Henry County at Northeast

MSURacer

40 minutes ago, WRudolph2003 said:

They went to semi finals in 2013 so def not best team since 90’s. NE has very little returning so def think coach jumps ship at first opportunity. Not sure how many there will be after all the issues last part of the season. Don’t think a principal or AD is in a hurry to hire someone who can’t maintain control. They lost to HC because they were not as good as HC, close but not there yet. 

This team would have walked over the 2013 team. That team finished 8-6. In fact, ‘12 was better than ‘13. 

I’ll amend my comment to say this was the best NE team since 2012. I had totally forgotten how good they were that year with Reeves-Maybin, although that team still finished with 4 losses. 

For my money, this was the best NE team since the Travis Stephens years, but I don't guess it really matters.    

Edited by MSURacer

2 hours ago, MSURacer said:

This team would have walked over the 2013 team. That team finished 8-6. In fact, ‘12 was better than ‘13. 

I’ll amend my comment to say this was the best NE team since 2012. I had totally forgotten how good they were that year with Reeves-Maybin, although that team still finished with 4 losses. 

For my money, this was the best NE team since the Travis Stephens years, but I don't guess it really matters.    

Being from Clarksville this is the best team they have had in years but it’s not walking over 13 cerantily not ‘12 or ‘10 either. People forget about how good 2010 was. that was a team that went on the road 1st round to play beach ( defending state champions at the time) and completely destroyed them in the run game. Then lost in the final seconds to a strong Hendersonville team that ended up losing in state, however I do not recall that score.

12 that team lost to a beach team by a point in probably one of the best games in Tennessee Highschool football. Beach went on to play Northside in the semis a completely dominated them which was NE opener that year which ended in a very close lose but it was an opener. Jalen Hurd and beech went on to blow out the team out of East Tennessee. Easily a state run that ended in a great battle of the two Vols commits.

‘13 was a team made up of a lot of the same guys from that ‘12 team just without JRM. they had a hard fought way to get to the semi finals were they played a tough Henry team as always. NE has never had the depth to keep up with Henry. I don’t know either schools enrollment but Henry is always a lot deeper at every position compared to any Clarksville school. Which may just have to be with the popularity of basketball or just city kids being city kids.

Edited by Authentic931
Correction

2 hours ago, Authentic931 said:

Being from Clarksville this is the best team they have had in years but it’s not walking over 13 cerantily not ‘12 or ‘10 either. People forget about how good 2010 was. that was a team that went on the road 1st round to play beach ( defending state champions at the time) and completely destroyed them in the run game. Then lost in the final seconds to a strong Hendersonville team that ended up losing in state, however I do not recall that score.

12 that team lost to a beach team by a point in probably one of the best games in Tennessee Highschool football. Beach went on to play Northside in the semis a completely dominated them which was NE opener that year which ended in a very close lose but it was an opener. Jalen Hurd and beech went on to blow out the team out of East Tennessee. Easily a state run that ended in a great battle of the two Vols commits.

‘13 was a team made up of a lot of the same guys from that ‘12 team just without JRM. they had a hard fought way to get to the semi finals were they played a tough Henry team as always. NE has never had the depth to keep up with Henry. I don’t know either schools enrollment but Henry is always a lot deeper at every position compared to any Clarksville school. Which may just have to be with the popularity of basketball or just city kids being city kids.

All good points. I’m just partial to the 90’s Northeast teams because I played against them. Their ‘95 team was one of the state’s best, and likely competes for a title in a year with less daunting competition (Brentwood Academy). 

As far as present day Clarksville football goes, I think it’s a combination of many things. Strictly speaking of it as a city, it’s very similar to Murfreesboro in terms of size and demographics. The boro is obviously a football hotbed. I really don’t know why Clarksville has lagged so far behind. I do think dilution has affected it notably more than other cities with so many high schools, but Murfreesboro is rapidly catching up in that regard and doesn’t seem to be missing a beat. 

Edited by MSURacer
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

All good points. I’m just partial to the 90’s Northeast teams because I played against them. Their ‘95 team was one of the state’s best, and likely competes for a title in a year with less daunting competition (Brentwood Academy). 

As far as present day Clarksville football goes, I think it’s a combination of many things. Strictly speaking of it as a city, it’s very similar to Murfreesboro in terms of size and demographics. The boro is obviously a football hotbed. I really don’t know why Clarksville has lagged so far behind. I do think dilution has affected it notably more than other cities with so many high schools, but Murfreesboro is rapidly catching up in that regard and doesn’t seem to be missing a beat. 

I may be riding the horse to much but if Clarksville were to go down to Two or even One school(I know it would be 6A) it would be highly competitive in 6A I’d go as far as saying there are years it would beat Maryville on there dynasty years. So much talent even on the teams that are glorified JV teams that get stuck in a bad culture and never get to shine. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Regardless this would never happen gotta make what we have work. 

5 minutes ago, WRudolph2003 said:

The competition in the city was ridiculously low this year and there is no chance this team competes against 2012. That team played way better competition throughout the schedule which helped big time come playoff time.

‘12 had better individual talent, but I still think ‘18 was the better team. A lot of people overlook the fact that Northeast was pretty good last year. They gave us a decent game at our place and finished 7-4. Then they returned 16 starters this year and added the stud RB from Rossview. Their preseason hype was warranted and they looked every bit the part up until Friday night. 

And the 2012 team lost to Jackson NorthSide, Dickson County, and Paducah Tilghman. That slate might have been slightly more difficult than this year, but not by that much. 

16 minutes ago, WRudolph2003 said:

The competition in the city was ridiculously low this year and there is no chance this team competes against 2012. That team played way better competition throughout the schedule which helped big time come playoff time.

100% agree JRM on both sides of the ball was an absolute force that beach couldn’t even stop they just happen to catch a huge break with 2 mins left in the 4th NE player made a great hustle play that ended up hurting them in the end by tackling Hurd at the 1 ran the clock down and northeast only had 30 secs to get down the field and scored but time expired.

7 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

‘12 had better individual talent, but I still think ‘18 was the better team. A lot of people overlook the fact that Northeast was pretty good last year. They gave us a decent game at our place and finished 7-4. Then they returned 16 starters this year and added the stud RB from Rossview. Their preseason hype was warranted and they looked every bit the part up until Friday night. 

And the 2012 team lost to Jackson NorthSide, Dickson County, and Paducah Tilghman. That slate might have been slightly more difficult than this year, but not by that much. 

Northside was a semifinal team, Dickson has always givin NE fits and I believe Paducah is the game JRM tore his labrum.

Not trying to take away from this team they are outstanding. I just don’t think size or speed wise they compare to 13,12 or 10. I also don’t think the competition in the city is as good either. Also impartial to thinking shelby is a much better coach then Watson. However what Watson has done with the program is outstanding and I’m glade he is at NE.

Edited by Authentic931
Correction

4 minutes ago, Authentic931 said:

Northside was a semifinal team, Dickson has always givin NE fits and I believe Paducah is the game JRM tore his labrum.

True about Northside. I had forgotten they had a really good team that year. I had also forgotten how good Dickson was that year, finishing 10-2. 

I guess the 2012 team was better than I had given it credit for. The Beech semifinal game that year was a classic. 

3 minutes ago, WRudolph2003 said:

Toughest team they played this year before HC was a Clarksville team missing their best player. The fact that team had JRM should be enough, this team had good players but noone close to JRM. 

After reviewing the 2012 season for Northeast and its opponents, I will concede I was wrong. 

That was an excellent team.