D2-3A which is stronger...East/Middle or Wsest?

PurplePanther

5 hours ago, eers said:

They have ZERO Region wins and that non-region schedule is anything but stellar. Let’s not try to make it something it’s not.

Mad far as college coaches go, if you’re an athlete, they will find you.

Academics are an easy way to deflect the real issues we were discussing. The reality is if a kid can score high enough on the ACT/SAT, they will get in to those Ivy League schools. I’ve had teachers at JP2 tell me it’s more effective to save the tuition money, take the AP classes at the public school, and pay for a good ACT prep; as we know test scores is really what drives it all when it comes to college acceptance.

Unless the real concern is ego and presumed status... or as I have personally heard: “yeah, JP2’s recruiting me” and/or the student athletes concerned being able to tell their Middle School teammates/classmates this same thing. 

The "real concern" seems to be yours.  Why do you care if a 14 yo boy is claiming to be recruited?  

Let's just leave it at that JP2 is not the right fit for you and/or your family however it might be for others.  The school has been a great fit our family, which is my true measuring stick.

5 hours ago, eers said:

They have ZERO Region wins and that non-region schedule is anything but stellar. Let’s not try to make it something it’s not.

Mad far as college coaches go, if you’re an athlete, they will find you.

Academics are an easy way to deflect the real issues we were discussing. The reality is if a kid can score high enough on the ACT/SAT, they will get in to those Ivy League schools. I’ve had teachers at JP2 tell me it’s more effective to save the tuition money, take the AP classes at the public school, and pay for a good ACT prep; as we know test scores is really what drives it all when it comes to college acceptance.

Unless the real concern is ego and presumed status... or as I have personally heard: “yeah, JP2’s recruiting me” and/or the student athletes concerned being able to tell their Middle School teammates/classmates this same thing. 

I believe you deflected with an accusation of deflection and never addressed what was written.  Who in Sumner goes undefeated with that schedule?  I also wrote that they have a lot of schools recruiting their players which is a credit to the coaching staff.  Your comment on “if you are an athlete they will find you” confuses me with your previous statements.  Does JP2 have athletes or not?

Ivy league schools- actually it is more than ACT scores and if you believe it is, you want to talk to an academic advisor.  There are kids with 30’s on the ACT that are not accepted...I’m not talking scholarship...not be admitted to the school.

I don’t bash private or public schools as it depends on the kid.  It eventually comes down to the parents in my opinion.  JRB’s comments are still valid: smaller classroom size with more 1-on-1 interaction tends to provide a better learning environment...surely you can see that.  What school in Sumner has higher ACT/SAT scores than JP2?

I stand by my post...attaboy’s go to the coaching staff for getting these schools on campus to see their young men.

BTW- I’m not a JP2 fan...I just don’t let bias get in the way of what my lying eyes see!:roflolk:

2 hours ago, JRB said:

The "real concern" seems to be yours.  Why do you care if a 14 yo boy is claiming to be recruited?  

Let's just leave it at that JP2 is not the right fit for you and/or your family however it might be for others.  The school has been a great fit our family, which is my true measuring stick.

The real concern is yet another school breaking TSSAA rules. Follow the rules. Do it right. 

2 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

I believe you deflected with an accusation of deflection and never addressed what was written.  Who in Sumner goes undefeated with that schedule?  I also wrote that they have a lot of schools recruiting their players which is a credit to the coaching staff.  Your comment on “if you are an athlete they will find you” confuses me with your previous statements.  Does JP2 have athletes or not?

Ivy league schools- actually it is more than ACT scores and if you believe it is, you want to talk to an academic advisor.  There are kids with 30’s on the ACT that are not accepted...I’m not talking scholarship...not be admitted to the school.

I don’t bash private or public schools as it depends on the kid.  It eventually comes down to the parents in my opinion.  JRB’s comments are still valid: smaller classroom size with more 1-on-1 interaction tends to provide a better learning environment...surely you can see that.  What school in Sumner has higher ACT/SAT scores than JP2?

I stand by my post...attaboy’s go to the coaching staff for getting these schools on campus to see their young men.

BTW- I’m not a JP2 fan...I just don’t let bias get in the way of what my lying eyes see!:roflolk:

I never said anyone would go undefeated, but there are a few programs that are better every year. These teams would at least be competitive... maybe even win a couple Region games. 

They have a few athletes every year.  Being at JP2 is not what gets them recruited.  The kids getting recruitedthere would get recruited at any Sumner County school  that was the point.

comparing ACT scores between public and private (who have entrance requirements) is a skewed argument.  I would venture to say if you removed the kids who wouldn’t be granted entrance at the private school, the scores would be very comparable.  High level kids are high level kids.  The teachers aren’t better at the private schools, you have simply removed the low scoring kids from the equation.

Ivy League schools... you can think what you want, but the biggest requirement at most is the ACT, at least for athletes. That’s the one requirement that most schools will not waiver on for their coaches. I know this personally, as I have dealt with it. 

4 hours ago, eers said:

The real concern is yet another school breaking TSSAA rules. Follow the rules. Do it right. 

I never said anyone would go undefeated, but there are a few programs that are better every year. These teams would at least be competitive... maybe even win a couple Region games. 

They have a few athletes every year.  Being at JP2 is not what gets them recruited.  The kids getting recruitedthere would get recruited at any Sumner County school  that was the point.

comparing ACT scores between public and private (who have entrance requirements) is a skewed argument.  I would venture to say if you removed the kids who wouldn’t be granted entrance at the private school, the scores would be very comparable.  High level kids are high level kids.  The teachers aren’t better at the private schools, you have simply removed the low scoring kids from the equation.

Ivy League schools... you can think what you want, but the biggest requirement at most is the ACT, at least for athletes. That’s the one requirement that most schools will not waiver on for their coaches. I know this personally, as I have dealt with it. 

A lot to unwrap here.  I will only point to a few and then reply to posts about the original topic:

Every school has a few athletes each year.  My reply stated that the coaches are working to get schools on campus to see these athletes.  Not all schools do this.

ACT and entrance exams- which is it?  The entrance exam is actually a placement test for Diocese schools.  In fact, some offer classes for kids with special needs...like JP2.  I don’t know if you knew that.  Denying admission for test scores goes against Diocesen rules.  In other words, the freshmen classes aren’t the best of the best as I read to be implied.  No removal of low scoring kids so we can agree to disagree, but JP2 ACT scores are impressive.

Teachers- again, the point was classroom size.  Take a teacher with a class size of 40 kids....take same teacher and reduce class size to 20...theoretically the smaller class will test higher.  Given that some Catholic school teachers make less than their counterparts in the public schools is a credit to their dedication.

Lastly- you had a previous comment about it being ridiculous for a kid to go to JP2 to play football.  I totally agree...any school and not just JP2.  And if the fallback is about being recruited....Catholic schools can only offer up to half the tuition for qualifying families...which means that the recruit’s family still needs to pay about $10k. 

Now back to the topic:

BA over Ensworth 

MBA over Baylor

Ensworth loses 2 straight (BA and McCallie next) leaving them praying for a Father Ryan win in Knoxville next week.

It’s getting good at the end of the season!

3 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

A lot to unwrap here.  I will only point to a few and then reply to posts about the original topic:

Every school has a few athletes each year.  My reply stated that the coaches are working to get schools on campus to see these athletes.  Not all schools do this.

ACT and entrance exams- which is it?  The entrance exam is actually a placement test for Diocese schools.  In fact, some offer classes for kids with special needs...like JP2.  I don’t know if you knew that.  Denying admission for test scores goes against Diocesen rules.  In other words, the freshmen classes aren’t the best of the best as I read to be implied.  No removal of low scoring kids so we can agree to disagree, but JP2 ACT scores are impressive.

Teachers- again, the point was classroom size.  Take a teacher with a class size of 40 kids....take same teacher and reduce class size to 20...theoretically the smaller class will test higher.  Given that some Catholic school teachers make less than their counterparts in the public schools is a credit to their dedication.

Lastly- you had a previous comment about it being ridiculous for a kid to go to JP2 to play football.  I totally agree...any school and not just JP2.  And if the fallback is about being recruited....Catholic schools can only offer up to half the tuition for qualifying families...which means that the recruit’s family still needs to pay about $10k. 

Now back to the topic:

BA over Ensworth 

MBA over Baylor

Ensworth loses 2 straight (BA and McCallie next) leaving them praying for a Father Ryan win in Knoxville next week.

It’s getting good at the end of the season!

Everybody saying MBA over Baylor. Reasons? Or are you just going off past years? 

29 minutes ago, Spartan4Life said:

Everybody saying MBA over Baylor. Reasons? Or are you just going off past years? 

there u go again Sparty.....sayin things that ant all tru....twisted words to conform to your sensitivity bout your new school......not everbody sayin Suk Creek goin to be beat by MBA....2 or 3 people chose MBA over Spartys new favorite school Suk Creek....then Sparty brings out Sparty democratic side and goes all Adam Schiff on us.....dont make Booger go back and prove Sparty can go consrugulate things...

...wish ole Boog could come to the Suk Crek campus for the matchup with Big Red Friday.....

....Sparty and Spartys new favorite team lucks up and gets a W friday....Booger makin a Music City trip next week to sit w/ Sparty.....since the Irish r turnin in gear Monday

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, Spartan4Life said:

I thought it was going to be a bad year for MBA, but they have hit their stride at the right time in my opinion.  The defense has experience.  Offense is young, but the freshman QB (never thought I’d see that at MBA) is very talented.  A pocket passer who will burn you if he is flushed...the young man has wheels.  They have no one as talented as Howard on the team, but this is a Marty team so they are very well coached.  My gut says that everyone will do their job for the team win.  Just my opinion.

50 minutes ago, Booger said:

there u go again Sparty.....sayin things that ant all tru....twisted words to conform to your sensitivity bout your new school......not everbody sayin Suk Creek goin to be beat by MBA....2 or 3 people chose MBA over Spartys new favorite school Suk Creek....then Sparty brings out Sparty democratic side and goes all Adam Schiff on us.....dont make Booger go back and prove Sparty can go consrugulate things...

...wish ole Boog could come to the Suk Crek campus for the matchup with Big Red Friday.....

....Sparty and Spartys new favorite team lucks up and gets a W friday....Booger makin a Music City trip next week to sit w/ Sparty.....since the Irish r turnin in gear Monday

That is going to be a great game as well.  I don’t know which would be more entertaining, the game or Spartan4life and Booger in the stands together. :popcorneater:

9 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

I thought it was going to be a bad year for MBA, but they have hit their stride at the right time in my opinion.  The defense has experience.  Offense is young, but the freshman QB (never thought I’d see that at MBA) is very talented.  A pocket passer who will burn you if he is flushed...the young man has wheels.  They have no one as talented as Howard on the team, but this is a Marty team so they are very well coached.  My gut says that everyone will do their job for the team win.  Just my opinion.

speed is speed...and it dont take much coachin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Booger said:

One thing booger has dead wrong about sparty is his political affiliations. That’s for sure. Everyone in this post has picked MBA. 

1 hour ago, PurplePanther said:

So you havnt seen Baylor this year? I only caught a little of MBA against Ensworth. So I don’t know enough to say what you all are bringing. But Baylor is not what you’ve played the past three years.