#2 (6A) Oakland @ #4 (4A) Haywood

GoPats2019

I agree with a lot your saying. But my original argument was that Middle and East overall have more better programs. It doesn't mean that there are not good teams or programs in West TN. Haven, station, Milan, Henry just to name a few. Back in the day those teams plus Humbolt, Bartlett, central-merry, Bruceton HR, Lake Co, Gtown, etc.....

All I'm trying to say is football is better in Middle and East. It maybe because there are more teams, it maybe because those schools have a better football culture, it maybe because there are more reporters to get the word out, it maybe.....

Are there great teams in every grand division, absolutely. Can a team from West beat a team from Mid or East? Absolutely, happens every year. But overall, in most cases, the middle And East teams come out on the winning side.

One point I want to make is nobody has mentioned that in 5A there are hardly any teams in West Tn. Not a whole lot in 6A either..... just a thought

What I bolded is the biggest point here. The population in middle and east TN is larger. There are more people, more high schools, and thus, more good high school football teams. But make no mistake about it, the good teams out west can play ball. There just aren't as many of them. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I bolded is the biggest point here. The population in middle and east TN is larger. There are more people, more high schools, and thus, more good high school football teams. But make no mistake about it, the good teams out west can play ball. There just aren't as many of them. 

I have to agree with what MSURacer said. First, there's no 6A schools in West Tennessee other than schools in Shelby County. The same goes for 5A with the exception of Henry County, Brighton, Munford, and Shelby County schools. 

There's 95 counties in the state of Tennessee, 21 of them are in West Tennessee. So there's 74 counties in Middle and East Tennessee alone. And Memphis is not growing like Nashville and Murfreesboro. So all West Tennessee has is Memphis and Jackson. And back to the 21 counties in West Tennessee, 9 of them only have 1 high school in that county. 

Have to admit, I was really surprised by the Oakland/Haywood score. I was hoping Haywood would compete better than what the scoreboard indicates.