best in tn all classifications

zoneread56

What's all the hype about Brentwood Academy???? Saw them yesterday 3 times. Sure Garland and #5 can play with anybody but they looked just ok. Nothing special there.

You need to wait until BA gets it's football players on the court before you judge how good they will be this year.  This statement holds true for many of the D2 schools.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBHS also needs to figure out a way to beat Ensworth, who has beaten them in 2 out of the last 3 state semi-final games.

I dont think that will happen this year, last year was all Bone with a steady dose of cambridge. None of the CBHS kids played well besides Douglas and i think that was the game that he grew up and realized that he has to score for this team to win the big games. The seniors have basically lost the state games for him the past two years so maybe the tables will turn since he is the senior now. Wiseman will be good but he isnt good enough to beat CBHS by himself right now. Garland may be the best prospect overall but Douglas is the more electric player in D2-AA now that bone is gone. Itll come down to BA CBHS imo. Bone was a SEC guard its hard to replace that with backups. If you haven't seen much of Douglas itll be scary this year. He's put on around 10 lbs, looks stronger more explosive and the shots are falling alot more than they arent. He had a long summer against much stiffer competition so the DII guards without a high major future will be easy money. Expect their big Lyons to have a great year too. 

Edited by TonyG

What's all the hype about Brentwood Academy???? Saw them yesterday 3 times. Sure Garland and #5 can play with anybody but they looked just ok. Nothing special there.

BA is missing 3 starters and 2 more rotation guys bc of football. They're special just wait on it. They will be without players for another 3 weeks seeing that they are defending state champs in football. And the QB Oatsvall is imo the most important player on their team, Garland defers to him alot for scoring in big games which is the reason why he has been the MVP of the tourney the past two years. Theyll be in memphis the second week of December check em out at full form before taking them lightly. 

Edited by TonyG

I dont think that will happen this year, last year was all Bone with a steady dose of cambridge. None of the CBHS kids played well besides Douglas and i think that was the game that he grew up and realized that he has to score for this team to win the big games. The seniors have basically lost the state games for him the past two years so maybe the tables will turn since he is the senior now. Wiseman will be good but he isnt good enough to beat CBHS by himself right now. Garland may be the best prospect overall but Douglas is the more electric player in D2-AA now that bone is gone. Itll come down to BA CBHS imo. Bone was a SEC guard its hard to replace that with backups. If you haven't seen much of Douglas itll be scary this year. He's put on around 10 lbs, looks stronger more explosive and the shots are falling alot more than they arent. He had a long summer against much stiffer competition so the DII guards without a high major future will be easy money. Expect their big Lyons to have a great year too. 

You may be right, but I wouldn't count my chickens before they are hatched.  Ricky always seems to come up with something.  Ensworth has won 5 gold balls and 1 silver ball in basketball in 10 years of varsity competition, so you write Ensworth off preseason at your own peril. 

BA is missing 3 starters and 2 more rotation guys bc of football. They're special just wait on it. They will be without players for another 3 weeks seeing that they are defending state champs in football. And the QB Oatsvall is imo the most important player on their team, Garland defers to him alot for scoring in big games which is the reason why he has been the MVP of the tourney the past two years. Theyll be in memphis the second week of December check em out at full form before taking them lightly. 

Agreed. They are super fun to watch. Their Senior and Junior players this year have played for 4 years together dating back to their freshman and 8th grade years playing varsity. This BA team will be high paced with a lot of talent. When their full squad is back from football you will want to check them out, I for sure will. 

You may be right, but I wouldn't count my chickens before they are hatched.  Ricky always seems to come up with something.  Ensworth has won 5 gold balls and 1 silver ball in basketball in 10 years of varsity competition, so you write Ensworth off preseason at your own peril. 

I won’t write them off they are a top team in the state imo but in the past they have had a bonafide #1 player that by themselves could will them over any DII team on any given night. If you look in the past you see Corn Elder, Andrew Fleming, and Bone recently and I don’t see that type of production coming out of Wiseman as of right now. It will happen very soon but not right now for him. I really think this league has too strong of guard play for him to carry that team all the way and post men need people to get them the ball. For Ens this year I look at them to be similar to Lausanne of recently, yeah they have the big guy in the middle that will scare you but the guard play isn't strong enough to propel you past the best. Wouldn't shock me if McCallie is 2nd out of the MiddleEast. 

And I sure wouldn't doubt Rick's coaching, some would say that Luckett blew it in 2015 against BA. The stall ball is what cost them to lose that 8 point lead with 2 minutes left. 

Edited by TonyG

I know its not TN but its relative to TN talent. I checked out Olive Branch last week on their opening night. It was underwhelming seeing that they have the #4 2019 player in the nation in Jeffries and 3 other 2019/2020 kids with D1 interest/offers. Yes i know the kids are young but so was East last year. This group is so poorly coached that it makes you upset. Seeing that most of their top players were middle school students in memphis it wouldnt shock me if they are back across the stateline next year due to coaching and a underwhelming season. OB isn't a bball school as has never been so priority may not be made to up the coaching, if so alot of money will be missed due to the talent they could lose. Bad coaching and management of players irks me man, i could only imagine what a decent coach could do with these kids.

Edited by TonyG

I know its not TN but its relative to TN talent. I checked out Olive Branch last week on their opening night. It was underwhelming seeing that they have the #4 2019 player in the nation in Jeffries and 3 other 2019/2020 kids with D1 interest/offers. Yes i know the kids are young but so was East last year. This group is so poorly coached that it makes you upset. Seeing that most of their top players were middle school students in memphis it wouldnt shock me if they are back across the stateline next year due to coaching and a underwhelming season. OB isn't a bball school as has never been so priority may not be made to up the coaching, if so alot of money will be missed due to the talent they could lose. Bad coaching and management of players irks me man, i could only imagine what a decent coach could do with these kids.

Jeffries will be at East when Lawson leave and go to prep school

Found out last night Christian Brothers is without Douglas until jan. Won by 20 against Kipp but they will have to really step up to do well without him. The record may not change much due to their second half of the season being tougher but they have Houston and BA before then so their chances are slim in those without him. You're losing defense on your opponents best player around 20 pts and many assists. Its a minor stress fracture so he should be fine.