Who will have the best track team in the Chattanoo

peacemaker

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kenwoodrun

Notice the thread, it asks who will have the BEST team in Chattanooga. It depends on what classification you are talking about, first of all. I don't keep up with A-AA whatsoever, so Hixson, you may have a point...I know your team was a top 5 state team last year, so you are probably legit. I can tell you on the AAA side of things, there shouldn't be anyone able to touch Brentwood High's girls. Memphis East is always good, and Riverdale still has Scales and Clark to @@@@ up points. DII is all Harpeth Hall, again. Head to head, Brentwood would smack Harpeth Hall around, so BW is easily #1 right now.

As for boys, it's a lot more interesting. Hunters Lane has been so dominant, but they are going to come back down to earth a little bit this year, and it will be a lot more competitive. Cordova, Science Hill, Houston, probably Farragut, and a few others will be in the mix. It mostly depends on who gets the points in the jumps and the sprints vacated by Sean Waller...which favors Melrose, Cordova and the Memphis crew. Remember, depth doesn't mean nearly as much in track. Sean Waller almost single handedly scored enough points to win the state AAA title BY HIMSELF. In DII, I would imagine McCallie and MBA will wage a good war.

Remember, you can have 9 people qualify for state out of a weak region (Chattanooga, for example), and if they all get last at state in their event, you lose to a team that has ONE person qualify who wins their event. Depth in a county or district meet will mean little to nothing in Memphis next May. State track AAA champs will come out of Knoxville, Metro Nashville, or Memphis...that's just the way it goes.

I'm not naive enough to list us amongst any of these teams in this thread, and we were 7th last year.

Sean Waller didn't ALMOST win state single-handedly, he DID. Waller 52, Melrose 51.

Sorry it's been so long, I've been pretty busy with stuff up here...state XC was awesome, sorry I didnt get to see you kenwood or peacemaker, but I hope y'all enjoyed it as much as I did...that was the first time I have ever watched a state meet. It was unreal.

Guest kenwoodrun

Hey, I just realized that you guys may have been actually just been talking about just Chattanooga...for the past several years, "who's going to be the best in Chattanooga" was automatically synonomous with "who's going to be the best at state"...but w/ state no longer being at GPS, maybe you guys were talking about the best in the Chattanooga area itself. In which case, my post doesn't belong in this thread, I was obviously surveying the whole state...

In any event, rock on, everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

In DII last year, Baylor was the best team in the state, because they beat us (MBA), and we beat Hunters Lane and FRA in Nashville city meets. We lost a few people at MBA, but hopefully we will still be a force in the city and state. Baylor has plenty of fast guys, as their football team indicated (Courtney Braswell)

• 2 months later...
Guest koolschool

Oops! Well i didnt mention that i am from Soddy Daisy High. I don't know if the coach went to Bradley or if he is even coaching track. His name is Coach Mitchell and he was the only reason alot of my friends ran. My best friend chose to play gay soccer. I throw discus if any one cares.

Guest kenwoodrun

Chief, if you have any depth at all in the field and moderate speed you should do very well at the section level. The whole goal for most of us is to see how many folks we can get into the state meet...and out of your section I think you should succeed in qualifying heavily in the 800 and up and the 4x8. I would be confident that you are a top ten team in the state based on your distance talent ALONE. I would also imagine that you may have the leg speed to win the 4x8 on the boys side. So much depends on where the talent lies in your section on who you can get out in the other events. I've found that the teams that have won the state AAA track title in the years I've been watching have been rich in the field...a lot seems to ride on that batch of points because the relays seem to get split up pretty evenly amongst schools.

I've stayed far away from the stuff being thrown around on dyestat regarding your miler on the girls side, but it's obvious that she is good enough to win it if she stays healthy, etc. My question is, why the massive speculation on the mile when I'd think she'd be equally interested in the 3200 being a state XC champ. I was a pretty good 5K guy, but I just didn't have the leg speed to hang w/ the big dogs in the mile. What is her true forte, the 3200 or the 1600?