Bradley visits Heritage

BarneySox2007

1 minute ago, HHSFB10 said:

Heritage beat a much more talented south Doyle team last year they had no business playing with. That was mainly because heritage looked more disciplined and more prepared. 

No doubt better coaching played a part in Heritage's improvement. But now they are having a hard time convincing kids to compete every day at practice when the adults running the program ran from playing Alcoa.

All these kids know each other, they all talk.  When a kid knows his coaches/Admins run from competition in their backyard, those same adults have zero credibility in holding those kids accountable for competing hard at practice and in games.

20 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Being in 5A helped. They were in 5A when someone thought that a "Super 32" would help smaller schools. It had the opposite effect. It pushed better teams into smaller classifications. Farragut benefited with a championship in 5A. 

9 minutes ago, HSfootballfanatic12 said:

So, are you saying the coaching staff had nothing to do with it? It was strictly based on being 5A? I agree  that helped, but those Heritage teams weren't beating some of the teams they played on just talent alone. They weren't talented enough to do that. 

I said it helped. Being in 5A helped mask some talent deficiencies. 

27 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

No doubt better coaching played a part in Heritage's improvement. But now they are having a hard time convincing kids to compete every day at practice when the adults running the program ran from playing Alcoa.

All these kids know each other, they all talk.  When a kid knows his coaches/Admins run from competition in their backyard, those same adults have zero credibility in holding those kids accountable for competing hard at practice and in games.

What does heritage gain playing Alcoa? Playing a team and getting your teeth kicked in does nothing to improve the program. I understand the idea of playing the best teams  to make you better, but you shouldn’t play the  best of the best if you’re one of the worst. 

1 minute ago, HHSFB10 said:

What does heritage gain playing Alcoa? Playing a team and getting your teeth kicked in does nothing to improve the program. I understand the idea of playing the best teams  to make you better, but you shouldn’t play the  best of the best if you’re one of the worst. 

Heritage and Wb played Alcoa for decades. Then decided to run away, take an easier route, avoid an obstacle, etc.

The kids know the adults are doing this, so the adults have zero credibility with the kids when they are trying to hold them accountable.

Its like a preacher that openly cheats on his wife with several women in the community try to preach about adultery to the families in the congregation of those same women.

You can't demand respect, accountability, hard work, commitment, Competition, from kids, when you blatantly don't practice some of those qualities yourself.

The kids hear from other kids that they are scared to compete, the adults actions verify what the other kids are telling them then the coaches have the nerve to get mad at the kids for not competing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Heritage and Wb played Alcoa for decades. Then decided to run away, take an easier route, avoid an obstacle, etc.

The kids know the adults are doing this, so the adults have zero credibility with the kids when they are trying to hold them accountable.

Its like a preacher that openly cheats on his wife with several women in the community try to preach about adultery to the families in the congregation of those same women.

You can't demand respect, accountability, hard work, commitment, Competition, from kids, when you blatantly don't practice some of those qualities yourself.

The kids hear from other kids that they are scared to compete, the adults actions verify what the other kids are telling them then the coaches have the nerve to get mad at the kids for not competing.

Well said!!

3 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

That’s not the case at all. There is no way a kid has thought to themselves, “hey I don’t have to work hard, and lose every game because we don’t play Alcoa”. Teams get better by playing similar teams that they can compete with. Heritage can’t play with Alcoa. Heritage had played Maryville year after year, and it hasn’t made heritage any better. 

I don't mean to harp on this so much. But I get incredibly frustrated when adults do the wrong thing, then get mad at kids for doing the same thing.

Adult leaders should set the example, be above doubt and set the bar so high with their own code of conduct, work ethic and value system, that kids have no excuses but to be molded into better people.

I know how hard some teachers/staff work in schools to do this despite many parents failing to carry their weight, and when I see leaders that could really help reinforce these values bail out I get frustrated.

2 minutes ago, HHSFB10 said:

That’s not the case at all. There is no way a kid has thought to themselves, “hey I don’t have to work hard, and lose every game because we don’t play Alcoa”. Teams get better by playing similar teams that they can compete with. Heritage can’t play with Alcoa. Heritage had played Maryville year after year, and it hasn’t made heritage any better. 

Kids tell other kids, on social media, at youth groups, etc, you're coaches are scared to compete with us.

Kids see the evidence backs the statement up. Same coaches demand kids compete and work hard, but coaches have no credibility.

I've seen first hand at one school how a coach that kids know doesn't do the right thing destroys moral and sends the program into a tail spin.

Its hard to get teenagers to do the right thing, when adult role models don't, its almost impossible,

26 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Kids tell other kids, on social media, at youth groups, etc, you're coaches are scared to compete with us.

Kids see the evidence backs the statement up. Same coaches demand kids compete and work hard, but coaches have no credibility.

I've seen first hand at one school how a coach that kids know doesn't do the right thing destroys moral and sends the program into a tail spin.

Its hard to get teenagers to do the right thing, when adult role models don't, its almost impossible,

It’s true that when adults do the wrong things it’s impossible to get kids to do the right things. BUT, and this is a big but, heritage not playing Alcoa is not the wrong thing. It makes no sense for heritage to play them. They gain nothing from it. 

If I decide not to fight mike Tyson it doesn’t mean I’m running from competition, it means I know I’m not in the same league as Tyson and have no business fighting him.