Rhea County Off-season

kamerb

According to Coach Pemberton at the football banquet, this year's rising senior football class currently stands around 20, making it one of the largest to ever come through the program. All but maybe a couple have been on the team since their freshman year, and they need 11 wins in 2017 to break the record of 42-10 set by this year's graduating class.

Edited by kamerb

My biggest concern for the coming fall is that blasted "injury bug." If we stay healthy, we're going to be in contention for the gold ball...

I agree. With Farragut, Ooltewah, Cleveland, and Independence moving to 6A, a deep run to Cookeville is definitely in the realm of possibility.

Lenoir City will be our weakest opponent. Marion County will give us all we want... If we are in the weights now, we'll be good then.

We just hope to give you guys a good game. I work with some dad's of Rhea players and when we hired Coach Harmon they all gave high praise to him and his strength and conditioning program. We are seeing why now. Kids are really bulking up and getting a lot stronger. We love him here and hope to hold on to him for a while.

Most of the rising seniors have been contributing a ton for a while, but are there any of the number that haven't that you guys think are poised for a breakout year?

Rising Seniors:

(* = started at some point in 2016)

#3 Chris Sturgeon (RB/DB)*

#55 Jawan Martin (MLB)*

#84 Bradley Evans (TE/DL)*

#22 Christian Simon (RB/DB)*

#6 Reece Cooley (WR/DB)*

#59 Ty Goodwin (C/MLB)*

#27 A. J. Velasco (RB/OLB)

#82 Brett Lloyd (WR/OLB)

#4 Jaden Austin (WR/DB)

#63 Logan Sullivan (OL/DL)*

#79 Will Boles (OL/DL)

#72 Tyler Shelton (OL/DL)*

#25 Brandon Hunt (FB/LB)*

#88 Jared Kamer (TE/OLB)

#30 Doug White (RB/LB)*

#62 Zach Swafford (C/DL)*

#41 Chase Suttles (LB/RB)

#44 Jay Graham (RB/LB)

#47 Mason Reynolds (TE/DT)

#52 Zach Holton (LB/OL)

#38 Dylan Lewis (DB/WR)

#32 Jose Marquez (WR/DB)

I know Suttles, Graham, Velasco, and Reynolds saw the field a lot this past year, but I'm not sure if they started. Nevertheless, there is more playing experience in this class as a whole than just about anybody.

Edited by kamerb