Ravenwood at Whitehaven

kwc

10 hours ago, eers said:

I would say the closest thing athletically Ravenwood has seen to what they will see Friday is Cane Ridge. 

For the sake of comparison, I can see that. It seems to me that Ravenwood had two weeks to prepare for that game. Stylistically though, CR and Whitehaven are very different. We are an 'old school' team at heart. Most youngsters haven't seen what we do defensively. It's hard to prepare for it if you have never faced it and they aren't going to get two weeks to prepare. 

Edited by kwc

2 hours ago, kwc said:

For the sake of comparison, I can see that. It seems to me that Ravenwood had two weeks to prepare for that game. Stylistically though, CR and Whitehaven are very different. We are an 'old school's team at heart. Most youngsters haven't seen what we do defensively. It's hard to prepare for it if you have never faced it and they aren't going to get two weeks to prepare. 

I agree with that. 

5 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

Whatever side #31 plays CB on for Ravenwood should have 8-10 targets or whenever it looks like he's in cover 1. I think we'd have the advantage with #14, #9, #4 or #8!!!

He's not the only guy back there on the back end of the Ravenwood defense who is small in size. I saw a #21 and a #26 on the Framklin highlight. The Ravenwood roster at Max_Preps has them listed as follows:

21 Ian Gatlin CB, FS Jr. 5-9  
26 Ben Severance SS So. 5-9 160
31 Garrett Moorman CB Jr. 5-7 145

I'm really wondering how they stop #14, #9, and #3 for that matter, if it is decided to use him on offense.

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, kwc said:

He's not the only guy back there on the back end of the Ravenwood defense who is small in size. I saw a #21 and a #26 on the Framklin highlight. The Ravenwood roster at Max_Preps has them listed as follows:

21 Ian Gatlin CB, FS Jr. 5-9  
26 Ben Severance SS So. 5-9 160
31 Garrett Moorman CB Jr. 5-7 145

I'm really wondering how they stop #14, #9, and #3 for that matter, if it is decided to use him on offense.

Tbh, after watching a little bit of the Brentwood game that's on YouTube I think they will play #2 and #10 somewhere in the secondary, especially if we were to come out Moss'n them little dudes! I know Coach D likes to run the ball but if the weather is right and #12 is dialed in I can see this being a real balanced run to pass play type of game because I'm sorry as a 5'8" guy myself it's not too much you can do with them Upper D1 caliber 6'2" plus wrs

#25 looks good on defense 

#11 got some decent size at end/OLB. The rest of that defense doesn't look anything like the one that came here last time we played them.

Team speed on defense looks suspect too.

Just in the game I've seen against Brentwood 

Edited by BlackHavenSenator
Additional comments

1 hour ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

#25 looks good on defense 

#11 got some decent size at end/OLB. The rest of that defense doesn't look anything like the one that came here last time we played them.

Different coaching staff. Different philosophy. Yet, here they are in the semifinals beating Cane Ridge in the 2nd Round to get here. It doesn't matter the size of the team. Ravenwood put 43 points on Cane Ridge and 47 on Brentwood in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 6A playoffs respectively. They are scoring points in bunches.

BTW ... the Brentwood vs Ravenwood game (Quarterfinal playoff game)  is available On-Demand at the NFHS Network. Membership is free. It cost to watch/stream a live game. On-Demand is free.

They are not big. They are small and fast ... but not big at all.

Edited by kwc

So us 4-5 Whitehaven posters have to talk amongst ourselves to get any traction on the board I see... well here goes nothing: kwc, DannyQ, Coach10ac and Havengrad04 what are ya'll doing for Thanksgiving? What time will you arrive to the Stadium Friday? Do you have an X factor player in mind?

Go

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

On 11/18/2018 at 9:34 PM, LoveForTheGame said:

Very good up front on both sides, including OT Gabe Sleenhoff who is getting interest from low D1 schools/ivies. On defense, LB Graham Barton is looking at offers from similar schools. Smaller, borderline undersized skill players but make up in speed what they lack in size. Look at the connection between QB Bryan Garcia and WRs Anthony Holmes, Andrew Mason and Evan Coleman along with RBs Tony Rice, William Baine and Jordan Smith.  

Tactically Ravenwood runs a 3/4-4/3 hybrid on defense and a spread on offense, but the spread is an unorthodox one, think Ravenwood under Hester and/or Auburn University under Malzahn. Maybe with more shifts and misdirection. I know Whitehaven is usually full of large athletes, so we'll see how the Raptors match up.  

Is Anthony Holmes really 5'5"??? He looks more like 5'9" at least. 

2 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

So us 4-5 Whitehaven posters have to talk amongst ourselves to get any traction on the board I see... well here goes nothing: kwc, DannyQ, Coach10ac and Havengrad04 what are ya'll doing for Thanksgiving? What time will you arrive to the Stadium Friday? Do you have an X factor player in mind?

Go

Eating good, drinking gooder, and watching football with the family. 

I’ll be there right at 7 soon as I get off work. One X factor will be our secondary taking advantage of their spread type offense and forcing turnovers. I saw on highlights we had at least two picks that we dropped. We should’ve scored more against Germantown last week with all the turnovers they had so the offense has to take better advantage of opportunities the defense gives us. We have the clear advantage out wide but Sneed having succes running will be the main X factor. What is Ravenwoods dline looking like?

Edited by Havengrad04

2 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

Go

I will be doing what I do. I most def will be there early and my X factor will be sneed!!! Him giving us a good ground attack will be key!! His speed and hard running on the ground can cripple what they want to do even if they stack the box which I believe they will. With Harris spinning the ball we have will have a good chance to control the game early....it wont be easy but if the D is still in that zone, we will be fine