William Blount at Elizabethton

Governm

49 minutes ago, strongx said:

Nothing wrong with one series in the 2nd half to “set the tone”. What was the halftime score? Did the 2nd team play the last half of the 2nd qtr? Or were they scoring all they could with the starters as the first half wrapped up. Thx for the compliment but I don’t coach anymore-just pay the taxes that pays the coaches.

The starters played first half and first possessions of second half.  Score was 49-0 at half.  I’m not a coach by any means and I’m sure it’s hard to make those decisions.  I’ve often thought about it on the other side,  if I’m a coach getting my brains beat out,  would I keep starters in?  WB got the ball to start the 3rd and they brought out starters as usual.  We have always typically let the 1s take the first possession of 2nd half on both sides of the ball.  You’ll also see a couple starters mixed in on defense to kind of be on field coaches themselves to keep kids in position.  I really don’t think it was trying to run the score up mentality though.  JMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I've never understood the argument that you should pull your starters because of injury risk. Like there's no risk in a close game. I know, I know, don't explain it to me. But if you can't leave your starters in for three quarters the other team should of just stayed at home. If you want to know what running up the score looks like just look at the Greeneville-Sullivan Central game last night. Starters in or not thats flat out running up the score. 

I don't even care about the concept of running up the score. I got past that years ago. A big part of the WB experience is getting blasted at least a few times a year. It's just that it doesn't make sense to have your stud qb in the game running around, hurdling guys, and dodging sacks when the game is beyond over. Sure, there is always a risk for injury. But in a close game, you are trying to win the game. What are you trying to accomplish up 49-0 with a running clock? It just seems like a needless risk. 

And you are 100% correct. We should have stayed home. We have a long tradition of laying eggs in fall break games. Someone said the Govs were going to "Lay Down Sally" and played that song yesterday afternoon. It was funny, but it ended up being prophetic.

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

10 minutes ago, BetsyCyclones16 said:

The starters played first half and first possessions of second half.  Score was 49-0 at half.  I’m not a coach by any means and I’m sure it’s hard to make those decisions.  I’ve often thought about it on the other side,  if I’m a coach getting my brains beat out,  would I keep starters in?  WB got the ball to start the 3rd and they brought out starters as usual.  We have always typically let the 1s take the first possession of 2nd half on both sides of the ball.  You’ll also see a couple starters mixed in on defense to kind of be on field coaches themselves to keep kids in position.  I really don’t think it was trying to run the score up mentality though.  JMO

We brought in our backup QB and let him play the whole second half. Most of our starters are young. The receiver who had our highlight play of the game is a sophomore.

1 hour ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

We brought in our backup QB and let him play the whole second half. Most of our starters are young. The receiver who had our highlight play of the game is a sophomore.

Unless your backup is named Clemmer and the relative of the starter he definitely started the 2nd half.  Game is up on YouTube if you need to see it all again.

3 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

It is understandable. They look almost identical to one another out on the field and one wears #16 and the other one wears #15.

Yeah I had no idea.  On the bright side I believe the younger showed some potential and threw a decent ball so the future looks better.  Good luck on the rest of the year.  I wouldn’t put much stock in that game as we were hitting on all cylinders and I’m not sure there’s a team in 4a that could have beat us when we play like that.

1 minute ago, BetsyCyclones16 said:

Yeah I had no idea.  On the bright side I believe the younger showed some potential and threw a decent ball so the future looks better.  Good luck on the rest of the year.  I wouldn’t put much stock in that game as we were hitting on all cylinders and I’m not sure there’s a team in 4a that could have beat us when we play like that.

Thanks. I don't see anyone beating you guys and we played awful. I knew it was over when we kept getting stupid penalties early in the game.