Riverdale at Hardin Valley

Digger20

Well, the season is over and next year awaits. Looking back this year there have been a lot of questions. The one glaring thing in this reporters eyes is the Jekyell and Hyde team that they were this year. I cant recall a team that was so up one week and down the next. The mistakes and plenalties this year were higher than the past several years. I know it was the first year for this staff but how much of that fall back on them? There seems to be a lack of cohesiveness with this staff. Im not sure if its because they were new or because they may be not on the same page when it comes to what needs to be done. Lets hope they find the discipline they need to instill in the program through work ethic and dedication to the team to take it up another notch next year.

There were flashes this year but certainly the team/coaching staff did not exceed expectations.  Not really disappointing but also nothing to claim as a huge success.  Transitions are tough and sometimes just require addition by subtraction.  Hard to get guys to buy into new approaches if they've been doing the same wrong thing for years.

A few quick observations:

1.  If LOD is encouraged then you know some of those attention to detail items that always plagued the team are being addressed. 

2.  This team lacked the mental toughness and leadership that better teams have.  That kind of thing shows when you can't play well two weeks in a row and can't get ready to play after a bus ride.  I suspect this will be much improved next year. Senior team leadership has to demand mental and physical toughness from the team. Coaches coach but players lead.

3.  There is no excuse for the state of the kicking game.  That falls squarely on the shoulders of Coach Kriesky.

4.  A lot of close games lost this year that the team should win next year if everyone gets on board.

5.  If there are coaching deficiencies as noted in the post above CWK needs to address them ASAP.

Year two is where really good coaching starts to show. Looking forward to it!

I look at this year as a year having to first break the bad habits developed at R'dale this last 10 years.  Hard to do that in one year.

Now I am NOT kidding about going and working in the weight room NOW, and NO playing.  Do serious sets and push each other to better yourselves.  You want a goal to shoot for, then look up Gaston Miller's stats in the weight room and TRY to duplicate them.  Young man had some of the best pound for pound stats I have ever witnessed from High School to the Pros!

Coaches talk to the folks at Olympus so the young men can lift over the Christmas break.  Championship Football is ALL year!  Losers goof off, winners are at it EVERY DAY!

Players even if you can't lift, you can still RUN!  Get a cheap backpack and put 10-25 pounds of weights in it.  By the time the clone was a Senior, he was doing a mile twice a day with 75 pounds in his pack.  Try and beat that!

Now it is the off season.   COACHES get the Chief statue painted!

Assign someone to see to the maintence of the field.

Contact Coach Wyatt and get our final kicker to the same clinics Siegel's kickers go to.

Booster club, now is the time to make sure there are funds in the kitty for GOOD busses for long road games.  This is especially true for playoff games.

Gentlemen, some of us will be watching ALL year!