Mr. Football Nominees for DII 1A

FridayMainEvent

3 hours ago, AlbertPine said:

Wow, I was at the MJCA/FCS game and we saw two completely different games.  Yes, Hylick clicked off the one big run when FCS had no safeties and he beat one LB.  For the rest of the game he maybe got 30 yards against the starting defense.  All of the rest of the yards came against JV and even freshman players because FCS pulled the starting defense after halftime and MJCA played their starters midway through the 4th quarter.  If  you're actually bragging about yards in a 55-14 beatdown ... you just don't know football.

This is the problem with Hylick numbers. You keep a "star" back in with the game clearly out of hand to pad stats, thus "leading the state in rushing most of the year". Hewitt and Myers have each been pulled at half and Myers in the 2nd quarter. Against the top competition, Hewitt and Myers have each shined. This is between those two and nobody else. 

11 hours ago, OrangeEagle said:

This is the problem with Hylick numbers. You keep a "star" back in with the game clearly out of hand to pad stats, thus "leading the state in rushing most of the year". Hewitt and Myers have each been pulled at half and Myers in the 2nd quarter. Against the top competition, Hewitt and Myers have each shined. This is between those two and nobody else. 

Lets start with this. the MJCA vs FC Game Hylick had his big run against the 1st Team defense in the 2nd quarter of the game when the game was a two score game. If FC played no safeties then that is their fault but I dont thick FC would  ever play no safties when the ball in at the 6yd line going out! But I am sure you know football better than I do! Hylick did not play in the second half of a number of games this year like the other backs (that is a fact) so that is not a valid argument that is being waged. As for the earlier post about not  being able to evaluate talent in a 1's vs 1's  scrimmage then we can disagree. I still can tell you all the talent that was on the field in 2006 in a JPII scrimmage on both sides (most notably Golden Tate among others). I make no issue about being a Hylick supporter and if you use stats then you cant use them in one breath and discard them the next. But I have seen Hewitt and Hylick and Hylick is the tougher runner. Both are great backs but different style backs and Myers is a good one as well. They are great kids who are making their school proud and I am proud for all three of them! All I am saying is that It is a three horse race an I like Darius Hylick #5 from MJCA.  As for the you don't know football comment, if you want to go there then by stats and performance this conversation is reminiscent in some ways of the Dennis Rogan one of 06'!  And before someone says I am saying Hylick is like Rogan I am not. I am saying the conversation is in some ways similar! I would just be happy if MJCA gets the team result Rogan's team did in 06!

2 hours ago, TNL said:

Lets start with this. the MJCA vs FC Game Hylick had his big run against the 1st Team defense in the 2nd quarter of the game when the game was a two score game. If FC played no safeties then that is their fault but I dont thick FC would  ever play no safties when the ball in at the 6yd line going out! But I am sure you know football better than I do! Hylick did not play in the second half of a number of games this year like the other backs (that is a fact) so that is not a valid argument that is being waged. As for the earlier post about not  being able to evaluate talent in a 1's vs 1's  scrimmage then we can disagree. I still can tell you all the talent that was on the field in 2006 in a JPII scrimmage on both sides (most notably Golden Tate among others). I make no issue about being a Hylick supporter and if you use stats then you cant use them in one breath and discard them the next. But I have seen Hewitt and Hylick and Hylick is the tougher runner. Both are great backs but different style backs and Myers is a good one as well. They are great kids who are making their school proud and I am proud for all three of them! All I am saying is that It is a three horse race an I like Darius Hylick #5 from MJCA.  As for the you don't know football comment, if you want to go there then by stats and performance this conversation is reminiscent in some ways of the Dennis Rogan one of 06'!  And before someone says I am saying Hylick is like Rogan I am not. I am saying the conversation is in some ways similar! I would just be happy if MJCA gets the team result Rogan's team did in 06!

Hylick definitely deserve to be among the top three and that's where I put him. I did put him third though. They had a big game against Kings and he came up well short with 32 yards. The other two have excelled in close games. He has had a big year like the others but doing it on a third-place team and you just can't afford to come up short in a huge District game. Just my opinion.

16 hours ago, TNL said:

Tonight's game 100% cements my thoughts that this is truly a 2 horse race. DCA 30 MIC 0??? Where was Hylick tonight? Hewitt, Myers, Lawless and Smith. That's It, period

18 hours ago, CFAfan said:

Hylick definitely deserve to be among the top three and that's where I put him. I did put him third though. They had a big game against Kings and he came up well short with 32 yards. The other two have excelled in close games. He has had a big year like the others but doing it on a third-place team and you just can't afford to come up short in a huge District game. Just my opinion.

Hylick has impressive stats and a great season so far. After seeing him last night I wouldn't have him in my top 3. DCA's QB again threw the ball extremely well and #53 Blake Johnson was unblockable. Based  on the QB's season, and play against the best teams on the schedule, he is the best in the district  and should be in the discussion with Norton at DA as having the best season overall. In fact, he was the best player on the field in the FCS game per some of their knowledgeable football fans/parents/coaches. #53 Johnson at 250 lbs caught Hylick from behind down field a few times and is very fast for a WR much less a DT.  He's one of the most impressive athletes in the history of DCA. That includes multiple players that won Mr Football, five clinic bowl rosters, SEC/ACC players, and the NFL. 

The RBs for MTCS and FCS were very good and caused a ton of problems for the DCA defense. They had much better nights against DCA than Hylick. Not taking anything away from the kid because he's had a great season but he is not on my list of top 5 players I've seen in Div 2A this year. Great season for him regardless of last nights game though. 

1 hour ago, Playerscoach said:

Hylick has impressive stats and a great season so far. After seeing him last night I wouldn't have him in my top 3. DCA's QB again threw the ball extremely well and #53 Blake Johnson was unblockable. Based  on the QB's season, and play against the best teams on the schedule, he is the best in the district  and should be in the discussion with Norton at DA as having the best season overall. In fact, he was the best player on the field in the FCS game per some of their knowledgeable football fans/parents/coaches. #53 Johnson at 250 lbs caught Hylick from behind down field a few times and is very fast for a WR much less a DT.  He's one of the most impressive athletes in the history of DCA. That includes multiple players that won Mr Football, five clinic bowl rosters, SEC/ACC players, and the NFL. 

The RBs for MTCS and FCS were very good and caused a ton of problems for the DCA defense. They had much better nights against DCA than Hylick. Not taking anything away from the kid because he's had a great season but he is not on my list of top 5 players I've seen in Div 2A this year. Great season for him regardless of last nights game though. 

Couldn't agree more. Mr. Football finalist should be a guy that carries his team in the biggest games of the year. IMO, Hylick hasn't done that. 

I have heard great things about the QB from DCA. Looking ahead, if everything holds on the bracket, the semifinals will be great matchup, NCS @ FCA and DCA @ DA. HHoly cow! Lots for ball to be played though. 

2 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

DCA RB last year should have won Mr Football hands down IMO but one of the biggest issues for DCA players is Goodwin. He doesn't promote his players so they fly under the radar.

7 hours ago, OrangeEagle said:

Tonight's game 100% cements my thoughts that this is truly a 2 horse race. DCA 30 MIC 0??? Where was Hylick tonight? Hewitt, Myers, Lawless and Smith. That's It, period

Lawless? Come on man. Kid gonna be a great college player and is a huge name but play on the field should be what gets guys mentioned here. Hewitt and Meyers. Smith and Norton would be next 2 for me. Lawless not even in top 2 on own team. Watson has more imoact than him IMO. 

15 minutes ago, CFAfan said:

Lawless? Come on man. Kid gonna be a great college player and is a huge name but play on the field should be what gets guys mentioned here. Hewitt and Meyers. Smith and Norton would be next 2 for me. Lawless not even in top 2 on own team. Watson has more imoact than him IMO. 

Mr. Football normally goes to a JR that was nominated last year, so yes Lawless