Over-Rated Teams at Individual State

mat73557

30 minutes ago, MrBlueraider2u said:

Well technically Da Bears 1976 is correct. Cleveland is in Bradley County, so the road to state does run through Bradley County. 

I think that’s what he meant Bradley/Cleveland as a whole, but with that being said Bradley didn’t wrestle very well this weekend. I Think they might have been too happy that they won the region. Cleveland not winning region got them pumped up for the tournament.

3 hours ago, GoTNwrestling said:

Yes DB did, but they also went to tourneys that helped their kids as well and not go 1-4 or 0-5. Some teams are not equipped to take a beating every weekend or even some weekends as these are kids. The coach who coaches that team has to make those decisions to best prepare their team for the end of the season and manage his/her kids accordingly. Every make up of a team is different and that’s the responsibility of the coach to determine what’s best for them and how to prepare the elite ones for states but also the newbies to prepare to try to even qualify for states. There is a fine line, and I’m not sure one size fits all here. I believe Science Hill’s tourney is very tough and they did pretty well. They also wrestled Bradley in a dual as well. Not defending any team or coach here, but it’s a balancing act you have to decide as the coach. It would be easy if ALL kids on the team are in the same boat talent and technical wise, but they never are. 

Excellent points made here

11 hours ago, mat73557 said:

Well well well....

AAA Team Scores:

1    Cleveland     247.0
2    Wilson Central     188.0
3    Blackman     156.0
4    Bradley Central     148.0
5    Dobyns Bennett     124.5
6    Science Hill     115.5
7    Clarksville     90.5
8    Rossview     90.0
9    Brentwood     87.0
9    Oakland     87.0

I can't wait to hear from DaBears1976 all about how the road to state runs through Bradley County, how many times out of 10 that Bradley would win, how much everybody else sucks and all that other jive.  Maybe next time, you will resist the urge to jump on your keyboard and try to make your program look good by running someone else's down.

On 2/9/2020 at 4:21 PM, DaBears1976 said:

Blackman was the most overated from what everyone was saying about them. Would be in the finals if they was on the other side of the  bracket. Got spanked by Cleveland and Bradley. Wasn't even close. Bradley is better than what most thinks or what they showed against Wilson. Believe Bradley wins 2 out of 3 against Wilson. Independence showed a good team. 

In all seriousness, congrats to Coach Smith and his six Bradley State medalists.  Bradley is always tough, and probably always will be.   I am gonna bask in the glory of 3rd place for a while longer now thanks.

The results of peaking at the right time and lots of blood sweat and tears in the practice room and good balanced competition during the season and fine families stoppering their wrestlers all year...

IMO, the Nolensville & Oakland matches during the season were clear spring boards to where Blackman needed to be.

Kudos!!!!!

25 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

Lol So how are you supposed to get better and improve your program? What your saying is just running from competition. Coaches enter tournaments all the time knowing that they won’t win but they want to get better and get quality matches, so when they do get on the big stage they are prepared. 

How do you figure? You will go to 10 nationally recognized tourneys for two or three of your kids and let your other kids suffer and quit? I said you do tough tourneys for the elite kids and do some dual tourneys so there are multiple matches for all kids and then have easier tourneys so your rookies or not as elite wrestlers get more matches and your elite kids still get the 1-2 tough matches. Like I said it’s a balancing act. Not sure I would want to have only 2-3 kids on my team because the others got tired of losing in the first min. of every match. Not sure that would be “enjoyable, and worth it” for those not as talented kids. You have to prepare all your kids and get them better. It can’t always just be about your best kids or your program will be run into the ground. Not everyone is equipped as Cleveland, Bradley, Baylor, etc. so how you all run things will be different until others can have 7-10 years of experience coming into high school. Not everyone has feeders like Higher Calling so you have to take that into consideration. As you know, tourneys are usually won in the CONSOLATION bracket, therefore your elites do their thing and win it all while you not as “elite” kids have to be prepared to be better and run through consolations. If you don’t prepare the ones that aren’t elite you probably won’t win the tourney. Not saying coaches not enter tourneys know they won’t win, they just don’t enter them every weekend to help ALL kids. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, GoTNwrestling said:

How do you figure? You will go to 10 nationally recognized tourneys for two or three of your kids and let your other kids suffer and quit? I said you do tough tourneys for the elite kids and do some dual tourneys so there are multiple matches for all kids and then have easier tourneys so your rookies or not as elite wrestlers get more matches and your elite kids still get the 1-2 tough matches. Like I said it’s a balancing act. Not sure I would want to have only 2-3 kids on my team because the others got tired of losing in the first min. of every match. Not sure that would be “enjoyable, and worth it” for those not as talented kids. You have to prepare all your kids and get them better. It can’t always just be about your best kids or your program will be run into the ground. Not everyone is equipped as Cleveland, Bradley, Baylor, etc. so how you all run things will be different until others can have 7-10 years of experience coming into high school. Not everyone has feeders like Higher Calling so you have to take that into consideration. As you know, tourneys are usually won in the CONSOLATION bracket, therefore your elites do their thing and win it all while you not as “elite” kids have to be prepared to be better and run through consolations. If you don’t prepare the ones that aren’t elite you probably won’t win the tourney. Not saying coaches not enter tourneys know they won’t win, they just don’t enter them every weekend to help ALL kids. 

I’m not taking about going to national tournaments. I’m talking about going to tough tournaments in the state of Tennessee. If your not even wrestling In your own states toughest competition, why are you in the sport?

Look back through any of my comments, and you’ll see that I never mentioned national. I’m talking the tough competition in Tennessee. Mccallie Invit, Bradley Invit Cleveland Duals, Father Ryan Invite,  etc. it’s the tournaments like these that prepare you for February. And if your telling me that Science Hill isn’t entering these because they are afraid to hurt the wrestlers pride then maybe that’s what it takes.

Edited by fooseball95

7 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

Look back through any of my comments, and you’ll see that I never mentioned national. I’m talking the tough competition in Tennessee. Mccallie Invit, Bradley Invit Cleveland Duals, Father Ryan Invite,  etc. it’s the tournaments like these that prepare you for February. And if your telling me that Science Hill isn’t entering these because they are afraid to hurt the wrestlers pride then maybe that’s what it takes.

Once again... I am not apart of any teams and replace National for top tournaments in the state. I think you might be missing the point. You need to prepare ALL of your kids and not just the 1-2 who are better than everyone else. Like I said no one is like Cleveland, Bradley, Baylor, etc. where they all can compete at any tournament. You look at DB who was 5th in the entire tourney for AAA. They had kids who were .500. Do you think those big tough tourneys (if they went to all of them every weekend) would have helped those kids fight through the conos and qualify 14? Probably not if they are seeing 2-3 min. Of mat time each weekend. As you should know, mat time is key and 2-3 min. of real mat time per weekend won’t cut it. They have to see progress and I don’t think any kid would see well I lasted 1:15 with this rather than :45 seconds as progress. They have to see their hand raised. Once again not pointing at SH or DB (even though I told you DB did the same thing) and had two state champs and one runner-up so I think they were pretty prepared. 

1 minute ago, GoTNwrestling said:

Once again... I am not apart of any teams and replace National for top tournaments in the state. I think you might be missing the point. You need to prepare ALL of your kids and not just the 1-2 who are better than everyone else. Like I said no one is like Cleveland, Bradley, Baylor, etc. where they all can compete at any tournament. You look at DB who was 5th in the entire tourney for AAA. They had kids who were .500. Do you think those big tough tourneys (if they went to all of them every weekend) would have helped those kids fight through the conos and qualify 14? Probably not if they are seeing 2-3 min. Of mat time each weekend. As you should know, mat time is key and 2-3 min. of real mat time per weekend won’t cut it. They have to see progress and I don’t think any kid would see well I lasted 1:15 with this rather than :45 seconds as progress. They have to see their hand raised. Once again not pointing at SH or DB (even though I told you DB did the same thing) and had two state champs and one runner-up so I think they were pretty prepared. 

So only enter competition where You’re gonna get good results? That’s the only thing I’m getting from this. SH is top 10 in the state. We aren’t talking about a program thats trying to take off: 

18 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

So only enter competition where You’re gonna get good results? That’s the only thing I’m getting from this. SH is top 10 in the state. We aren’t talking about a program thats trying to take off: 

The I think you need to re-read my comments and don’t look at it from Cleveland but look at it from the perspective of 98% of the teams in the state. If you were a coach and you told your 20 kids, we have two elite kids. You other 18 are not elite, so all of our tourneys are going to be geared to those two kids while you other 18 kids will learn with getting your heads beat in. How do you think those KIDS will feel about that? Even if you don’t say it, actions speak louder than words. The tourneys you go to sends them a message if you like it or not. I never said to go to only tourneys they do well in. I said some tough, some duals and some easier. Their own tourney, DB’s own tourney is tough, GIT (Greeneville),  McCallie’s is tough (insert school here) I think they go to out of state tourneys as well that are good and they should be fine too. I guarantee 98% of teams do exactly what I’ve told you from a state level because they don’t have 10-14 elite kids on their team. Once again, if you aren’t in the room and working with the kids everyday, it isn’t our call. All coaches nationwide have to determine what is best for their team and I would choose to support them in their decisions as they KNOW every kid and their mental and physical abilities. Not sure anyone can think they can win if they are obliterated every time they step on the mat but just my two cents. Please note in my previous comment DB was 5TH and had one or two guys with .500 records and some before .500 before they QUALIFIED for the state tourney. 

Edited by GoTNwrestling