Hickman county (4-1) vs. Lewis county (4-1)

blackmamba11

This is a game for the old-timers. Many of us remember the days when Centerville and Hohenwald was circled on the calendar every year. In fact, Coach Sharp's first year in 1988 some of the boosters told him that they didn't care if he won another game as long a he beat Hickman Co. We won 21-7 and that game turned out the be the first victory for Coach Sharp as a head coach. Needless to say the expectations went up quickly that year and from then on. Another piece of trivia was the Hickman Co. was the first opponent that LC play at the new stadium. As far as who will win, I for one will not be too quick to declare. Just a few years ago in 2014 the Panthers were favored at home  and was well into the 4th Qrt leading 24-14. The Bulldogs went on to score late 2 TDs and to win the game 28-24.  

This rain has reminded me of another HC/LC story. I believe that it was 2007 when it had come a 3 day flood in Hohenwald. It had not rained that much in Centerville that week so when HC loss 21-6 they accused Coach Sharp of watering down the field to slow them down. It didn't happen and everyone that is was funny. HC got the last laugh because they ended up beating the Panthers in the playoffs 21-14.    

Hickman County forfeit the game. They didn't want to play Lewis County. And might I say that the players on Hickman County is some of the classless group of kids. After Hickman said they didn't want to play as Lewis County players was walking back to the locker room Players from Hickman was waving at them in A MOCKING WAY CLASSLESS

15 minutes ago, pantherpride17 said:

Hickman County forfeit the game. They didn't want to play Lewis County. And might I say that the players on Hickman County is some of the classless group of kids. After Hickman said they didn't want to play as Lewis County players was walking back to the locker room Players from Hickman was waving at them in A MOCKING WAY CLASSLESS

HUH?   Thats sound ridiculous.   Has to be more to it than that. You just dont show up and then say never mind. was Weather a factor in the cancellation of the   game?Isnt this  a region  game of some sorts as well?

I don't think it was a forfeit. 

The game was delayed at the 8:30 mark in the first quarter when lightning began. About 15-20 minutes into the delay a downpour began. After roughly 90 minutes we were told the teams would be returning to the field at approximately 9:15 to restart at 9:30, which was moved back 15 minutes. The rain subsided, the teams returned and began to stretch and warm up. Officials gathered under the tent behind the north end zone where the video crew sets up and a discussion ensued. Coaches and administrators met with officials and, with more lightning and weather moving in, the decision was made to call the game. What transpired after that was not what you want to see at a high school event and I will leave it at that for now.

To complete this game there are multiple options available in my opinion. It would not be without precedent to play the game on Sunday afternoon, as many schools have chosen this option in the past and which is what Columbia Central and Spring Hill will do to complete their game that was called due to weather at halftime tonight. Other options would require teams to play 2 games in 5 days, again not without precedent, or require Lewis County to cancel a non-region game that is scheduled on Hickman County's open date. Hickman County has a region game scheduled on Lewis County's open date.

Edited by TheStuff

1 minute ago, TheStuff said:

I don't think it was a forfeit. 

The game was delayed at the 8:30 mark in the first quarter when lightning began. About 15-20 minutes into the delay a downpour began. After roughly 90 minutes we were told the teams would be returning to the field at approximately 9:15 to restart at 9:30, which was moved back 15 minutes. The rain subsided, the teams returned and began to stretch and warm up. Officials gathered under the tent behind the north end zone where the video crew sets up and a discussion ensued. Coaches and administrators met with officials and, with more lightning and weather moving in, the decision was made to call the game. What transpired after that was not what you want to see at a high school event and I will leave it at that for now.

To complete this game there are multiple options available in my opinion. It would not be without precedent to play the game on Sunday afternoon, as many schools have chosen this options, which is what Columbia Central and Spring Hill will do to complete their game that was called due to weather at halftime tonight. Other options would require teams to play 2 games in 5 days, again not without precedent, or require Lewis County to cancel a non-region game that is scheduled on Hickman County's open date. Hickman County has a region game scheduled on Lewis County's open date.

Scotts Hill- Wayne County had a similar situation a couple of years ago...we played on Saturday.

• CoachT locked this topic