CAK@Betsy

lawnman

Yes, particularly in CAK's base offense where they passed around 80% of the time IF they were not running clock at the end of a game. But with the sudden change of QB's without an offseason to get everything fine tuned, CAK at least last week threw the ball much less, and the QB at roughly 6-0 215 is a tough kid who likes contact. With him also being a starting MLB / ILB, tough decision for a coach unless its a game like this one, where you know you have to pull out all the stops to have a chance to win.

I fully expect Betsy to be ready and tough, but it was enlightening to read a few posts back about the teams they had played and beaten. I believe they are very good, but not perhaps as battle tested as they could be. This will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Elizabethton's QB does a lot for them also. Punts, Returns Kicks and Punts, Not sure if he played DB last week.....A lot is riding on him also....a twisted ankle at the wrong time could be a problem for the Cyclones as well.  Big drop-off if he were to go down........

Interesting match-up for sure.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are referring to CAK's play calling. As I understand it, the current head coach, who has a defensive background has left the OC position with one of Bradley's former assistants, and he is calling plays. This is logical given that they have, for the majority of the year run that system "with a few wrinkles added in." Bradley's system is a one of a kind system, and IMO, the new coach only had two choices. Change systems all together or let one of Bradley's assistants call the plays. He chose the latter.

Coach Bradley was and is a great coach, but one of the few knocks on him is that he did not let his assistants (with the exception of his father) do as much as many assistants do, and therefore, I think the new OC was not really experienced or ready in regard to play calling. This showed particularly early on, but improved dramatically as would be expected as that OC got experience in an actual game. I do think a few decisions he made were very questionable, but overall, for a first year OC I think he did a great job.

As a CAK watcher, couldn't agree more. One thing I don't think many have mentioned on this board is the fantastic job the offense has done this season. No returning starting receivers, 0 capable traditional running backs on the roster, and an offensive line that was/is a huge question mark week in and week out, the offensive staff has done a remarkable job. Too many of the football games won by the Warriors were shootouts, the defense definitely has been lacking this year, but proud of the Warrior offense for losing CRB and still being as productive as they have been without the traditional weapons CAK is used to.

Elizabethton's QB does a lot for them also. Punts, Returns Kicks and Punts, Not sure if he played DB last week.....A lot is riding on him also....a twisted ankle at the wrong time could be a problem for the Cyclones as well. Big drop-off if he were to go down........

You are right about our QB Cory Russell and remember he was our running back before our starting QB got hurt two weeks ago.The Cyclones would not be the same without him and he is just a sophomore.

As a CAK watcher, couldn't agree more. One thing I don't think many have mentioned on this board is the fantastic job the offense has done this season. No returning starting receivers, 0 capable traditional running backs on the roster, and an offensive line that was/is a huge question mark week in and week out, the offensive staff has done a remarkable job. Too many of the football games won by the Warriors were shootouts, the defense definitely has been lacking this year, but proud of the Warrior offense for losing CRB and still being as productive as they have been without the traditional weapons CAK is used to.

+1

I will add my opinion that #9 has done a great job at RB this year. He has gotten his pad level down from last year, has gotten bigger, stronger, and has PLENTY of football speed as was seen as he pulled away from the DB's last week on his long offensive run, and on his pick 6 as he pulled away from everyone. He is quite a player. In addition, #14 is a load and runs well too, and #26 (used to be #32) has had some very nice runs as a freshman and if he continues to grow and stay in the weight room shows great promise.

With #9 and #14, it has been a long time since CAK has had 2 guys in the backfield, one at 190, the other at 215 that can really run like a running back. The last time I remember was Keenan Kolinsky when he would line up during 3 wides with Joseph Bennett in the backfield. If CAK can throw the ball enough to keep the defense honest, they can  put some pressure on a defense.

Very curious to see how this game plays out

Eliz has only beaten one team with a winning record ( NV at 6-5 lost 49-14 in 1st round)

CAK has beaten 3 teams with winning records

Eliz hasn't beaten a team that's still alive in the playoffs

CAK has beaten 3 teams still alive ( GCA, DCA and Scott co.)

Eliz beat PF 47-7

CAK beat PF 56-34 in 1st rd

Eliz beat MC 48-19 in 1st rd

CAK beat MC 42-27

Eliz lost by 7 to Science Hill ( solid 6A team)

CAk lost by 2 to Webb ( possible state champ in DII small school)

I think this will be the most interesting game in the bracket this week.

This is interesting.

Elizabethton's QB does a lot for them also. Punts, Returns Kicks and Punts, Not sure if he played DB last week.....A lot is riding on him also....a twisted ankle at the wrong time could be a problem for the Cyclones as well.  Big drop-off if he were to go down........

Since you guys have played both, how do Eliz and Alcoa match up against each other?

Since you guys have played both, how do Eliz and Alcoa match up against each other?

Alcoa is in a league of their own. I know you directed this question to another, but IMHO, there is no comparison. There is 3A and then there is Alcoa. But let's be fair. 3A is made up of medium size schools, OR smaller private schools that are multiplied up. For instance, CAK will dress a little over 40 players. Alcoa is in an open zone area where they can draw from the "all stars" of Blount County with Maryville at or near capacity, and William Blount and Heritage both very large schools with poor football programs. So when you add together those FACTS and then add in that Alcoa has some great home grown talent, they are not only at a different level than the rest of 3A but also dress 90 - 100 players year in, year out. So you do the math. How does a typical 3A school deal with a program that could compete at the 5A and 6A level competitively?

Please understand, they have done this completely legally. No criticism of Alcoa. This is a TSSAA issue. And when the privates are gone next year, such as CAK and CPA, this will be painfully apparent. There will be NO ONE who can compete with a 6A size program in the 3A ranks. Mark my words. To lose in their environment would be a travesty. To win it all should be expected every year. They have every (legal) advantage and it will take an anomaly to jump up and beat them one year, OR it will take a coaching change to a very poor coach who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, which I do not see happening. OR it will take a move by the TSSAA, which I also don't see happening because of the complexity of the open zone issue. JMO.  YMMV

I remember playing Alcoa a few years ago and when they came out with over 90 players and there we were with about 48 I thought wow and that just says they are a good program that draws a lot of good talent.

They are not a good program, they are a GREAT program that draws a lot of talent. Having said that, they have a fantastic opportunity because of their unique situation in Blount County to not only draw from talent within Alcoa and talent within the county, but also draw from outside the county, at a tuition rate (used to be $500, I believe it is $1000 / yr now). If you put that all together, along with strong Alcoa zoned talent and good coaching and community support, you have an ideal atmosphere for a dynasty. And that is what they have done with that opportunity.