DII A - East: Is there a changing of the guard

CougarDadx2

9 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

Yep - the west is strong for sure.

I would be willing to say that even the teams from the West that did not make the playoffs last season would have beaten several of the teams that qualified for the playoffs from the East. It's too bad we don't have any East versus West competition during the regular season. Sadly, time and travel costs would make that not likely. Then you include the fact that many D2-A teams fans do not travel well would make the games not very profitable for the home teams.

16 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I would be willing to say that even the teams from the West that did not make the playoffs last season would have beaten several of the teams that qualified for the playoffs from the East. It's too bad we don't have any East versus West competition during the regular season. Sadly, time and travel costs would make that not likely. Then you include the fact that many D2-A teams fans do not travel well would make the games not very profitable for the home teams.

There is really no reason not to have some competition between the two divisions - MTCS traveling to Howard this week, DA, Columbia Academy, Nashville Christian, Clarksville Academy are all closer, and I dare say would have traveled better last year. 10 schools out of the two Divisions are in the "middle Tennessee" cooridor, and within an hour and a half of each other. Iroically CA and MTCS play every year from K - 8, and then stop at HS?

I think the biggest reason for lack of inter-play is there are 9 teams in the West region, so the schedule is nearly full already. With the teams all so scattered, the schools that are actually out West are unlikely to fill their 2 empty holes with another DII-A opponent 3-5 hours away. I can’t speak for the middle TN teams. Were it not for politics, common sense would have the class divided into 3 regions like in every other sport, leaving some breathing room in the schedule. 

1 hour ago, Bellsburg2 said:

I think the biggest reason for lack of inter-play is there are 9 teams in the West region, so the schedule is nearly full already. With the teams all so scattered, the schools that are actually out West are unlikely to fill their 2 empty holes with another DII-A opponent 3-5 hours away. I can’t speak for the middle TN teams. Were it not for politics, common sense would have the class divided into 3 regions like in every other sport, leaving some breathing room in the schedule. 

I do not disagree with this statement. It is pretty apparent that the TSSAA could care less about D2 teams and especially D2 class a teams. Otherwise, you would not get a two region set up with one team having eight teams and the other team having nine teams. This boondoggle simply shows a lack of effort by the TSSAA to treat D2 class a teams in a fair manner. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

You said the same thing last year and you were proven wrong. I suspect the same thing will happen this year. 

4 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

You said the same thing last year and you were proven wrong. I suspect the same thing will happen this year. 

Please, how was I proven wrong. As I recall, it was two teams from the West who played for the state championship. Every one of the East teams was watching it on TV. I will stand on my statement that I believe that teams that did not make the playoffs from the West last year could have beaten the teams from the east who did make the playoffs last season. Sadly we'll never know but you sir have in no way rebutted that statement and you have no way rebutted My statement on how I think it will go this season.

The top four in the east if all healthy and able to play would compete very well against the top four from the west. Each of the East’s top four have a lot of size and speed to be formidable. The very young OL/DL’s last year are now experienced, bigger, and stronger. They won’t be pushed around by anyone. 

Again, the key is health and being eligible to play with all these restrictions placed on the kids. 

• 3 weeks later...