Region 8

memphiswrestling171

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who will be champ and runner up in each weight class? How many go to state from region 8 is it still 3 or 4?

The top 4 from each weight go now. It's hard to tell bc we won't know who will be where until the seeding meeting, but here are my predictions:

106- O'Callaghan (Bartlett), Becerra (Houston), Nguyen (GHS), Pringle (C-ville)

113- Cannon/Morgan (Arlington), Artilles (C-ville), Bowden (Houston), Koss (Bartlett)

120- Cannon/Morgan (Arlington), Bozarth (Bartlett), Kimble (C-ville), Kinnear (Houston)

(Cannon and Morgan have swapped in and out at 113/120, I think they would both win either weight.) 

126- Kerns (Arlington), Briant (C-ville), Spiecha (Houston), Franklin (Bartlett)

132- Taylor (Cordova), Longo (Bartlett), Fisher (Houston), Milner (Kingsbury)

138-Phillips (Arlington), Manuel (Houston)

145- Cockman (Bartlett), Johnson (Kingsbury), Baudoin (Arlington), Bowden (Houston)

152- Young (Houston), Worley (Arlington), Braswell (GHS), Smith (Bartlett)

160- Antcliffe (Arlington), John (Kingsbury), Dawson (Houston), Taylor (Bolton)

170- Nguyen (Kingsbury), Longo (Bartlett)

182- Moore (Arlington), Flemming (Houston)

195- Johnson (Bartlett), Anderson (Bolton), Bush (Cordova), Lewis (Arlington)

220- Roaten (Arlington), Cara (Bartlett), Martinez (Kingsbury)

Hwt- Metcalf (Arlington), Oliver (Bartlett), Holcomb (Collierville), Small (Kingsbury)

If I don't have four kids at a weight, it's because I think the remaining spots are up for grabs.

Edited by MemphisTiger14

You kinda have to scrounge around to find any compelling match ups at the weight classes as currently filled out.  It would be nice if Cockman went down to 138 to face Phillips for instance. Maybe the most compelling battle will be the wrestle-off at 113 up in Arlington.  

I do think that John (Kingsbury) and Antcliffe (Arlington) at 160 should be a good final.  I'd have to slightly favor John in that one.

It kills me that someone like Cedric Lynn from Memphis East, who won 160 last year and was listed as a junior, did not wrestle this year.  It hurts a region starving for good wrestlers.  

You kinda have to scrounge around to find any compelling match ups at the weight classes as currently filled out.  It would be nice if Cockman went down to 138 to face Phillips for instance. Maybe the most compelling battle will be the wrestle-off at 113 up in Arlington.  

I do think that John (Kingsbury) and Antcliffe (Arlington) at 160 should be a good final.  I'd have to slightly favor John in that one.

It kills me that someone like Cedric Lynn from Memphis East, who won 160 last year and was listed as a junior, did not wrestle this year.  It hurts a region starving for good wrestlers.  

Agreed. I'm struggling to find anything exciting about this year's tournament. Cockman and Johnson from Kingsbury haven't wrestled yet, so maybe that match will provide some action. I think Antcliffe and John will be a good match, as well as Kerns and Briant at 126. Roaten is the obvious pick to win 220, in my opinion, but Cara will be coming at him with everything he's got after the way that match went last year.

Any predictions for season awards, Nainten? I'll go with this right here:

Best Match- Cockman and Johnson in the 145 finals

Freshman of the Year- Artilles from C-ville

OW (Tournament)- Dawson from Bartlett

OW (Season)- Moore from Arlington

The coach of the year and tourney will go to Coach Simpson again, but Coach Shirley at Kingsbury should at least garner consideration for the way he has those guys wrestling.

I don't make predictions...but I like yours.  They are pretty reasonable.  Jones-Antcliffe and Briant-Kerns are could also be good candidates for best match.  OW will be interesting.  I will admit I don't know if criteria exist for it, but what do you do if no one makes it out of the first period on Canon, Moore, and Dawson?  It might end up as you suggest, but it would not surprise me to see any combination of the three get the OWs.  Cockman, Johnson, Jones, and Phillips are darkhorses here, IMO.  

Good call on Coach Shirley.  It would not surprise me if he won it outright, especially if Jones or Johnson take home gold.  I think coaches want to "spread the love" when they vote on this award.  I don't think many in the region would argue if he won it.  

I think Cade Young will end up as freshman of the year.  

Edited by Nainten

MemphisTiger your right this year hard to find any decent matchups other than what everybody already knows will be winners of most of weight classes. For freshman of the year I would have to give it to Artilles from cville or the young kid whose never wrestled from white station Geiser. Brand new to the sport of wrestling and has only a couple losses at the beginning of the season! OW for the season I would have to give to cannon! Bumping up weights to 113 or 120 and dominating both weights even outside of memphis! Coach of the year I def think Coach Shirley should get it! Talk about someone going into a school and restarting the program pretty much and has several studs and will def be the top team in memphis in my opinion in public school! He drives all of those kids to every match and tourney and those kids love being around him! Not saying other coaches aren't loved by their wrestlers but Shirley situation with Kingsbury is complete different! Glad to be part of the Memphis wrestling community but it has to grow a lot compared to over half the teams forfeit weight classes! And we have to get East program going again cause couple years ago seemed like they had a football team with lots of guys and now nothing! Congrats to all the Memphis teams for what they have done so far this season!

I don't know much about the Memphis area, but Moore and Cannon both seem like legitimate picks for OW. As I've stated before, Moore is a beast! He is going to finish high next weekend for sure. Hicks is the only 182 I've personally seen that looks as good as Moore. Can't believe he isn't being talked about as one of the top, but he is definitely going to ruin some kids' weekends next week... And Cannon is dominant as well. Very slick! 113 is pretty loaded, but I see him landing in there right behind TJ and Bowers. He has looked better than Palmer to me... but I have said that about other kids that Palmer has then beaten. So we'll see. 113 is going to be a brawl state wide for sure!

Cockman also impressed me when I saw him at CBHS Duals.

Yes it's been great watching Moore develop to a big stud for Arlington over the years! Yes Cockman is a very talented wrestler, not taking anything away from him at all but as we all know with the sport of wrestling you have to go to big time tournaments when you have talented kids like him and Arlington studs..never helps talented gifted wrestlers to wrestle little tournaments where other studs from the state aren't wrestling at! You always want to be challenged even if that means taking a loss against better opponents! Cockman and those other wrestlers we've mentioned will def upset some kids next weekend! Gonna be fun to watch!

I don't make predictions...but I like yours.  They are pretty reasonable.  Jones-Antcliffe and Briant-Kerns are could also be good candidates for best match.  OW will be interesting.  I will admit I don't know if criteria exist for it, but what do you do if no one makes it out of the first period on Canon, Moore, and Dawson?  It might end up as you suggest, but it would not surprise me to see any combination of the three get the OWs.  Cockman, Johnson, Jones, and Phillips are darkhorses here, IMO.  

Good call on Coach Shirley.  It would not surprise me if he won it outright, especially if Jones or Johnson take home gold.  I think coaches want to "spread the love" when they vote on this award.  I don't think many in the region would argue if he won it.  

I think Cade Young will end up as freshman of the year.  

Good call. I forgot about Young being a freshman because he's up at 152. My mind immediately goes toward the lighter weights when I think about that award. I also agree about the OW potentially going to 5 guys. Cannon, Cockman, Dawson, Phillips, and Moore will all be in contention for that one. Arlington has wrestled a much tougher schedule than Bartlett this season, but Cockman winning the Blackhorse was very impressive. He also beat some good kids at the CBHS Duals.