Cannon's missed foulshots allow Smyrna to escape

snowbird

Woodbury TN: AAA Smryna, perhaps weary from a close win over M'boro Oakland, over came foul trouble to edge a scrappy Cannon Co. team 57-51 in the Lions den. Cannon anxious to prove that their lopsided loss to Warren Co. was a fluke ignored "the papers", "signed letters of intent" & "rumors of giants" and came out fighting, but fell behind early before Coach Knox was able to make adjustments to compensate for Smyrna's height advantage. Cannon took lead early in the 2nd quarter on the strength of post Jessie Owens 4 treys. Cannon's quickness got Smyrna's Swader & Warner in foul trouble, but did not take advantage of their bench time to pull away, instead making "strategic" substitutions of their own. Ultimately, missed foul shots by Cannon(4 in a row, last 2 min./more than the margin of defeat)gave Smryna the hard fought victory. Congratulations Bulldogs & pardon me for allowing my Cannon biases to show in this post. COMMENTS/MY OPINION ETC.: Smyrna's Warner is a fine ballplayer/Swader really wasn't that much of a factor tonight.(Gomab. Eyyyyyyye dunno...)/Jessie Owens is without a doubt the most underated player in 7AA./Most h.s. have a "natural born" point guard come thru about every 5-6 years(so seldom, that most coaches don't even recognize them). Cannon's junior Ben Taylor is 99.99% pure point. He's a natural. He mostly plays two spot./Cannon played a great game without Brian Jones & Pedro Lara really getting into the flow offensively. If those two ever click on the same night...woe,woe unto the wicked./Comments welcome.

I was at this game as well. My thoughts are that Smyrna was probally not the better team last night but took advantage of missed Cannon free throws. Swader seemed timid on the perimeter and was not very aggressive taking the ball to the @@@@ (I'm with you on Gomab's assesment Snowbird...I dunno). I was impressed with a kid that came in off the Smyrna bench (I think his name was Swader as well #32 or#33?). He got some quality minutes in the game and his physical presence was a force on the boards. The other big kid from Smyrna (Brett ?) has a nice touch 4-6 feet from the hole. Cannon's zone D probablly was the cause of him not getting more looks from down low. Cannon mixed their defensive looks up nicely causing Smyrna trouble at times.

My thoughts - Cannon played tough last night but are an athlete or two away from being able to knock off quality AAA teams. Cannon seemed winded down the stretch and their bench play was mediocre at best. Smyrna didn't really show me that much. Lots of talent, just seemed everyone wasn't on the same page last night. I thought this game was well officiated. Consistent on both ends. Good luck to both teams as they start their seasons.

Idunk2, thanks for your comments. You saw things about as I did, so will probably be equally surprsed by the stats I saw in the Daily News Journal this a.m.. Warner had 4 rebounds, only 4(20 points I think), while Swader had 12 pts. & 12 rebounds(12 rebounds). I think these numbers fly in the face of my "wasn't really a factor" comment above. My oppologies to Gomab & good game Swader.

all the people talk about is swader this swader that. to me warner makes that team go!! there is no reason for swader to play the guard position. they need to run a double post offense and ride the back of warner. They always have a guard problem so the move is justified. Brett, you can get frustrated to easy, if you overcome that your game will increase. warner keep your head up!!! you are the best player on that team. But remember it takes a TEAM effort to win the game. :D:o

Kell44, Friday night Willson Central had no trouble with the DC girls. Dekalb easily dismantled a very weak Grundy Co. boys, but looked pretty good doing it.(outside shooting & smooth transition game missing from last year may mean we will soon be dealing with a confidant DC team) Cannon girls beat Marion Co. by 30. Should be a real good matchup between them & Wilson Central at 5:30. Marion Co. boys looked pretty good early & then just quit as Cannon ran away by 30. The 7:00 Dekalb/Marion Co. game should be pretty good. I predict a hard fougth DC win. The 8:00 Cannon/Grundy game will hardly be worth watching.(Cannon by 30)