D2A State Championship Knox Webb vs. Lausanne

Spartan4Life

I understand what you are saying, but that isn't necessarily accurate, regardless of how dogmatically you make that statement. Acknowledgment of his past championship coached games is all fine and dandy, but it doesn't guarantee that he out coaches coach Locastro. All it does prove is that he's done it before. I guess we will find out Thursday.

I can agree with that. But history is the best predictor for the future. Maybe Meske does get out coached. History says that's not likely. Therefore, to make a prediction he will doesn't have as much weight as predicting Meske will out coach Lausanne.

Of course this is why they play the game. I've seen Meske out coached twice. Once against Maryville and once against Baylor....and he's been coaching for 20+ years.

Edited by Spartan4Life

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend. David Meske is second to very very few in the State of Tennessee with coaching. His 7 State Titles Speak for itself. No way Lausanne wins because of coaching. It will have to be the athletes.

In my opinion, Webb does have the coaching advantage, but by a very slim margin. You don't just stumble upon 7 state titles. Coach Locastro is a phenomenal one as well though. From what I gather, he also believes this is the best staff he has had behind him in all his years. Have to remember that coaching is not only at the top. This may or may not play a factor, but with Webb having a lot of two way players, it will be harder to make in game adjustments before halftime. Lausanne on the other hand can make changes while the other side of the ball is on the field.

You made a great point about Webb chewing the clock which helps eliminate the depth advantage. If they can sustain long drives and not get forced into 3 and outs they will be in better shape. Lausanne will play fast offensively to try and wear down Webb when they are on defense.

While I understand people's frustration with the fact that Lausanne co-ops with Power Center, it is foolish for everyone to act like most of their team does not go to school at Lausanne. They have one player who gets meaningful playing time (doesn't start) on defense, none on offense, and 2-3 on special teams. Clearly this is an advantage but it is not as if they have "city school athletes with private school coaching" as you say.

As for the actual game, I believe it will be a great one. Personally, I believe Lausanne pulls it out but will not be shocked to see it go the other way. Lausanne has played multiple other wing T teams this season (obviously none as good as Webb) but they have at least seen which can't hurt. I also believe that others on the board underestimate Lausanne's team speed. Clearly Webb will have the fastest guy on the field but I think after that it is a push. I'll go Lausanne 34 Webb 31

Not underestimating their speed because I saw it firsthand and Webb is faster. Lausanne is bigger in the OL/DL and more athletic there but Webb has elite speed.

Edited by Playerscoach

Oh, I can see this coming. If Lausanne wins, it will be because of the players on the team that attend PCA. Oh, this is going to get UGLY if Lausanne wins.

Lausanne's RB is special.

Gray would be 4th on Webbs RB depth chart. He's a good player, and had a great year but Webb has two very good backs and one that is simply a generational type player if he stays healthy.

Lausanne takes the L unless Webb turns it over a bunch. They are the two best teams in DIIA though.

Gray would be 4th on Webbs RB depth chart. He's a good player, and had a great year but Webb has two very good backs and one that is simply a generational type player if he stays healthy.

Lausanne takes the L unless Webb turns it over a bunch. They are the two best teams in DIIA though.

That is just false. Gray is the best rb in the division, maybe the state, especially his grade. He did just win Mr Football and has the likes of Alabama and Ohio State recruiting him. I can accept your prediction though, as I too believe it'll be a great game.

I think WilsonJr is hitting on a very important issue. Lausanne does not appear to have many players going both ways. I don't know about Webb as I haven't seen them this year.

I look for Webb to run their well-disciplined, precise offense with a little variation depending on where the talent is that particular year. If it's at RB this year, then look out-- however Lausanne has a really good defense, but it appeared to be geared toward pressuring the QB without blitzes and playing good pass coverage as opposed to straight up run defense. Then again, I didn't see Lausanne really load the box either to stop the run. Lausanne has a really good QB who appears to improvise some and their RB really is special even though he's just a sophomore. I think Lausanne's defense is as good as I've seen in a while (remember I haven't seen Webb). Then again, all the talk about Webb's RBs may mean solid chunks of yardage without a lot of 60 yard long runs as Lausanne's DBs can close quickly.

In my mind, this game is a toss up because of off tackle runs by Webb and the middle LB of Lausanne (6-5 230). If Webb let's Lausanne get into a run and gun rhythm, it's really hard to stop. If Lausanne loads the box especially with a combination and rotation of starting OL and DL on defense which I haven't seen them do, I think they have the athletes to hold the outside. Can Webb throw very well? If it's strictly run, then I think Lausanne wins after halftime adjustments, but if Webb can mix it up, Webb wins.

Sorry for the rambling. I think it's going to be a great game.

Lausanne constantly run blitzes. Not sure where you got they don't blitz? Webb beat Oak Ridge with Howard catching the ball. Lausanne does not have the perimeter physicality or athletes to keep up with Howard. You guys thinking they do are going to be shocked at his speed. I didn't believe it either until I saw it.

That is just false. Gray is the best rb in the division, maybe the state, especially his grade. He did just win Mr Football and has the likes of Alabama and Ohio State recruiting him. I can accept your prediction though, as I too believe it'll be a great game.

What? Lol. You'll see. Howard is the best in Div IIA and his teammates are better than Gray IMO. He's had a great year no doubt.

Him winning Mr Football is a great accomplishment for sure. Still think hes 5th or 6th best back in IIA though.

What? Lol. You'll see. Howard is the best in Div IIA and his teammates are better than Gray IMO. He's had a great year no doubt.

Him winning Mr Football is a great accomplishment for sure. Still think hes 5th or 6th best back in IIA though.

No doubt they are all good but IMO Gray is better than them. Agree to disagree I suppose. I'm just pumped for Thursday

Let's goooo!!! I love people talking about this game. Getting me more and more pumped.

Webb's running backs splits carries which is why none of them were going to win Mr. Football this year.

Agree with this. As I said, three very good backs, but IMO it's disrespectful to say Gray would be 4th string (I know you are not the one who said it.) Obviously stats are not the end all be all but his really could've been better but in most games he played a half or less along with sharing carries with a running QB. I hope this doesn't come off as disrespectful, but I'd personally take Gray over any of their 3, including Howard.

Let's goooo!!! I love people talking about this game. Getting me more and more pumped.

Webb's running backs splits carries which is why none of them were going to win Mr. Football this year.

Agree with this. As I said, three very good backs, but IMO it's disrespectful to say Gray would be 4th string (I know you are not the one who said it.) Obviously stats are not the end all be all but his really could've been better but in most games he played a half or less along with sharing carries with a running QB. I hope this doesn't come off as disrespectful, but I'd personally take Gray over any of their 3, including Howard.

Your opinion.

I haven't seen Howard or any of the others so I have no way of knowing. Stating that he's 5th or 6th in IIA sounds ... very ... well, just wrong. Evidently, there are others who see things differently then you because the award ISN'T stat driven. Cordarrian Richardson won the award  this year in 2A and he DOESN'T have the stats. but he was the correct selection regardless of stats. I happen to think a young man winning this award as a sophomore speaks volumes. I also happen to think that the people who awards these honors on these young men probably considered those young men that you mentioned and they think Gray is better. They've been giving these awards for a while now, so I think these people know what they are doing. I'm inclined to go with what they think rather then go with what you think.

My opinion.

Edited by kwc