Mr. Football Nominees for DII 1A

FridayMainEvent

If you take what the guys do against their top three opponents, it's a much better gauge for judging who deserves these awards. All of these backs have 4-6 games a year they could rush for 500 yards. The stats in those games are all fluff. Do it against teams with similar ability. That being said, Myers and Hewitt were more than impressive when they faced off. You couldn't go wrong with either one.

• Like 1

I still take Hylick over the other two. As for CFAfan you forget that he ran for 176 against Friendship including a 94yd TD in which he outran the entire starting FC defense in the 1st half when the game was still competitive. Hylick has lead the state most weeks in rushing and he has been top 3 most of the season in TD's and points. Hylick was more impressive when Hylick and Hewitt squared off earlier this year. Both are very good backs but different styles of runners. Have not seen the Meyers in person so I can't speak on him just on what his stats say. I think these three are your finalist for Mr. Football this year in DII IA

1 hour ago, TNL said:

I still take Hylick over the other two. As for CFAfan you forget that he ran for 176 against Friendship including a 94yd TD in which he outran the entire starting FC defense in the 1st half when the game was still competitive. Hylick has lead the state most weeks in rushing and he has been top 3 most of the season in TD's and points. Hylick was more impressive when Hylick and Hewitt squared off earlier this year. Both are very good backs but different styles of runners. Have not seen the Meyers in person so I can't speak on him just on what his stats say. I think these three are your finalist for Mr. Football this year in DII IA

Hylick and Hewitt havent played this year. 

My two cents, which might not be worth a dime, haha! Myers was more impressive in the DA NCS matchup than Hewitt was. CFA fan even states in his post that Hewitt has a great passing game to keep Ds honest. And he is correct in saying that everyone knows Myers is getting the ball. The thing that decides it for me is yardage after contact. Hewitt took what the defense gave him in that game. Myers took the defense with him on many plays.

14 minutes ago, TNL said:

Yes they did. There are a number of people who saw it and I am sure who would attest to it...LOL! I like all the backs but I am for Hylick. There is nothing wrong with that.

Dude, maybe you know something we dont. Did they scrimmage each other? Sorry, if they did that doesnt count. Did they play against each other in camp or in a backyard pickup game? Again, that doesnt count. Please enlighten us or get off the meds.

4 hours ago, TNL said:

Hewitt and Myers have each been lulled when the games are out of reach. Hylick has been left in when games are out of hand. MICA and DA have NOT played a regular season game so what happens in a scrimmage has no bearing at at. Coaches don't game plan to stop the best players in a scrimmage. Also, Myers has been in the top 5 in rushing having missed a game. Myers has lead the state most of the year in yards per game. 

Here is the most telling stat for me, not only should we look at how these backs did against the top teams in the region, look at the non region schedule. Hewitt and Myers both faced FRA and did well. Myers rushed for 226 against BGA who is a top team in DII AA. Plus the DA NCS game was one of the best of the year. I think people would pay big money to see that one again. 

TNL, I know you are for Hylick, but this should be a two horse race. That doesn't take away from the season your guy has had. To be honest, your school does a great job of promoting him as does DA with Hewitt.  

Great discussions

10 minutes ago, carguy59 said:

Dude, maybe you know something we dont. Did they scrimmage each other? Sorry, if they did that doesnt count. Did they play against each other in camp or in a backyard pickup game? Again, that doesnt count. Please enlighten us or get off the meds.

Wow! Insults. LOL! Why do coaches practice and scrimmage other teams? To evaluate and improve correct? If you are saying you cannot evaluate players in a 1's vs 1's full contact scrimmage then you and I will have to differ. They did scrimmage this summer and as it turns out it was a scrimmage between two very good teams in DII 1A this year.

56 minutes ago, TNL said:

Yes they did. There are a number of people who saw it and I am sure who would attest to it...LOL! I like all the backs but I am for Hylick. There is nothing wrong with that.

You are referring to a scrimmage. If you are basing anything off of a practice session then I can't take any opinion of yours seriously. It is clear you are a MJCA/Hylick homer and thats great. Totally cool to support your school and guy but don't refer to a practice as a head to head matchup. Lol 

On 10/20/2017 at 9:47 AM, Gville said:

Ha!! You said to much. Davidson kids are leaders in DII A.. 

I suppose you are one of those stats only guys. There are four or five teams in this division who have multiple backs capable of 2500 yard seasons. Half the teams in this division are glorified middle school teams, so that whole stat thing just doesnt hold water. I cant speak about the other two, but I have seen Myers and Hewitt. Myers is the harder tougher runner. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, TNL said:

Wow, I was at the MJCA/FCS game and we saw two completely different games.  Yes, Hylick clicked off the one big run when FCS had no safeties and he beat one LB.  For the rest of the game he maybe got 30 yards against the starting defense.  All of the rest of the yards came against JV and even freshman players because FCS pulled the starting defense after halftime and MJCA played their starters midway through the 4th quarter.  If  you're actually bragging about yards in a 55-14 beatdown ... you just don't know football.

• Like 1