Knox West vs Bearden

matchesmalone2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/13/2018 at 11:52 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

I sure hate seeing all the good work Cummings did at West all start to fall apart and waste away. I can remember going to games at West before he got there and there were more kids in the band than there were fans in the stands. He took one of the worst programs in Knoxville and turned it around. 

I disagree with you on this .... Cummings wasn't the best thing that occured to West he just had a good group his last year there .  Noticed he left after he won because he knew there wouldn't be a better class coming in

On 8/15/2018 at 12:40 PM, Turtle said:

I disagree with you on this .... Cummings wasn't the best thing that occured to West he just had a good group his last year there .  Noticed he left after he won because he knew there wouldn't be a better class coming in

Turtle I noticed he left because he got a big pay increase and more control at Cleveland.  I saw Bearden scrimmage this spring and they were just plumb awful. Have to see what I can find out on West later today since the KNS went to pot.

I also saw them scrimmage Maryville this spring and then Sevier County this past month. I missed their Red Bank scrimmage (not going to drive 2 hours for a scrimmage) so not sure how that went. I do remember the dogs looking awful against Maryville. Was told they had 3 or 4 freshman playing on defense though. The SC scrimmage was played like a real game through 3 quarters and at the end of 3 it was 60-7 dogs. Do you think Maryville is just that good, or has Bearden improved? Or maybe Sevier County is bad? What's your take Barney?

On 8/13/2018 at 8:32 AM, rebelwoman87 said:

Not many people put a lot of stock in scrimmages but Bearden hung 60 points on Sevier Co. The Bulldogs have a great offensive coordinator now in Nick Myers but I’m a bit biased. 

I believe the OC this year is actually Coach Milan.  Myers is the QB coach.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, Turtle said:

Between 2010 - 2014 West went 58-12 - made the championship game twice and the semifinals twice.  Over that 5 year span they were the winningest program in 5A in the state.  Which ONE group of kids did he have that achieved that?  Not sure how you can argue Cummings was a one hit wonder.  That said - hope the Rebels can find some points against the Dogs - they have always had the defense. 

Saw the stats from this one. West's offense is awful. Imagine what they could do if they just had a pulse on the offensive side of the ball. Bearden tallied 9 points on ~40 total yards in the first half, and couldn't score the rest of the way. West had negative (!) total yards in the first half, and ended with ~80. Yikes.