Basketball shorts rule

CoachHolly7

warmachine 7954 you said If disallowing rolled waistbands ruins a game it's not much of a game to start with.  But then you replied to me with this  "Organized game, standards are expectations, blah, blah, blah."

so what is it?

were you in between meds, cause it sound like you are talking out both sides of your neck.

Bob bigelow  Just Let the kids Play

read it

On 10/31/2018 at 8:26 AM, District12AA said:

Just a bunch of old white men making rules to keep kids down. Things like this are about power and control and has very little to do with safety.

An old white man invented the game of basketball. So, is it consider cultural appropriation for non-whites to play basketball?

17 hours ago, delrod said:

warmachine 7954 you said If disallowing rolled waistbands ruins a game it's not much of a game to start with.  But then you replied to me with this  "Organized game, standards are expectations, blah, blah, blah."

so what is it?

were you in between meds, cause it sound like you are talking out both sides of your neck.

Bob bigelow  Just Let the kids Play

read it

What?

Please explain how this is contradictory.

You're really new here. I think you'll find this forum isn't Twitter or Facebook. Little things go a long way. Random mumbling doesn't get you much credibility here. 

There is a reason that some really talented players never made it to high-level college or professional basketball. Movies like Hoosiers, Glory Road, and Coach Carter give great examples of kids sacrificing and buying into organized basketball.

Other stories like  Hooked: The Legend of Demetrius "Hook" Mitchell, Rebound: The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault, Hoop Dreams, Release: The Jack Ryan Story. show extremely talented individuals that just couldn't conform to organized basketball and everyone lost on out. 

The city of Memphis is overrun with kids that are talented but are way too cool to fully understand what the game is about and what it has to offer. Usually, these kids have coaches that don't care about discipline or accountability and it's shown on and off the court. 

The moniker of "Just let the kids play." is a weak excuse for people that lack sacrifice, discipline, and accountability. 

Edited by warmachine7954

owe you an apology.  I read that wrong.  But I do think we are missing out on kids being able to play because of this dumb rule.  How many kids in Tennessee go on to play after high school? 1-2%?  My worry is the kid who needs basketball, or any sport for that matter to maybe push him or her in the right direction later on in life.  We have to get over this thing of making dumb rules that keep kids from playing.  That is the most important part of sports, making the kids feel like they are a part of something.  Make it fun, have rules that the kids need to follow to be a part of the program, but don't let kids get gone just because shorts that don't fit.  

32 minutes ago, delrod said:

owe you an apology.  I read that wrong.  But I do think we are missing out on kids being able to play because of this dumb rule.  How many kids in Tennessee go on to play after high school? 1-2%?  My worry is the kid who needs basketball, or any sport for that matter to maybe push him or her in the right direction later on in life.  We have to get over this thing of making dumb rules that keep kids from playing.  That is the most important part of sports, making the kids feel like they are a part of something.  Make it fun, have rules that the kids need to follow to be a part of the program, but don't let kids get gone just because shorts that don't fit.  

There are no student-athletes in this state that are missing out on any sport because the rules don't allow modifications to their uniforms.

Students miss out on the chance to play sports at the high school level many times simply due to the fact that they or their parents are not willing to do what is necessary to play for the school or coach. I've seen parents pull their kids off of teams because of playing time, the coach didn't play the kid in a certain situation, the school corrected the student for grades or behavior. 

If a kid can't make his high school team, for whatever reason, there are tons of opportunities (AAU, rec league, or church league) to play. We have tons of kids at my school that didn't come close to making our team but play on an AAU team in the city. 

Our society is set-up to be a pay-for-play system. It gives people the false idea that if I pay for something my kid should get the same as everyone else. That carries over to high school sports. It also carries over to things like rules. It usually starts out like this... I think kids should... be able to wear whatever headgear they want, be able to wear their earrings, wear sleeves, not have to wear the same uniform.

Basketball has shoes. Shoes have been the standard for individuality in basketball since about 1984. It is a multi-billion dollar industry. Some high school coaches don't care so kids wear whatever, some coaches know team shoes are not an option (I had this issue when I coached on the Navajo Nation), some coaches have to buy shoes for kids, some coaches are very strict in their shoe policy (team shoes or you can take a walk).

Again it comes down to how disciplined can you be. If you just have to be an individual and wear your Js, Kobe's, Curry's, etc... then your character might need some work. 

The amount of kids that need to role their shorts is negligible and can be solved by someone taking the shorts up with a stitch that can be let out later.  

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, delrod said:

The kid who "needs basketball...to push him or her in the right direction later on in life" is the kid who needs discipline and the affirmation that rules have to be followed in society, or there are consequences. These "dumb rules" do not keep kids from playing, they teach dumb kids that fitting into a team ( conforming to rules ) is part of the program.