Waverly host Riverside for round 2 of round 2

vandyfan1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I think the outcome will be different, but the game may be very different. Waverly and Scotts Hill are both at a disadvantage this week in prep for their next games...the things that you did well against them last time will be changed, and the things you didn't do well will be exploited.

How hard will it be to sell your kids on the idea that a team you just beat handily can come to your house and eliminate you? In theory the kids "get the moment", but in their minds the game will be the same. This could be a dangerous game for the Tigers...I think y'all have the better team, but the Panthers aren't pushovers and will come to play every down. Best game vs. best game and Waverly wins, just better bring your best game.

I can't say that I think the outcome will be different, but the game may be very different. Waverly and Scotts Hill are both at a disadvantage this week in prep for their next games...the things that you did well against them last time will be changed, and the things you didn't do well will be exploited.

How hard will it be to sell your kids on the idea that a team you just beat handily can come to your house and eliminate you? In theory the kids "get the moment", but in their minds the game will be the same. This could be a dangerous game for the Tigers...I think y'all have the better team, but the Panthers aren't pushovers and will come to play every down. Best game vs. best game and Waverly wins, just better bring your best game.

I totally agree with this Trader but good coaches make the right adjustments when another team stops your bread and butter. In saying that what the other teams do to stop you will open them up for other things. Agree?

NO.

I dont think he is better than the QB that mckenzie had{IMO}. From what I seen in Riversides QB they like to throw floating passes to the outside and run him up the middle. Our D will eat your lunch if you try to do that like when they played Mckenzie. But they may not even try that at all. Riverside is going to bring it no doubt! 

Edited by vandyfan1

I totally agree with this Trader but good coaches make the right adjustments when another team stops your bread and butter. In saying that what the other teams do to stop you will open them up for other things. Agree?

I absolutely do agree, but you have no idea beforehand what that will be...in game adjustments are on the fly and not available for practice, risking mistakes and turnovers . Defensive adjustments are harder still...you fill gaps to counter what they have working, and you are liable to disorient your defense and allow a big play. Sounds like I'm predicting a meltdown, but that's not the case...just saying that Riverside has the advantage of learning from the first meeting's shortcomings. 

I absolutely do agree, but you have no idea beforehand what that will be...in game adjustments are on the fly and not available for practice, risking mistakes and turnovers . Defensive adjustments are harder still...you fill gaps to counter what they have working, and you are liable to disorient your defense and allow a big play. Sounds like I'm predicting a meltdown, but that's not the case...just saying that Riverside has the advantage of learning from the first meeting's shortcomings.

I think this will b a different game. Not predicting a rhs win, waverly very talented team all way around. Just think riverside will b more prepared. Yes having smith back sheds a complete different light on the matchup. He has put the team on his shoulders a few times this season. No disrespect to rhs players. He is just a key ingredient that makes everything rises. A lot of what I go on is the panthers had 3 scoring opportunities where they came up short last time they met. Yes waverly rose up to the threat but their was some success without their qb. Waverly is hard to stop n I figure Friday night will b no different. Will come down to who wants it most n turnovers. Good luck to both sides especially to the seniors.

I think this will b a different game. Not predicting a rhs win, waverly very talented team all way around. Just think riverside will b more prepared. Yes having smith back sheds a complete different light on the matchup. He has put the team on his shoulders a few times this season. No disrespect to rhs players. He is just a key ingredient that makes everything rises. A lot of what I go on is the panthers had 3 scoring opportunities where they came up short last time they met. Yes waverly rose up to the threat but their was some success without their qb. Waverly is hard to stop n I figure Friday night will b no different. Will come down to who wants it most n turnovers. Good luck to both sides especially to the seniors.

Riverside has the reputation of being "tough". Mentally and physically you have to beat them down to win, and they have beaten some "better" teams than themselves because of that. The 4A Lexington Tigers a few years back had a 9-1 regular season with the only loss to the Panthers. Smith is the fuel that runs the engine...good team without, but a different team with him, and Waverly will see that first hand. Waverly is probably the best team position by position that Scotts Hill has ever faced...there are no weak spots anywhere on their team to account for, and if they had a Rice, Richardson, or Goldsmith type "star" player to accent the team, I'd make them the favorite to win it all.

This could be a nail biter if Riverside gets off to a good start, or could be a two or three score win by Waverly...but I doubt that the Tigers run away with the Panthers early and cruise to the win. Gotta' pull for Riverside...fierce rivalry, but lots of respect for our neighbors too...get after 'em Panthers!