D2 Results - last week of the 2017

durdon

Here is Prep Slam and Granite City individual finishes.  I am going to find all the significant wins and how the other D2 teams did last week.  I will post that on this thread tonight.  

Prep Slam Results

1st place 
126p Alex Whitworth McCallie
160p Mason Reiniche Baylor
285p River Henry McCallie

2nd Place 
138p Andrew Pace Baylor
170p Thomas Sells McCallie

182p Riley Westlake Baylor

3rd Place 
145p Bryce Whitman MBA 
170p Conner Duffy Baylor
182p Dominic Fisher MBA
220p Coleton Elrod Baylor

4th Place
113p Emory Taylor McCallie 
132p Joseph Tarquine MBA

5th Place
106p Christian Morris McCallie
145p Austin Atchley Baylor
220p Chase Looper McCallie 

6th Place
106p Jack Braman McCallie
132p Hayden Hartline Baylor

Granite City IL

2nd Place 
145p Elijah Hodge of Christian Brothers HS

3rd Place
182p Montana Doty of Christian Brothers HS
195p Tommy Brackett of Christian Brothers HS
220p Grayson Walthall of Christian Brothers HS
285p Pat Healy of Christian Brothers HS

6th Place 
132p Garrett Bowers of Christian Brothers HS

Edited by durdon

Prep Slam was a very hard tournament.  The top 14 teams here were really good teams.  Any of the kids that placed had very impressive tournament. 

Team Results 

4th Baylor 191 points 
5th McCallie 171.5 points. 

McCallie had 3 starters out, who all would have scored points.  This was the first tournament of the season that Baylor had all starters in and on weight.  Baylor showed they are a much better team than they have shown so far this year.  

Granite City is now called the Red Schimit Tourney and it had some really tough team there also, especially the top 12 teams.  On paper this looks like a harder tourney than the KC Stampede that CBHS  went to already.  

4th CBHS 322 points 

A very impressive performance by CBHS.  They are getting stronger week by week.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, durdon said:

Prep Slam was a very hard tournament.  The top 14 teams here were really good teams.  Any of the kids that placed had very impressive tournament. 

Granite City is now called the Red Schimit Tourney and it had some really tough team there also, especially the top 12 teams.  On paper this looks like a harder tourney than the KC Stampede that CBHS  went to already.  

Just going to share some opinions on your comments here... 

1) Granite City is not as tough / deep as Kansas City.  Granite City is a very good tournament but not what Kansas City is, though Kansas City wasn't as tough as it has been in the past in terms of upper-level national talent and ranked teams.  CBHS did have a better showing at Granite City than Kansas City, jumping some teams that finished ahead of them in KC but different tournament make-up in terms of depth, etc. as well as different line-ups.

2) Coach Lewis already addressed the naming convention for Granite City... I think this is something like the 53rd year of that tournament.

3) I think you are overselling the Prep Slam just a smidgen there... the 13th place team was MBA... not even ranked as top 12 in TN right now.  Jesuit from LA was 12th... they finished 28th at Kansas City.  The second place team, Brother Martin, LA took 2nd to CBHS at Black Horse earlier this year.  A good tournament but like most tournaments the strength varied quite a bit from weight to weight.

Edited by ghouse
  • Upvote 1

Garrett, like I said just looking on paper it looked like Granite was tougher than KC was this particular year and my bad on name change, I couldn’t find it on track and Derek told me they changed the name.  I didn’t realize they changed it a few years ago. Prep Slam was very tough.  This was a much stronger Brother Martin team here then was at Black Horse just like Baylor was a much stronger team too.  MBA may not be ranked but they have 3 kids that score a lot of points in individual tourneys.  

Here is the significant wins for Prep Slam and Granite 

113 LBS      Paul Killian Father Ryan   Over #3 Frank Perazzini Montgomery Bell Academy DEC 6-3

138p Lawrence Madson (Father Ryan) over #1 (132p) AAA Chad Milasauskas (Brentwood) (Dec 12-11) this was before prep slam 

132 Joseph Tarquine MBA Over #1 Hayden Hartline Baylor School Pin
0:29

138 LBS Andrew Pace Baylor over 2 time LA state champ Cole Houser St. Paul's School DEC 4-1

145 LBS Austin Atchley Baylor over LA State Champ Jared Thieler St. Paul's DEC 5-2

160 LBS Mason Reiniche Baylor over Ga State Champ Vincent Baker Blessed Trinity Pin 5:09 in the finals 

170 LBS #2 Thomas Sell McCallie over #1 Connor Duffy Baylor TF 16-0

220 LBS UR Chase Looper McCallie Over #4 Stephen Morgan Baylor DEC 5-3

113 LBS Emory Taylor McCallie Over NC state champ Nathaniel Friedman Providence Day DEC 4-2

126 LBS Alex Whitworth McCallie School Over 2 time GA State Champ Dalton Blankenship over Darlington School MD 9-0 

285 LBS River Henry McCallie Over NY State Champ Nick Greer St. Anthony's High School 3-1

145 LBS Bryce Wittman
MBA Over LA state finalist and Black Horse Champion Patrick Evans Brother Martin DEC 3-0

182p  Montana Doty (Christian Brothers HS) 22-3 won by decision over 4th KC Stampede finisher Noah Elmore (Whitfield) 25-4 (Dec 2-1)

Edited by durdon

1 hour ago, durdon said:

Here is Brentwood Academy’s Dual Results 

12/21/17
BA 53 Coffee County 27
Oakland 57 BA 24
BA 39 Riverdale 37
BA 44 Smyrna 32
Summit 54 BA 30
12/22/17
Page 48 Brentwood Academy 36
Franklin 45 Brentwood Academy 32
BA 66 Pope John Paul 6
Savannah, Mo 42 BA 36

Two observations from your post:

1.  Shocked that with as many great athletes that Brentwood Academy has on the football team they are not better in wrestling.  I was hoping that with SW becoming the head wrestling coach more of the football players would give wrestling a try.  Why do the smaller kids at BA not wrestle year around?

2.  Pope John Paul II really needs some help.  They are not close to filling all the weight classifications and I am not sure they have one wrestler that makes it to the state tournament.  This just goes to show the school is not supporting wrestling.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:23 AM, durdon said:

Garrett, like I said just looking on paper it looked like Granite was tougher than KC was this particular year and my bad on name change, I couldn’t find it on track and Derek told me they changed the name.  I didn’t realize they changed it a few years ago. Prep Slam was very tough.  This was a much stronger Brother Martin team here then was at Black Horse just like Baylor was a much stronger team too.  MBA may not be ranked but they have 3 kids that score a lot of points in individual tourneys.    

Scott,

Interested to know why you thought it looked tougher on paper.  Maybe you are seeing something I am over-looking.

Only major change for Baylor was Pace officially in at 138, right?  Otherwise looked like the same line-up they put out at KC.

As for Brother Martin, doesn't look that different to me... 11 of the 14 wrestlers are the same (2 swapped weighs).  At two of the weights where they had changes the wrestlers didn't really contribute many points in either tournament (160 and 182).  At 160 they placed about the same in both events so some improvement there.  At 182 the two wrestlers look pretty darn equivalent.  It looked like their only major upgrade was at 120.  That looks like typically changes for most teams from early season to mid-season to me.

I think the Red tournament looked much tougher and would have been nice if Christian Brother College would have brought the full compliment of wrestlers for each weight class. Crazy they had a JV team in it also but only had 11 scoring wrestlers, 4 of which are ranked in top 20 in the country all of which won their WC.  The Illinois tourney was the only one with a ranked team in CBC at it although I do think Brother Martin might be close to a top 50 team.