BigPun19

Robert O'Kelley vs. Tony Harris was a battle

Vincent Yarbrough

C.J. Black was powerful

Kirk Haston year in and year out

Kenny Walker from Springfield,,,,dunk after dunk

Trey Pearson lit it up

Joseph Amonett from Pickett Co. ,,,,solid as they come

i could go on and on ,,,,, so many ,,,, the state tournament at the murphy center at the Boro is what high school basketball is all about,,,, i know alot of you think that your team is the best, but when your team is eliminated, go and watch why your team isn't in this action. I know some teams come from weak districts, go through weak regions, and play a sub-par team in sub-state, but all in all these are the best teams with the best players that will bring it to you and beat your brains in. Go and watch when it comes to town. It is exciting. The gym is perfect for it, and the fans come flocking in bringing the noise with them. Check it out and find out why this is the most exciting state tourney action in Tennessee.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to find my program to give the exact numbers, as it has been a while, but in 1991 (i think) when OC was down by about 30 to Gallatin after the first quarter and set all kinds of shooting records to come back and win. Of course Science Hill beat them badly the next night, but Denver Whitbey had an increadible night to bring his team back.

Amonett was impressive both times I saw him...his Pickett County team wore out what I considered a very good Powell Valley team in the semis before thrashing Adamsville.

Vince was a man among boys when he played...you could tell that Del was simply an ace in the hole so O'Neill could land Vince because he only played one game out of three worthy of SEC play and that was in the championship game.

The best game I saw was in 1998; the Class A championship.

Ezell over Temple in 2 OTs 44-42. Talk about a stout defensive squad, Temple was able to limit Shirey from doing too much damage.

The best team effort I saw was Sweetwater when they won in 1994. They got Booker T. Washington in the semis and Davey Upton (6-5) had to guard Lorenzen Wright (7-0)...Upton kept him out of the paint because he had about 45-50 pounds on him...well maybe not that much but he was thicker than the rail-thin Wright...the game with Giles County was anti-climactic.

Posted by BigPun19:

Robert O'Kelley vs. Tony Harris was a battle

Vincent Yarbrough

C.J. Black was powerful

Kirk Haston year in and year out

Kenny Walker from Springfield,,,,dunk after dunk

Trey Pearson lit it up

Joseph Amonett from Pickett Co. ,,,,solid as they come

i could go on and on ,,,,, so many ,,,, the state tournament at the murphy center at the Boro is what high school basketball is all about,,,, i know alot of you think that your team is the best, but when your team is eliminated, go and watch why your team isn't in this action. I know some teams come from weak districts, go through weak regions, and play a sub-par team in sub-state, but all in all these are the best teams with the best players that will bring it to you and beat your brains in. Go and watch when it comes to town. It is exciting. The gym is perfect for it, and the fans come flocking in bringing the noise with them. Check it out and find out why this is the most exciting state tourney action in Tennessee.

For a great comeback and individual performance I would have to go with Mike Rhodes of Perry County in 1977 against Knox Catholic in the semi-finals. Catholic had a 12 point lead with just under 4:00 to go in the game. Dave Rhodes (Mike's bro and the coach) called timeout and spent most of the time talking to Mike. Mike had been in the bed with 102 degree fever, I believe. The Vikings proceeeded to go on a 19-0 run with Rhodes scoring 17 and getting the assist on the other bucket. Rhodes wound up with 48 points, 35 in the second half and 21 in the final quarter (I think.) All of these were state tournament records at the time. Their finals win against Bolton was tame, by comparison. Veteran sportscaster Paul Eels called this the greatest basketball performance he had ever seen. Rhodes went on the have a 1,000+ point career at Vandy. His son now plays for Perry County.

Guest BrokenAnkle

I don't know if Woods had an ACL injury or not his senior year, but I saw the state tournament, and he was incredible. The championship game, Carver vs Austin-East was the best highschool game I've ever seen. Woods hit a 3 to send the game into overtime. He won MVP honors. I knew he was a special player, and couldn't believe he wasnt going to a big school (just thought he probably had poor grades). I was thrilled to see him picked in the first round of this past draft. Just another name to add to the list of great players TN has produced.

....Jermaine Copeland's performance in the Boro break all kinds of scoring records. That's the best performance ever put on that I have witnessed.

OCrebel...You talking about when Obion Co. had the black headed PG (sorry don't know names) that took two steps inside of half court and was draining 3's. That was a great game too.

[Edited by bigreid on 11-30-02 5:56A]

I'm not just saying this because I was on the Clarksville state Tournament team (1997) vs Vincent Yarbrough's Cleveland team but after that game the media and that was several people told us that Trenton Hassell(Currently with the Chicago Bulls) had put on the best performance in state tournanment history. That was based on his JR year as well which he battled Tony Harris and the Memphis East Mustangs. Although Clarksville did lose both times in the first round Trenton Hassell played his butt off in both games averaging like 30 points in two years at state, along with maybe 12 rebounds and 5 assist.

Others I would have to mention would be Ron Mercer, Anfrenee Hardaway, Tony Delk, David Vaugh, and Vincent Yarbrough. Robery O'Kelly and Tony Harris, CJ Black and Charles Hathaway.