TOP IN STATE POUND FOR POUND

TD2

I'm basing my P4P with some explanation. Just my opinion and my thoughts might be way off the mark... hope I don't offend anyone. 

1. Khamari Whimper: physically stronger and faster than all wrestlers in Tennessee. Enough said here. Fargo All American.

2. Drew Nicholson: Physically is a man now. He's beaten nationally ranked kids during the season. This kid might be the best wrestler 160 and below in the state. Not sure of birthday, but maybe old enough to be a college freshman.

3. Ethan Dendy : Again, another one who is a man now. He can beat and compete with most anyone nationally. Would be 4 timer if it weren't for injuries,  Murphy and Elijah Oliver. No one touches him 152 and below in the whole state. Dynamic on top and bottom and can pin anyone at anytime.

4. Nick Boykin: Physically mature, strong,  and athletic for a heavy weight. Fargo all American

5. Eli King: very quick, good technique, doesn't appear physically to have fully matured. A good weight program could transform him into a NCAA All American. Already Fargo All American. Have heard he's burnt out of wrestling. Might be ready to end career once season is over.

6. Sammy Evans: Strong and quick and is good on his feet unlike most Heavy weights at the High School level. Like to see him in college at UTC.  .

7. Knox Fuller: just plain good. Has all the tools to do very well in college. No one wants to wrestle him in Tennessee...just look how many kids are running from him in Div 1 this year.

8. Mason Reinhe: still young even though according to Baylor coaches, he should be a junior in high school. I could of placed him anywhere as high as 2 right now and not lose any sleep over it. He's a stud and many colleges will be after him. He's the best wrestler in the state p4p next year hands down.  Fargo All American

9. Matthew Sells: very steady and rarely loses. Love watching this kid

10. Judah Duhm: College ready and is another one who is a man now. He could be as high 3 on my p4p. He may be college age now but not sure.

11. Tommy Brackett: tough and a greco stud.

12. Trevor Rippy: long and deceptively strong. very under rated wrestler and I may have rated him too low as well.

13. Gavin Hutchens: No one competes with him in his division.

14. Ray Eason: Very athletic and quick.   

15. Gabriel Elkin: According to the TSSAA wrestling results he has  been the bridesmaid to three Father Ryan studs 3 years in a row in the state tournament: King. Eason, and Chalifaux. 

Best 120 in the state by far regardless of division.

There are many very good wrestlers that I may of accidentally left out.  If so, add them to your list

I shouldn't reply because I knew my opinion wouldn't be the popular one, but I'm going to anyway.

First, why do people have to start throwing jabs when someone has a different opinion? I lost all credibility because we disagree? It's okay for people to disagree on here, and have differing opinions without getting so upset. It's just a message board, and I'm sure Boykin doesn't really care if I have him in my top 10.

Second, I never said being a heavyweight takes their appomplishments away. I'm a big fan of Boykin and Evans. They'll probably go down as some the best HWT's TN has ever produced. I love watching them wrestle, and hope to see big things from them at the next level. I hope my previous post wasn't took as me trying to put them down, because it wasn't intended that way.

Third, for MY pound for pound list, I threw out their past accomplishments. I was looking at it from a pure stylistic matchup, and I stand behind my opinion. There's a completely different style of wrestling between the big boys vs the smaller wrestlers. In MY opinion, that skill set doesn't translate well against someone like King. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm okay with that, because it's just MY opinion, and I don't expect everyone to think the same way I do.

Fourth, at the end of the day, we are really comparing apples to oranges. It's just for fun, and all speculation. Pound for pound lists are just everyone making guesses. We're never going to know. I doubt we ever see King vs Boykin or Sells vs Evans and so on in the future. There's nothing to get bent out of shape about, because people don't have the same guesses as you about wrestling matchups that are never going to happen. We're just having fun with hypothetical scenarios.

I'd have to agree with the different style point. Snyder is amazing but I certainly don't think he's the best pound for pound in the NCAA. He won in the finals last year by 1 point with 2 seconds left. That's not exactly dominating. Did he have to worry about Gwiazdowski hitting him with a spladle when he shot to his knees? Haven't seen him hit too many inside trips lately. How would he respond if someone threw legs on him? Those are just a couple of examples of what heavyweights don't really have to worry too much about. Personally I'd put Gabe Dean above him and probably 4 or 5 others. Edited by Newestguy

I'd have to agree with the different style point. Snyder is amazing but I certainly don't think he's the best pound for pound in the NCAA. He won in the finals last year by 1 point with 2 seconds left. That's not exactly dominating. Did he have to worry about Gwiazdowski hitting him with a spladle when he shot to his knees? Haven't seen him hit too many inside trips lately. How would he respond if someone threw legs on him? Those are just a couple of examples of what heavyweights don't really have to worry too much about. Personally I'd put Drake above him and probably 4 or 5 others.

ok ok. So p4p means what would happen if all were same weight. Youre both assuming that weight is a light weight. What if everyone was considered heavys. Do you really think that many ppl could hang with Nick at his weight? This whole thing is fantasy warfare because alot of these guys will never wrestle because they will never be the same weight. My point was nick has done nothing to disprove him being the best or even top 2 or 3 p4p in the state. Not to discredit the others, but nick has always been on another level. And i just wont listen to someone say Nick wouldnt be top 10 p4p in TN when he is one of the best the state has ever produced. Its just unethical and insulting to him Edited by Bump11

I'd have to agree with the different style point. Snyder is amazing but I certainly don't think he's the best pound for pound in the NCAA. He won in the finals last year by 1 point with 2 seconds left. That's not exactly dominating. Did he have to worry about Gwiazdowski hitting him with a spladle when he shot to his knees? Haven't seen him hit too many inside trips lately. How would he respond if someone threw legs on him? Those are just a couple of examples of what heavyweights don't really have to worry too much about. Personally I'd put Drake above him and probably 4 or 5 others.

How many people last year beat 2x champs in the finals?

How many people last year beat 2x champs in the finals?

What does that have to do with styles? You obviously completely missed the point . Not sure if that was deliberate or just ignorance

On another note (though it's not politically correct to say), generally speaking, most really good bigger athletes focus on football.

Edited by Newestguy

What does that have to do with styles? You obviously completely missed the point . Not sure if that was deliberate or just ignorance

You said that Snyder shouldn't be considered bc he only beat Gwiz by 1 point. But he was a 2x champ going into that match. He was an olympic champ so yeah I think his style at whatever weight would still translate into a national championship. Just because he isn't as flashy or doesn't ride legs doesn't mean he isn't better than, say Nashon Garrett.

He can not be flashy, and still be better than everybody else.

Edited by WrestlingGod

You said that Snyder shouldn't be considered bc he only beat Gwiz by 1 point. But he was a 2x champ going into that match. He was an olympic champ so yeah I think his style at whatever weight would still translate into a national championship. Just because he isn't as flashy or doesn't ride legs doesn't mean he isn't better than, say Nashon Garrett.

bump

He can not be flashy, and still be better than everybody else.

Who said anything about flashy? Not sure how riding legs is flashy. Yes I give him kudos he was Olympic champion I said he was awesome . Larry Owings beat Dan Gable does that make him the best pound for pound ? My point being heavy weight is a different breed . To say it's as deep and competitiveness as the middleweights is living in Lala land Edited by Newestguy

Who said anything about flashy . Yes I give them kudos he was Olympic champion I said he was awesome . Larry Owens beat Dan Gable does that make him the best pound for pound ? My point being heavy weight is a different breed . Say it's a steep and competitiveness and middleweights is living in Lala land

Are you serious? You think hwt wasn't deep last year?? You think it's not competitive? You have got to be kidding. Comparing Larry Owings vs Dan Gable was not at all the same thing as World champ and olympic champ vs 2x defending NCAA champ.

Snyder is hands down the most credentialed wrestler at ANY weight in college and p4p the best in college. And Nick is the most decorated wrestler in TN and the best p4p. Brackett gets my #2 vote.

Are you serious? You think hwt wasn't deep last year?? You think it's not competitive? You have got to be kidding. Comparing Larry Owings vs Dan Gable was not at all the same thing as World champ and olympic champ vs 2x defending NCAA champ.

Snyder is hands down the most credentialed wrestler at ANY weight in college and p4p the best in college. And Nick is the most decorated wrestler in TN and the best p4p. Brackett gets my #2 vote.

I'm glad he gets your vote. Will give you a coookie. In the meantime check the super 32 and Fargo brackets and check the number of participants per weight class.

Also don't be surprised if Kramers kid doesn't shock the world . Maybe it'll be like the election and I'll be the only one that isnt surprised

Edited by Newestguy

Please don't shoot the messenger....but I Have to agree with Newest guy, at high school level, no way is there as much competition at HWT  as there is at middle weights. Boykin, great kid, wrestler, family, known him since he was wrestling tots. Also have known King that long as well. King is by far the best pound 4 pound (in my opinion) of any kid in the state. The accolades a wrestler has accomplished is based not only on his talent, but the level of competition he faces. At high school level, most HWT athletic kids are playing football and wrestling as a secondary sport. And thats if the football coach doesn't have his head up his #### and is onboard with wrestling. Great list of kids, know most of them and there parents, this controversy could be debated forever, just glad to see them on the mat and others trying to achieve there success which ultimately grows the sport of wrestling.