Melrose @ Covington Round 1

CHARGERFAN

9 hours ago, kwc said:

I wouldn't call Region 7 - 6A, Arlington a nobody. They are currently the #2 seed going into the post season. Raleigh-Egypt beat them at their place in the first game of the season. This is Raleigh-Egypt's 2nd year in a row going undefeated. Raleigh-Egypt beats Bolivar easily. This isn't last year's Raleigh-Egypt team.

I agree that Raleigh-Egypt has a nice win vs Arlington. But, as an example, Sonny-Moore has their schedule strength rating at 96, while, Bolivar's rating is 105. The difference is that Bolivar plays in a region with Milan, South Gibson County, and Covington. 

Now, Bolivar may well lose to RE, in fact I picked RE to win in another thread. Still, you can't believe that Region 8-3A is in the same category with 7-3A, strength-wise. 

I do like the coach at RE and what he has built in his time there. He is a winner and if they and my Covington Chargers happen to meet up in the playoffs, I envision a real dogfight. But, let's leave that discussion for another day.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I agree that Raleigh-Egypt has a nice win vs Arlington. But, as an example, Sonny-Moore has their schedule strength rating at 96, while, Bolivar's rating is 105. The difference is that Bolivar plays in a region with Milan, South Gibson County, and Covington. 

Now, Bolivar may well lose to RE, in fact I picked RE to win in another thread. Still, you can't believe that Region 8-3A is in the same category with 7-3A, strength-wise. 

I do like the coach at RE and what he has built in his time there. He is a winner and if they and my Covington Chargers happen to meet up in the playoffs, I envision a real dogfight. But, let's leave that discussion for another day.

We will discuss this when RE eliminates the two R-7, 3A teams in front of them to play Covington.

14 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Bolivar 13, Raleigh-Egypt 41. Like I said ... RE wins handily.

Sonny Moore does a fine job at what he does ... But, you have to read the data he provides with a grain of salt. Also, you have to analyze victories and not just the region's strength. 

Edited by kwc

10 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

It does not count that Bolivar had 4 turnovers.....  

Turnovers do matter. Unfortunately, the team that had them in mass abundance usually loses. Whether they were forced by the defense or plain ole knuckheaded plays ... they matter because they can affect the outcome. Having a rash of them in a playoff game is unfortunate. It happens. You can't turn it over like that against a good team like Raleigh-Egypt. They will beat you if you do. Like they did last night.

5 minutes ago, kwc said:

Turnovers do matter. Unfortunately, the team that had them in mass abundance usually loses. Whether they were forced by the defense or plain ole knuckheaded plays ... they matter because they can affect the outcome. Having a rash of them in a playoff game is unfortunate. It happens. You can't turn it over like that against a good team like Raleigh-Egypt. They will beat you if you do. Like they did last night.

Totally agree South Gibson had three against us that we turned into 21 points. They are part of the game u just better hope ur on the right side of them and Covington has been all season thus far hope we can keep it up

Somebody forgot to tell Melrose they were supposed to lose. Good effort by them early in the game to jump up on Covington 12-0. Once Covington buckled down, it was all Covington (24-0) but Melrose owned the first quarter and a half.

Looks like a rematch with Milan next week. We can't sleep on Milan or they will hand us our heads.