Rhea County @ Baylor

kamerb

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baylor's defense is a lot better than I expected. Baylor's front 7 just flat out controlled the line of scrimmage and with an offense like Rhea's you have to control the line of scrimmage to be successful. Rhea's defense wasn't that bad, it's just Baylor's QBs made some nice throws and the recievers made the catches. Rhea's biggest problem but should be fixable is all the personal foul and penalties in general. Also the turnovers by Rhea at key moments killed them.

My thoughts on tonight.

The offense could not get anything going. After flashing so much promise in the scrimmages, they were flat out stopped by turnovers and a monstrous front seven for Baylor. The Red Raiders owned the line on defense against a tough rushing attack from Rhea County. There were a few bright spots, though. Mason Stephenson had a couple of decent runs. Eddie Davis stood out on both offense and defense. Bice had a nice carry up the gut, but they all seemed to have trouble finding that first down marker. The O-line needs to get off the ball faster and block. Our QB looked rattled. He is just a sophomore and just started against a team with a level of talent that a good chunk of the other sophomores on Rhea's roster, or most rosters for that matter, will never have to face in their entire high school career in the most difficult offensive position on the field. He deserves some slack. I have full faith the offense will make the necessary adjustments over the next week and be ready when McMinn Central comes to visit.

Grade: F

I was proud of our defense. Yes, they gave up deep passes, but even Baylor can't run those every play because of the risk of interceptions and incompletions. If you run the ball for a short gain, you have lost a down, but you're that much closer to getting a 1st down. If you pass and it falls incomplete, that's a used down that earned you nothing but the clock stopping. Rhea defended the run about as well as I had anticipated, and kept a lot of short passes controlled. They won't be facing a team like Baylor in region play, no offense to any other teams, but it is just a fact. Baylor can pick and choose who they want from just about wherever they want. There is always going to be a marked talent difference between public and upper-level private schools. Our defense played well enough for me to feel confident about it heading into the rest of the season. That score would have been much uglier if not for some big stops by our defense, but they have to work on pass coverage.

Grade: C+

Injury update: I've heard from multiple sources that Doug White (#30, Junior, OLB/RB) is likely lost for the season due to a compression fracture in his collarbone. He had a great game before the injury, and I hate to see a kid go down like that after such a great start. Prayers for him and his family that he makes a speedy recovery.

Suprised with the result. I knew Baylor would be good but I honestly was expecting a much closer game. I predicted 28-17 Baylor. I think Rhea still finishes the season 8-2 and makes a push in the 5A playoffs.

Why didn't Rhea try to get the ball to the big tight end more? I felt they could have at least threw a few jump ball to him?

I think it's good to play tough opponents early. I imagine Rhea will respond next week and put up 35 of their own.

Pathetic and extremely disappointing. If we play this as poorly as we did last night, don't change some personnel, and don't change some schemes, we will end up 4-6.

I completely disagree. I think even without improving y'all would still win 7 games. But you will improve so I see you winning 8 and making another deep push. That was a very very good Baylor team.

However the fumbles and personal fouls have to be cleaned up.

Edited by Spartan4Life