GCA comes back to Happy Valley !

1 hour ago, uknoit2 said:

I don't know...he's got kinda passive in his old age 

Not really.....its called he's working with a different group of people and he's much less able to hop on here at a moment's notice and give you "up the road" than he used to be. He's all fired up, I assure you! :) He's finally getting to watch his son's hard work pay off on the field. Both of us are...... Gotta love Friday nights!

17 hours ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

We certainly understand the numbers thing. We've got a good bunch of seniors, but then our experience drops off dramatically. I'm hoping our lack of 2-way players helps us a bit. Then again, we don't have the best athletes playing both ways either. It seems to me the best teams we've played have all of their best players playing on both sides of the ball, including linemen. I don't know which way is best, to be honest. I'm just trusting the coaches to know what they're doing. They sure know more than me.  

I don't ever post on here, but you've touched on a spot I have wondered for a while.  I've always believed you play your best athletes, in the best position no matter what.  I completely understand the concept of not wearing out the kids, but if they're in shape it shouldn't be an issue.  Like you, we just have to pray the coaches know what they're doing.  I'll just keep being a Ram fan in the meantime.  

21 minutes ago, ramfanatic said:

I don't ever post on here, but you've touched on a spot I have wondered for a while.  I've always believed you play your best athletes, in the best position no matter what.  I completely understand the concept of not wearing out the kids, but if they're in shape it shouldn't be an issue.  Like you, we just have to pray the coaches know what they're doing.  I'll just keep being a Ram fan in the meantime.  

In 1A and 2A  ball its been done for years.I never came off the field and that was when we played the 3 class system and you had to play some really good football teams with lots of depth and it was never a question!Coach prepared us in the off-season  ( back then we had real football camps).The best players played everything and i loved it!The year we won state (my Soph year) we had 17 Srs on the team so we did have a few that only played O or D and it does help but if your coach is worth his salt he will have em ready!This is what us fellers call ironman football and IMO its the best and most fun to watch.

Edited by orngnblk

4 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

In 1A and 2A  ball its been done for years.I never came off the field and that was when we played the 3 class system and you had to play some really good football teams with lots of depth and it was never a question!Coach prepared us in the off-season  ( back then we had real football camps).The best players played everything and i loved it!The year we won state (my Soph year) we had 17 Srs on the team so we did have a few that only played O or D and it does help but if your coach is worth his salt he will have em ready!This is what us fellers call ironman football and IMO its the best and most fun to watch.

Amen!  It's some of the most pure football around IMO and definitely the most fun to watch.   I think most of our boys are ready and willing to play both ways in a heartbeat if given the chance.   Hopefully things will work out -- but I will say it's can be huge benefit (especially for linemen) to play both ways.  Having Oline players who understand the techniques of Dline and vice versa makes for better players both ways.  

18 minutes ago, ramfanatic said:

Amen!  It's some of the most pure football around IMO and definitely the most fun to watch.   I think most of our boys are ready and willing to play both ways in a heartbeat if given the chance.   Hopefully things will work out -- but I will say it's can be huge benefit (especially for linemen) to play both ways.  Having Oline players who understand the techniques of Dline and vice versa makes for better players both ways.  

Mine isn't a lineman, so this may be out of turn, but I don't really believe the line benefits from playing both ways AS MUCH AS the other athlete spots on either side. You make a good point regarding the techniques though.

I truly believe last week's game was a great example of my point......we had nobody cramping and tired. Greenback had a couple of key guys cramping and going off the field. The results in our ability to run the ball repeatedly showed in the second half....IMO. I believe that was the difference in that game. Who knows.....we might just have had a fresher RB than their #6 who balled his butt off, but seemingly he got tired there at the end.

The better conditioned athletes are absolutely able to go both ways, Friday, Saturday and again on Sunday. It is a LOT to ask of a big ole lineman playing in the trenches where the game is won or lost most days. Just my opinion.....

It was not, is not, never will be my intent to question what our coaching staff is doing. This was simply me being a dumb non-football mind, watching what other more successful teams have done to us. I absolutely trust our coaches to know what is best for this team. I'm all in on that! I'm hoping we see another example of line playing one way vs two being a competitive advantage tomorrow night in the 2nd half as well. We'll see!

2 hours ago, orngnblk said:

No game this week so you decide to come over here and give us a history lesson on Greenback football?