Below .500 or losing Records in Playoffs

wolfchase

Saw an article today lamenting the fact that Massachusetts High School Football had a team with a losing record in their Playoffs. How about Tennessee High School Football, a whole Region in the Playoffs with a losing record. 4 teams in the Region. All 4 making Playoffs. How can State Championship be legit with this. All 4 with losing Records. Even winner of the Region hoist a losing record. The Champion at 3-8 or 4-6 at best . East making the playoffs w/o even winning a game. In TSSAA playoffs with 0-9 record, have only scored 12 pts all year in all games combined. wtf. What happened to East HS Football, gotta be the worst team in the state in the weakest region in the state.  Too many State Champions in Tennessee High School football, way too watered down, irrelevant. Everybody getting a State Championship nowadays, everybody getting participation trophies. Beat one good team you State Champs. 9, count em, NINE STATE CHAMPIONS. The Private Divisions are even more despicable. State Championships are basically equivalent to winning a small district just spread out. Hey if it's just 4 teams yippee one of us can be State Champs. What do you guys think? 

• Like 1

I agree. It’s a bad look when a team that bad performance wise will get in the playoffs. Back in the day you wasn’t even secured with a playoff spot even at 7-3. Peabody will play the winner of manassas/MAHS the bad thing is that these teams have 1-9 records. There’s ways too many good teams in 7 2A, for example if Gibson county loses Friday night then they won’t make the playoffs at a record of 6-4. The worst team in the region we play first round is 1-9. I’ve felt this way for a long time about this topic. I feel that they need to knock out the 4 team from region thing out. 

13 hours ago, Goldenpride said:

I agree. It’s a bad look when a team that bad performance wise will get in the playoffs. Back in the day you wasn’t even secured with a playoff spot even at 7-3. Peabody will play the winner of manassas/MAHS the bad thing is that these teams have 1-9 records. There’s ways too many good teams in 7 2A, for example if Gibson county loses Friday night then they won’t make the playoffs at a record of 6-4. The worst team in the region we play first round is 1-9. I’ve felt this way for a long time about this topic. I feel that they need to knock out the 4 team from region thing out. 

Gibson County is in control of their own destiny.  Gibson County can win the right to go to the playoffs on the field.  Please do not advocate bringing back the Z-Plan.  

I’d rather play a 2-8 type team in the first round even if starters exited early, than get a bye and get out of routine at the most important time of the season.

Limiting teams moving up except for legitimate reasons, travel or competition, might help on the 4 team regions. Wanting to avoid certain opponents, not allowed.

Edited by Indian