Lebanon at Hendersonville

CommandoPride1478

12 hours ago, MrFootball71 said:

I will go with Lebanon, they are the more physical team while Hendersonville is more of a finesse team out of the wing T.  Commandos will be unable to block the big DL Logue consistently and I don’t think they can stop the Lebanon offense enough.  Blackman scored 28,  Centennial 26 and Beech 27 so that tells me they don’t beat the Blue Devils.  

HHS is def not a finesse team.  Quite the opposite actually.  Physical Oline play is what has lead them this year.  When you are scoring 40+ points a game and dont really throw the ball its hard to be considered a finesse team.  Would be curious to know your thoughts on what makes them a finesse team.  Now...will they be able to run the ball effectively against an incredible Lebanon defense?  Will find out Friday.  I think they will hold their own against Logue...yes he will make some plays but I just dont see him dominating the HHS Oline.  HHS has two big very experienced tackles that are very familiar with Logue.  Anxious to see how big 78 for HHS holds his own against Logue.  Will be a very tough task but I think he is up for the challenge.

As for the HHS defense.  It is getting better every week.  Giving up 28 to Blackman is actually pretty solid considering what they have done to other teams.  Centennial has a really good offense.  Scored 60 on Independence. Giving up 26 to them is is not a bad reflection either.  As for Beech...they really held them to 7 points.  was 45-7 end of third.  Beech scored 3 4th quarter TD's against the HHS 3rd team Defense.

The Lebanon QB def worries me.  He is special and pretty much beat us last year by himself.  I do think the HHS D will be better at containing the edge this year.

Should be a very physical low scoring game.  I still say that whoever wins the turnover battle will win the game.

11 hours ago, steelcityroller said:

You have a Hendersonville offense that has scored 52, 40 and 45 the last 3 weeks against Centennial, Station Camp and Beech.

You have a Lebanon defense that has allowed 12, 8, 14 and 7 through the first 4 games against Trousdale County, McGavock, Mt. Juliet and Lavergne. They also have forced 14 turnovers, blocked a punt and a field goal in those games.

So it sets up a classic offense vs defense matchup.

My issue here is on the other side of that matchup.

Hendersonville allowed 28 to Blackman the first game of the year. That team has since scored +40 every game since and might every game the rest of the year aside from Oakland. They have some major athletes on that team.

They allowed 26 to Centennial. They allowed 14 to Station Camp. And they allowed 27 to Beech but it has to be noted that almost all of that was in garbage time as I believe it was 45-7 in the 4th quarter.

So between the Blackman game and those against Station Camp and Beech I feel like there is at least a showing of a respectable defense for Hendersonville.

Now on to Lebanon's offense.

They have scored 16, 16, 10 and 30 in the first 4 games. They scored 16 on Trousdale County, 16 on McGavock, 10 on Mt. Juliet and 30 on Lavergne.

Against Trousdale County they had 273 yards and 169 (both touchdowns) of it came on 3 plays. So 104 yards on the other 40 plays. They got a field goal when a TC RB dropped the ball inside the 20 and Lebanon was unable to gain anything and just kicked a field goal.

Against McGavock they had 228 yards and 121 of it came on 2 plays. So 107 yards on the other 42 plays. They scored 16 points in this game and 8 of it came on a 5-yard drive after a turnover.

Against Mt. Juliet they had 60 yards. They had a field goal on a drive where they started off on the 10 after a turnover. They created 5 turnovers and a blocked punt. And only scored 10 points.

I don't have the stats for the Lebanon vs Lavergne game.... But I do know that the first 7 possessions of the game (alternating between teams) were interception, interception, punt, fumble, safety, punt and interception. Against a Lavergne team that is 0-4 and has lost by a combined score of 178-51 through 4 games.

So this is a team that has scored 72 points in 4 games. And 23 of those points have come on drives where they started off inside the 10 after a turnover.

So how many points can Lebanon realistically be expected to score in this game?

What does their defense have to hold Hendersonville to to win this game?

I think Hendersonville will be the best offensive team they have played yet this season. And they also have to be at least as good if not better on defense than McGavock and Lavergne. And 14 points isn't gonna get a win this week.

Hendersonville 21

Lebanon 7

What a great analysis!! Really enjoy your insight.

I will add a little more.  SC had a pick 6 against HHS, so their O only scored 7 and it was late in game against backups.  You are correct that 1st D only gave up 7 against Beech.  With that being said, SC and Beech offenses were REALLY bad.  They struggled up front as well.  I look for Lebanon offence (even with their struggles) to be considerably better than Beech and SC.

HHS D gave up several long busted plays against Blackman and Centennial.  I think they have gotten that somewhat under control.  Will be a big test to see if they have gotten better when trying to slow down Lebanon QB.

I think a big factor in this game is how does the HHS QB play?  He will get much more pressure on him this week than he has had since the Blackman game.  He will have to make good decisions and make some needed throws to keep the Lebanon D from totally loading up against the run.  He is definitely capable.  He is also very good at running the ball and running then option when called upon.

This really should be a great game!! Glad its at HHS.

Hville has been called a lot of things over the years but finesse is not one of them.  The strength of the team IMO is the O line.  As far as the game goes we have to keep Crite under control.  He absolutely killed us last year on the zone read and QB sweeps.  They move Logue around on D a lot and he is extremely tough to block and their entire defense runs to the ball very well.  I anticipate a tough physical grind it out game where first downs will be big, field position big and the kicking game big.  Go Commandos!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mondo44 said:

Hville has been called a lot of things over the years but finesse is not one of them.  The strength of the team IMO is the O line.  As far as the game goes we have to keep Crite under control.  He absolutely killed us last year on the zone read and QB sweeps.  They move Logue around on D a lot and he is extremely tough to block and their entire defense runs to the ball very well.  I anticipate a tough physical grind it out game where first downs will be big, field position big and the kicking game big.  Go Commandos!

From what I've seen teams are so focused on Logue that they overlook that there are probably 3-4 other kids on the DL/LB positions (and Crite at CB) that will be playing somewhere on Saturdays. They have another kid up front that generates push into the backfield consistently. And they have 3 linebackers that all run to the ball and tackle extremely well.

But yes Lebanon relies upon field position, special teams and turnovers to score points. If you want to beat them you have to take care of the ball and make them drive the length of the field.

2 hours ago, steelcityroller said:

From what I've seen teams are so focused on Logue that they overlook that there are probably 3-4 other kids on the DL/LB positions (and Crite at CB) that will be playing somewhere on Saturdays. They have another kid up front that generates push into the backfield consistently. And they have 3 linebackers that all run to the ball and tackle extremely well.

But yes Lebanon relies upon field position, special teams and turnovers to score points. If you want to beat them you have to take care of the ball and make them drive the length of the field.

Ok. This makes me ask, if they have 5-6 players on defense that will play on Saturdays, how did they lose to MJ with 6 turnovers? Is MJ just that good to overcome that or are people maybe giving Lebanon too much credit?

Thisnis a real question and I’m in no way talking bad about Lebanon. I do personally think people are a bit premature in thinking Lebanon has taken the step to beat good teams consistently. I still believe they finish 7-3 which is a huge step in the right direction. 

That said, I don’t think this game will be close. 

57 minutes ago, eers said:

Ok. This makes me ask, if they have 5-6 players on defense that will play on Saturdays, how did they lose to MJ with 6 turnovers? Is MJ just that good to overcome that or are people maybe giving Lebanon too much credit?

Thisnis a real question and I’m in no way talking bad about Lebanon. I do personally think people are a bit premature in thinking Lebanon has taken the step to beat good teams consistently. I still believe they finish 7-3 which is a huge step in the right direction. 

That said, I don’t think this game will be close. 

They have 5-6 players that good on defense. I believe that 4 of them either are already commits or have offers. Hence the 6 turnovers and Mt. Juliet only scoring 14 points.

They aren't that good at all on offense. Chandler Crite is the only weapon they have on offense. They have a young RB that is gonna be good but he isn't there yet.

Their coach said it in the paper this week when asked about it and said that they put emphasis on defense and that they fill out their defensive depth chart first before they worry about the offense. And they don't like to play kids both ways unless they absolutely feel its necessary. Crite and Logue are the only players that I've seen that play both ways.

If Hendersonville can get their offense going then yeah this could get ugly.

But the way Lebanon plays makes them a wild card in any game. That defense is good enough for them to almost beat Mt. Juliet. But that offense is so bad that they barely beat McGavock.

They give up a couple easy scores on special teams or off turnovers and they could easily lose to some of these teams on the schedule that people are expecting them to win.

Edited by steelcityroller