TSSAA approves Knox Catholic and GCA-Franklin moves to D2

osunut2

On 3/23/2018 at 7:41 PM, Booger said:

that was not the conversation and view until this past year when the competition level changed and they all of a sudden found themselvs not feastin at the top of the old A system

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

It's actually been the conversation for a while now. Whenever you see a teams number go from 60+ yearly to barley 35 that is a huge concern. Contrary to the outside belief this is a big reason Webb chose not to play up. 35 kids just isn't enough to compete in the best division in the state. There were and are several schools with almost double the players on the roster than Webb has in division play. ND and CPA are two of them.  

Webb hadn't won a gold ball the last two years before the split. You can be lazy and chalk everything up to the addition of two decent programs (CPA and ND, who were average at best in 2016 before the split). But there are far more moving parts than that. Last time I checked ND was destroyed by Lausanne in the State Championship, a team that Webb barley lost to in the 2016 State Championship by 3.

As previously stated, Webb has got to commit to football like the other elite privates are. Tuition is too high to attract your average high school football player. ND, CPA, Grace, and  CAK all have big advantages in that area. Webb's tuition is like a Baylor, BA, or Ensowrth. Having 5 or 6 scholarship players isn't enough anymore when most of the regular student body is no longer coming out to play. Check the numbers of these other elite privates schools. They often have 30+ kids on scholarship easily.

High school football is changing. If Webb is going to continue the tradition of being a top 25 program in the state year in and year out they are going to have to change with it.   

what happens in 2016 and what happens in 2017 are not even compatable for a discussion....different players, different coaches...even if it were worth a discusion....the 2017 Irish team beats the 2016 Haslam team...and a loss in the Cookville Gold ball game is a loss any way u skin it.....u go home with a runner-up trophy

.....and Sparty say CPA and ND were average at best before the split?

Booger just sayin giphy.gif

Edited by Booger

1 hour ago, Booger said:

what happens in 2016 and what happens in 2017 are not even compatable for a discussion....different players, different coaches...even if it were worth a discusion....the 2017 Irish team beats the 2016 Haslam team...and a loss in the Cookville Gold ball game is a loss any way u skin it.....u go home with a runner-up trophy

.....and Sparty say CPA and ND were average at best before the split?

Booger just sayin giphy.gif

Exactly my point. You're making the assumption that the new division is the reason Webb didn't win state. When really last year's Webb team just didn't have the up front depth and parts it had the previous year (2016). Thank you for proving my point. 

Lol that's an opinion. And I can say that the 2016 Webb team would have beat the 2017 ND team. That contradicts your previous statement that you can't compare teams by previous years. So that's an asinine statement. Per usual.  

Yes ND and CPA were average in 2016.

2016 ND went 7-6 in 3A.....which is pretty weak once you take out Alcoa. Finished ranked 126 in the state. Was down 13-0 to a terrible Chattanooga Central team before Chatt .Central fell apart. Lost to McMinn Central...that's embarrassing. Lost to Red Bank (very average team), and Sequatchie County (who played no one all year). Yes ND was very average. 7-6 is pretty much the definition of average. Now if the losses were to actually good teams that would be different. Knoxville Catholic was the one good team ND played and you were beat 54 to what 7? So yes 126 out of 300+ schools in the state is/was average. If that's not average than I want some of what your'e drinking. 

2016 CPA went 7-7 in 3A. One might also consider 7-7 to be average. Now because they played a tough schedule their 7-7 record actually favors a lot better. They finished 62 in the State. I'll stand corrected and state that CPA was slightly above average. 

12 hours ago, Spartan4Life said:

As previously stated, Webb has got to commit to football like the other elite privates are. Tuition is too high to attract your average high school football player. ND, CPA, Grace, and  CAK all have big advantages in that area. Webb's tuition is like a Baylor, BA, or Ensowrth. Having 5 or 6 scholarship players isn't enough anymore when most of the regular student body is no longer coming out to play. Check the numbers of these other elite privates schools. They often have 30+ kids on scholarship easily.

I don’t believe CPA and Webb tuition is that different... and I don’t know of a single CPA football “scholarship player”, not that it really matters, but I think it should make next year even more special... *crosses fingers* *knocks on wood* *changed his username for good luck*

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to identify kids on scholarship, but how does one know how many players on a particular team are receiving scholarships, how much they are receiving, etc?  Isn't this all a guess unless you are an administrator or a coach or board member with specific knowledge? Public school folks sometimes think all of the private school players are on scholarship, but I can tell you that's not accurate or at least it wasn't a few years ago.

1 hour ago, chainsaw2 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to identify kids on scholarship, but how does one know how many players on a particular team are receiving scholarships, how much they are receiving, etc?  Isn't this all a guess unless you are an administrator or a coach or board member with specific knowledge? Public school folks sometimes think all of the private school players are on scholarship, but I can tell you that's not accurate or at least it wasn't a few years ago.

u have to understand that there r sum really really really smart high level PUB agents bedded up in our hallways cipherin out the most deepest of our workins....

.....telapathycalogical spys...thats what they r

Booger just sayin Detective.gif~c200

Edited by Booger

13 hours ago, BreadTruck44 said:

I don’t believe CPA and Webb tuition is that different... and I don’t know of a single CPA football “scholarship player”, not that it really matters, but I think it should make next year even more special... *crosses fingers* *knocks on wood* *changed his username for good luck*

I checked the cost for both. Webb is more expensive but only by about 1000 yearly. So It is closer than I thought. CPA also is in Nashville and has a different pool of kids than the Knoxville area. Not to mention there are more people in Nashville with that kind of money than in Knoxville. I really was focusing more on Grace, Knox Catholic, and CAK. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chainsaw2 said:

You’re correct, my guess on CPA is based on not picking up more than one key player last year when aid would have been available, knowing the families of the players, and knowing CPA has a tiny aid budget and that tuition didn’t see a huge spike to bolster that budget. 

As far as other teams, it’s based on what others say but probably the majority don’t really know what they are talking about. 

I believe most aid is done via committee and only those members know who gets what and the parents sign an NDA confirming they will not discuss the terms. But, I’m sure that’s not always how it goes...

Personally, I don’t want to be a part of the D2 talent race and see the multiple tuitions I pay jump for a high school sport. I love football, but as long as the kids we’d naturally have play their best and learn life lessons from the coaches, I could care less about the gold ball count.   

15 hours ago, BreadTruck44 said:

You’re correct, my guess on CPA is based on not picking up more than one key player last year when aid would have been available, knowing the families of the players, and knowing CPA has a tiny aid budget and that tuition didn’t see a huge spike to bolster that budget. 

As far as other teams, it’s based on what others say but probably the majority don’t really know what they are talking about. 

I believe most aid is done via committee and only those members know who gets what and the parents sign an NDA confirming they will not discuss the terms. But, I’m sure that’s not always how it goes...

Personally, I don’t want to be a part of the D2 talent race and see the multiple tuitions I pay jump for a high school sport. I love football, but as long as the kids we’d naturally have play their best and learn life lessons from the coaches, I could care less about the gold ball count.   

I'm with you on the talent race thing.  My fear is kids won't play who otherwise would because of reduced chance of playing time and prospect of going against a 210 pound run like a deer hit like a truck LB or a 300 pound lineman.  The talent wars have begun it's just that a few teams are a few years ahead of the rest, but just like the SEC and any other football conference, everyone will catch up or at least try.