2017 Class AAA West Regional Boys' BB Tourney Breakdown (Regions 7 & 8)

kwc

The age limit is: 

Section 9. No student shall be eligible to participate in any athletic contest during any school year if he/she becomes 19 years of age on or before August 1. The age rule may be waived for the Tennessee School for the Blind when this school is competing with other schools for the blind provided such schools are permitted by their state associations to waive the age rule in competing with other schools for the blind. 

https://tssaa.org/wp-content/uploads/handbook.pdf

He has a bday during the school year. I was referring to the transfer rules. I think Brown is the one who turns 19 before August. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a bday during the school year. I was referring to the transfer rules. I think Brown is the one who turns 19 before August. 

The "coaching link" rule goes into effect next year too.

e. If a student with an athletic record transfers to a new school where an “athletic coaching link†existed in the past 12 months, that student is ineligible for 12 months at all levels in the specific sports where a linkage was present. Links may include (1) attendance at an individual camp (and then transferring); (2) playing on non-school (independent) teams (and then transferring to that coach’s school); (3) transferring into a school where a former coach has been hired; and (4) transferring to as school where a former or current personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach is employed. This rule does not apply if the student moves to his/her new schools after completion of the highest ending grade at his/her previous school. 

The "coaching link" rule goes into effect next year too.

e. If a student with an athletic record transfers to a new school where an “athletic coaching link†existed in the past 12 months, that student is ineligible for 12 months at all levels in the specific sports where a linkage was present. Links may include (1) attendance at an individual camp (and then transferring); (2) playing on non-school (independent) teams (and then transferring to that coach’s school); (3) transferring into a school where a former coach has been hired; and (4) transferring to as school where a former or current personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach is employed. This rule does not apply if the student moves to his/her new schools after completion of the highest ending grade at his/her previous school. 

Doesn't apply to the situation either. Henning isn't going anywhere. 

Doesn't apply to the situation either. Henning isn't going anywhere. 

I'm not saying it applies.

It's just something new that the TSSAA is trying instead of addressing the transfers (mostly in Memphis) without directly doing anything about it.

Part of me wants to believe that the strength and conditioning coach thing was written just for Memphis kids and Shabazz.

I'm not saying it applies.

It's just something new that the TSSAA is trying instead of addressing the transfers (mostly in Memphis) without directly doing anything about it.

Part of me wants to believe that the strength and conditioning coach thing was written just for Memphis kids and Shabazz.

Oh ok. I was a little confused myself. It definitely seems East related. Isn't their already a rule in place about coaching AAU and Highschool at the same time? I'm asking bc Whitehaven's Phillips has had some of his freshman spanning from 4-6 years now but they never were a sponsored club but joined Penny's brand late last summer.

Edited by TonyG

Oh ok. I was a little confused myself. It definitely seems East related. Isn't their already a rule in place about coaching AAU and Highschool at the same time? I'm asking bc Whitehaven's Phillips has had some of his freshman spanning from 4-6 years now but they never were a sponsored club but joined Penny's brand late last summer.

The only rule I know of in place now is if you're a coach of an AAU team or independent team like that you can't coach anyone on your current team.

The new rule looks like it's addressing transfers. For example if the rumors are true and Lawson goes to prep school and Jefferies transfers to East he might be ineligible because there is a "coaching link".

I know Penny only coaches certain groups but I would imagine that since Team Penny encompasses all of his teams they would see it as a link.

The only rule I know of in place now is if you're a coach of an AAU team or independent team like that you can't coach anyone on your current team.

The new rule looks like it's addressing transfers. For example if the rumors are true and Lawson goes to prep school and Jefferies transfers to East he might be ineligible because there is a "coaching link".

I know Penny only coaches certain groups but I would imagine that since Team Penny encompasses all of his teams they would see it as a link.

Will the rule apply if the transfer is an out of town one will be challenged. 

The way I read it it would mean any player.

Penny had a player from Findlay Prep (can't remember his name) that's in Henderson, NV and John Petty who is from Huntsville play for his AAU program. I'm sure there are others. 

If any of those guys were to move to Memphis that would be a legit change of address but who else would have access to those kids? Penny or Team Thad have the power to do that.

The letter of the law and the spirit of the law are two different things.

Ted and Courtney were stalwarts last year. Pig too, but he's the help 15 feet and in. Chandler did get it going second half and you saw East run some of their bread and butter plays for easy lobs when Ridgeway came back down to earth. You can't honestly expect a team to play like that two halves, but the shooting is what got them the 10 point lead and it should've been what lost them the game too.

I think Henning kind of over coach the Second half he tried to slow the game down which is a bad plan against East but it came back and bit them in the butt

Ted and Courtney were stalwarts last year. Pig too, but he's the help 15 feet and in. Chandler did get it going second half and you saw East run some of their bread and butter plays for easy lobs when Ridgeway came back down to earth. You can't honestly expect a team to play like that two halves, but the shooting is what got them the 10 point lead and it should've been what lost them the game too.

I think Henning kind of over coach the Second half he tried to slow the game down which is not a bad plan against East but it came back and bit them in the butt Edited by mcon6983