Jackson Northside/Henry County

z0s022

I believe I forgot to mention this in my last post....Henry COunty has a completely new system. They push the action and press the whole game.

Anyways tonight against Northside Henry County won 95-89. Wendell Sturdivant had 33 and Zech Teague had 24. They again had trouble closing out the game...after holding a double digit lead for almost the whole game...when they tried to slow down the pace they gave up the big league. They managed to hold on tonight unlike last night when Union City found a way to send it to overtime and eventually win it.

Oh yeah the Delk's each had 17...

He forgot to mention that the only reason that Henry Co. got the lead was because the officials kept callig fouls against North Side in the first half. I understad that officials will miss a few calls and that is fine, but the missed some obvious calls tonight. They called a technical on Coach Hill from North Side for no reason, he had not said a word to the referee. But when the Henry Co player slammed the ball on the court was anything called no. It is really hard to try and play a real game when 7 minutes into the game a team already has 10 team fouls with 2 technicals. If the referees would have made good calls both ways this would have been a much better game to watch. North Side had to dig so far into their bench that they almost ran out of players. I was really upset with how many calls were missed.

And another thing....

I the annoucement before the game the announcer said that Henry Co. prides itself on sportsmanship. No sportsmanship was shown tonight by the fans. In the girls game, the boys in capes behind the hoop were yellig at a player during a free throw on a foul that she had committed. Then during the entire boys game the students were stealing the cheerleaders pom-poms and hiding them. Then the assistant principal finally walks over there with 4 seconds remaining when everyoe had left. In my opinion Henry County has no sportmanship.

Well there is still a game two when Henry Co. comes here maybe we will get fair refs this time.

I do not get that. They yelled at the girl...during a free throw. Dear me!(sarcasm off) I was not there this time...maybe it was something I am not understanding...but nothing you said sounds bad. The fans at Henry County are usually pretty loud. The students especially. If you want to know how much it can affect someone...ask Trenton Hassell. They ALWAYS gave him heck...and it worked. Clarksville High lost 2 times to Henry County(once in the district playoffs)his senior year. The officials keep banning stuff that the students do(cow bells, fun noodles they waved, etc), but they keep finding different ways to disrupt. It is a large portion of why they win at home consistently. My best example would be a few years back Livingston Academy came to Henry County. They were ranked in the top 5 at the time, and I believe went on to the state tournament that year. The gym was packed and the fans were going crazy Livingston Acamdemy lost by 54....YES 54. It is nice to have a home court advantage...I go to a lot of away games and they rarely have half the turnout we do(some exceed it mind you). If you want loud and typically rowdy fans...go to a small 1A school's gym. Perry County for example...you will see rowdy.

As for the officiating I have gotten used to it. The night before the HC fans felt the refs cost them the game against Union City. The quality of referees for high school sports just isn't that good.

Henry County is averaging almost 92 points per game this year. Granted it is only 2 games, but I never remember Henry County scoring that much in a game before...much less 2 in a row. They are a small team and Weeks feels like he has 10 good players so he rotates the heck out of them and runs the whole time. In his interview he seemed a little sheepish on the radio about coaching the way he is. He said he has NEVER ran a system like this so it will surprise a lot of people. The team is not the greatest at it thusfar...I believe they had 20+ turnovers in both games, but conversely they caused 20+ each game as well. It will be interesting to see how his new system works against a team like Dickson County that always slows it down...

i was suprised to see henry cnty beat northside? did not henry cnty play a tuff game the night before against union city that went into overtime?

i would of thought that northside would of had the edge....thinking that HC legs may be a tad tired from that overtime game.... i guess not.....

congrats to the pats...good luck on your season

I'll tell you what beat CHS and Trenton Hassell his senior year. It was a horrible call the refs made on Trenton with two mins to go in the ball game. They called a foul when it was clearly a good block, in the district tournament Henry Co did win fair but I thought they got some help from them in the reg season game which Hassell fouled out.

I, too, am surprised (and dissapointed) in the JNS result last night.... I know Henry Co is a very tough place to play, and I also definitely know what it's like for the refs to completely control a game with fouls called..... I still LOVE Jackson NS's team and potential this year. They are absolutley LOADED with talent, though not very deep. I'm glad to hear both Reginald and Richard each put in 17 points. Anyone know what Ramon Williams ended up with? Anyways, JNS is still a very, very dangerous team, even with this loss, and they have a great shot at advancing to the Substate, or even State (though the Memphis reps will be very, very tough).....