Waverly vs Scott’s Hill

vandyfan1

12 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

I can tell you I have seen Peabody Meigs and Greenback. The last two performances from waverly I was satisfied with our effort with the guys we have on the field for the most part. Scott’s Hill had some guys wide open but just couldn’t connect. I think Fairview would have done better if they would have thrown more.

Pass defense and penalties is what’s going to cost us. Our line is playing pretty good don’t you think? I would also like to see #8 get the ball more other than the jet sweeps. He is to good to just give him side line to side line. What’s your thoughts Trollin?

11 hours ago, Trollin said:

I think your right. Pass defense and penalties are our down fall.

The penalties kill me. If not for all the stupid penalties we probably would have scored more points. It’s a drive killer for sure and gets aggravating. I think a lot of it is the receivers and lets be honest, they are young or inexperienced or both. They will learn and hopefully get better. 

The offensive and defensive line are finally beast mode and getting better each week. Definitely our strong point is our line on both sides.

I agree Stewart needs the ball more. He needs to be running vertical or be getting him the ball quick out in space. I think Ingram does a fantastic job running the ball but I feel like Stewart could maybe break one where Ingram eventually gets hawked down. 

I am impressed that Graham Stanfield is throwing the ball better. Week 1 he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and it looked like a dead duck flying through the air, and now he actually has a tight spiral and hitting receivers in stride. I think the passing game will only get better.

With that said, I also think Brady Stanfield needs the ball more. Kid is a player and if he gets the ball quick in space I think he could make guys miss for big gains.

The secondary is young and there are a lot of mistakes. I see a lot of simple things they need to work on that could make huge changes. Like getting off blocks, attacking the outside hip, forcing, and making the correct run fit. The pass defense has improved but guys are still getting beat. Luckily a few times Scott’s Hill QB just made some inaccurate throws. I feel like they will improve each week and log some experience through reps in game and at practice. 

It’s nice to see Clayton King out there finally logging some quality minutes and he will get better each week. I think he will be a huge asset to both sides of the ball.

I don’t know his name, but #10 just looks athletic. And has my interest. I know he came with King from basketball. I don’t know if he just hasn’t learned what to do yet or maybe I’m just wrong but that kid looks like he could help us down the road.

Overall I’m pleased with the effort and am excited about where this team is headed. It’s definitely in the right direction. Keep getting better and keep grinding it out and clean up the penalties and we may make some noise. 

Oh my goodness, thank you both. I'm so glad somebody else is saying it, but it's been driving me crazy trying to understand why #8 is not in the backfield! I understand that he's very quick and have great hands, so coaches want to put him at receiver, because McConnell did the same thing, but this kid is a phenomenal running back out of the backfield between the tackles! His 8th grade year, after the 3 headed monster left the jr. high, he was the premier back. I kid you not, he played every single down on everything including special teams and he averaged 300+ yards a game and took them all the way to the championship game that year. I've been wanting to say something, but I don't want to be that guy that's like give my boy the ball, because it's not about that. It's more about making our offense more potent and getting us to the semis, which I think we could do if we make a few adjustments, this being one of them. And if you think I'm exaggerating about the 300+ yards a game, talk to Mccloud and I guarantee he will confirm everything, matter of fact, that next year, he wouldn't even let anyone where the #10 because it was his number in jr. high. Not sure if he's still doing that, but that is how much respect he had for him!

By the way Trollin, #10 is Brier Johnson.  The kid is a ball player! Been trying to get him to play for years because he was also a big part of #8's jr. high success, but he didn't like playing for McConnell. If they can work him in more, he can have a major impact as well!

Rant over, lol.