STATE NEEDS TO CHANGE

whoAMi01

On 2/9/2018 at 10:22 PM, Newestguy said:

Whoever didn't see this coming when they divided the state into 3 different divisions is delusional. But remember "when you build it they will come. What we need to do is let everyone medal and that will make TN wrestling grow".

rearranging regions doesn't solve the problem. The problem is they've tried to fix something that was never broken to begin with. Now it's broken.

I don't remember that.  Who are you quoting?

Let's also not forget that the public/private split was a direct result of the private schools blatantly breaking the rules. 

Edited by taketop

44 minutes ago, taketop said:

I don't remember that.  Who are you quoting?

Let's also not forget that the public/private split was a direct result of the private schools blatantly breaking the rules. 

Just about everyone that supported the D1/D2 split. Of course they hid behind "we need to split to grow the sport" instead of just speaking the truth - "we can't compete so we need to water things down".

I'm very aware of why public and private split which had much more to do with football then it did from McCallie bringing in a couple poor kids from Murray County and the inner city. But of course there aren't any public schools that cheat. That only happens in the private school arena.

2 hours ago, Newestguy said:

Just about everyone that supported the D1/D2 split. Of course they hid behind "we need to split to grow the sport" instead of just speaking the truth - "we can't compete so we need to water things down".

I'm very aware of why public and private split which had much more to do with football then it did from McCallie bringing in a couple poor kids from Murray County and the inner city. But of course there aren't any public schools that cheat. That only happens in the private school arena.

Once again, who are you quoting?  Maybe you and I don't understand quotation marks the same way. It appears these may be over generalized statements and not quotes.  It also seems very presumptuous to speak collectively for everyone who promoted a private school division.  

I am not sure how it affects the level of wrestling as a whole in TN to have divisions.  I agree that some kids place that wouldn't have but so what?  The top level kids still train just as hard and compete across the country. 

I leave you with this topic, as it has been "beat to death".  (quotation marks in this instance denote slang)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, taketop said:

Once again, who are you quoting?  Maybe you and I don't understand quotation marks the same way. It appears these may be over generalized statements and not quotes.  It also seems very presumptuous to speak collectively for everyone who promoted a private school division.  

I am not sure how it affects the level of wrestling as a whole in TN to have divisions.  I agree that some kids place that wouldn't have but so what?  The top level kids still train just as hard and compete across the country. 

I leave you with this topic, as it has been "beat to death".  (quotation marks in this instance denote slang)

You sound like a legalist Taketop. Apparently you care more about semantics and splitting hairs instead of focusing on the issue. Much like the scribes and pharisees in Jesus' day.

I agree it's been beat to death. And I agree (as previously stated) it doesn't seem that much can be done about it. I admit, I'm out of ideas as I tried to address this before and as it was happening. My post (as also stated earlier) was more of a rant and expressing frustration. 

Personally I could care less how many kids medal. What I do care about (although I've basically given up, as my interest is exponentially waning) is the lack of excitement that the Tennessee State Wrestling Tournament now brings. The TSSAA bureaucrats have managed to completely ruin a once pretty good event. 

If you've only been able to personally witness the TN State Tournament and haven't had the opportunity to watch one of the other 49 State Tournaments (I've personally seen 8 or 9), then that doesn't really qualify you to understand what I'm talking about.

Instead of competing in a first class arena, they now wrestle in a cow barn on horse manure in an embarrassingly watered down field. I'm not taking anything away from the coaches (although I blame many of them for the current issues), or athletes, I simply speak the truth.

Obviously you want to argue, but facts are facts.

My lack of wrestling experience is obviously the problem here.  I'll try to get out and watch some outside of TN sometime.  Perhaps one day I will qualify to understand your vast knowledge. I agree the venue is terrible and should be changed.  I didn't realize that was the issue you were talking about since you were complaining about the split.  Maybe you don't even qualify to understand your argument?

Jesus and scribes and pharisees? Really? Seems a bit much.  I didn't call you Joseph Goebbels for making up quotes.

...and just to reiterate, the cow palace is terrible and everyone involved for moving the tournament there should feel ashamed and embarrassed for what our state tourny has become.

2 hours ago, taketop said:

My lack of wrestling experience is obviously the problem here.  I'll try to get out and watch some outside of TN sometime.  Perhaps one day I will qualify to understand your vast knowledge. I agree the venue is terrible and should be changed.  I didn't realize that was the issue you were talking about since you were complaining about the split.  Maybe you don't even qualify to understand your argument?

Jesus and scribes and pharisees? Really? Seems a bit much.  I didn't call you Joseph Goebbels for making up quotes.

...and just to reiterate, the cow palace is terrible and everyone involved for moving the tournament there should feel ashamed and embarrassed for what our state tourny has become.

Im glad you at least agree with me about the facility. I never said or implied that you lacked "wrestling experience" (Taketop).

My first post was addressing the OP. There is apparently too many regions with too few AAA wrestlers. My point being there is no real fix as this is a direct result of the very bad (imo) decision to split the public school divisions.

Tbis makes for a much less exciting tournament (magnified by the horrendous venue). If you (or anyone else) disagree with this, then you'd (or they) would probably change your (or their) mind if you (or they) had the opportunity to witness other state tournaments besides TN

ps Good one about Goebbels

Edited by Newestguy