Tyner at Polk

Polk04

3 hours ago, TheAmbassador said:

Is Polk County young this season? Is this the start of another good run?

I’m afraid not. They start a lot of seniors. This team had really good potential, but when this season comes to an end the will lose a lot of good players. The feeder program into PCHS is pitiful and it isn’t going to produce any good kids until they get a middle school team coached by someone that at least knows the fundamentals of the game. Talent will drop back off after this year.

16 minutes ago, ValleyTroll said:

I’m afraid not. They start a lot of seniors. This team had really good potential, but when this season comes to an end the will lose a lot of good players. The feeder program into PCHS is pitiful and it isn’t going to produce any good kids until they get a middle school team coached by someone that at least knows the fundamentals of the game. Talent will drop back off after this year.

I hate to hear that. I enjoy it when Polk County is a good team. Some of these other programs have no idea. They didn’t play you when you were really good like SP did those years. 

1 hour ago, TheAmbassador said:

I hate to hear that. I enjoy it when Polk County is a good team. Some of these other programs have no idea. They didn’t play you when you were really good like SP did those years. 

Those were fun matchups with great environments. Loved to watch games at your stadium. I hate the way things are for the kids and coaches at Polk. They are given no support from the higher up administration because they really  don’t care about athletics. I think Coach Davis has two full time assistant coaches now, one of those being his dad who is retired. It’s hard to keep pace with other schools when that is the case. 

10 minutes ago, ValleyTroll said:

Those were fun matchups with great environments. Loved to watch games at your stadium. I hate the way things are for the kids and coaches at Polk. They are given no support from the higher up administration because they really  don’t care about athletics. I think Coach Davis has two full time assistant coaches now, one of those being his dad who is retired. It’s hard to keep pace with other schools when that is the case. 

That sounds like a rough deal. Those teams when we played were always tough, gritty teams. 

10 hours ago, ValleyTroll said:

Where do all those great former players go after high school?  That’s what we end up having as coaches are former great players.  Even at the middle school level.

10 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Where do all those great former players go after high school?  That’s what we end up having as coaches are former great players.  Even at the middle school level.

We have had several great players try to come back and coach. They get their teaching degree and then the administration won’t hire them. So they end up coaching somewhere else or leaving the county. It’s not from lack of trying that Polk doesn’t have more coaches, it’s the poor administration.

12 hours ago, PolkCoAlumn said:

Polk county has a very good Sophomore class. So the dropped off won't happen in the near future. 

I wish you were right but I just don’t see it. In my opinion, there are one or two good players in that class, and that’s it. Like I said, I hope you are right but I don’t think so.

50 minutes ago, ValleyTroll said:

We have had several great players try to come back and coach. They get their teaching degree and then the administration won’t hire them. So they end up coaching somewhere else or leaving the county. It’s not from lack of trying that Polk doesn’t have more coaches, it’s the poor administration.

Whatever reason the administration has for not hiring surely it’s a valid one, but I know what you mean.  I’m sure there are some former players that wouldn’t mind donating some volunteer time to help out.  If not, then that’s not an administration problem.  All I can say is keep trying.  Best of luck.

Edited by PiRaTe._.MiKe

1 hour ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Whatever reason the administration has for not hiring surely it’s a valid one, but I know what you mean.  I’m sure there are some former players that wouldn’t mind donating some volunteer time to help out.  If not, then that’s not an administration problem.  All I can say is keep trying.  Best of luck.

There are currently 3 or 4 volunteer coaches that are former players. They all have full time jobs so it’s hard for them to help much. Thanks.

3 hours ago, ValleyTroll said:

I wish you were right but I just don’t see it. In my opinion, there are one or two good players in that class, and that’s it. Like I said, I hope you are right but I don’t think so.

You obviously haven't kept up with their accomplishments as a class through the years. That eight grade team was probably one of the best Polk ever fielded. They came seconds from defeating the best Athens group of kids ever and won a Championship at every single age group as they moved up