OAK RIDGE WILDCAT FOOTBALL 2018

WilleTheWildcat

5 hours ago, atrisk said:

Thinking maybe we could play nice in 2018.

I try to play nice or silly but sometimes I get mad and go off the deep end. I don't remember the exact word but I once told  SS  to do something nasty. I apologized quickly and he was gracious enough to forgive me. My point is it is easy to type something and regret it later. I just hope we stick together as Wildcat fans. 

5 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I try to play nice or silly but sometimes I get mad and go off the deep end. I don't remember the exact word but I once told  SS  to do something nasty. I apologized quickly and he was gracious enough to forgive me. My point is it is easy to type something and regret it later. I just hope we stick together as Wildcat fans. 

No worries!  I am much better at expressing myself in person than in writing.  The vast majority of people on here, i.e. Wildcat fans, I do like.   I enjoy your humor, Willie, don't give it up.

On a side note, all members of the Freshman team got cool hoodies with "undefeated" on the front and all the names of the players on the back.  Really nice.

Also, the kid moving to Chattanooga does not know which school he will attend.

Edited by ORcats

The word is the start date on the installation of field turf is sometime in January, 2018, weather permitting.  FIrst they will have to remove the crown, which involves removing the dirt and the sprinkler system underneath it.  They also want to position a small visitors side press box on the visitors side bleachers (they already have it) before the field turf is installed since it will involve using a crane. This will free up room in the home side press box. (if we get a jumbotron in a couple of years, there has to be computers in the press box to run it and that will need space too.)  

Then the field turf ( the same kind that was installed at Notre Dame, which is very good) will be installed as well as the walking track and some trail improvements to the trail behind the visitors bleachers, which is part of the requirements of the grant the city got. The grant also has requirements for public use open from dawn to dusk. Some work is also planned on the ticket booth end of the field, but I am not sure of the extent of that......all this is due to be completed by June 1, in time for the ORHS Graduation ceremonies.  The first home game played on the turf will be the Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett game the last Friday in August, although there might be a scrimmage before that, 

One thing I think needs attention up there in the next few years  are replacement of the home side upper and lower bleachers, both are old and showing deterioration, the lower part was installed in 1944 by Leslie Groves,  I think a 4000 seat grandstand there would be good, and make the total stadium seating 6000.  The capacity of the old bleachers with the old visitors side was 6554.

Money spent up there is well spent for future teams and citizens who wish to use the facility. I think Oak Ridge is beginning to come out of a 30 year decline, if more DOE land can be freed up for new housing construction and new manufacturing jobs come in at the K-25 site and Horizon Center, the town will ramp back up. We can only hope, 

I also think that we have a chance to have a really good team next year, we have some good returning starters and players as well as having a very good freshman team coming up. 

For the record, I think Catholic should have been playing in the private class, they got players from everywhere and had several D-1s on the field. We gave them the best game in the playoffs, I watched their championship game with an undefeated Beech team, which was pretty good, but no match for Catholic's talent. 

I think had we not had Catholic there, we would have had a good chance to reach Cookeville and the game with Beech would have been a very good game.