William Blount at Elizabethton

Governm

What was the point of Elizabethton having their starters out on the field late in the 3rd quarter with a running clock and a 49-0 lead? The Cyclones have a state championship caliber squad. It makes no sense to needlessly put your starters out there and risk injuries like that.

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

13 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

What was the point of Elizabethton having their starters out on the field late in the 3rd quarter with a running clock and a 49-0 lead? The Cyclones have a state championship caliber squad. It makes no sense to needlessly put your starters out there and risk injuries like that.

I'll take a shot in the dark.I doubt there was anything like just trying to run up the score but it's always a good question and more so when a key player gets hurt in a game like this.With this crazy year,any game could be any players last and some coaches may just want to reward their best and let them do what they love.All that said,I remember the Devils playing in a state championship game and it was all of our wishes to run up the score on that team for some of their actions.

14 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

I'll take a shot in the dark.I doubt there was anything like just trying to run up the score but it's always a good question and more so when a key player gets hurt in a game like this.With this crazy year,any game could be any players last and some coaches may just want to reward their best and let them do what they love.All that said,I remember the Devils playing in a state championship game and it was all of our wishes to run up the score on that team for some of their actions.

Oh, I wasn't implying they were trying to run up the score. It was just odd. WB never even got off the bus tonight. The game was over in the first quarter.

2 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Oh, I wasn't implying they were trying to run up the score. It was just odd. WB never even got off the bus tonight. The game was over in the first quarter.

Didn't think you were but it is always something I wonder about as well.Sometimes a really good team doesn't get prepared for four full quarters and the playoffs bite them.That's when you see coaches leaving the starters in to make sure they are ready for those harder games.If it's the pro's and people are paying hundreds or even thousands to watch the stars,that's a different deal completely.

6 hours ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Fighton the coach said in the post game interview that since next week is a covid win, and that they won’t take the field again until they play at Greeneville, he wanted more “reps” for his team. Now I’m not agreeing with him but that was his reasoning. I was hoping to find another game possibly but that’s his decision.   High school seasons are so brief anyway to not play all the games you can. Glad WB and Betsy had an injury free game. 

7 hours ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

When I have asked similar questions in the past, I have been told it’s because those starters practiced hard all week and “deserve” to play more than just a half. 

IMO thats BS. It’s more likely a coach that doesn’t know how to win, and it’s because of coaches like that who don’t give a darn about sportsmanship that the running clock was started in the first place. 

1 hour ago, strongx said:

When I have asked similar questions in the past, I have been told it’s because those starters practiced hard all week and “deserve” to play more than just a half. 

IMO thats BS. It’s more likely a coach that doesn’t know how to win, and it’s because of coaches like that who don’t give a darn about sportsmanship that the running clock was started in the first place. 

He has always let the starters play the first possession of the second half.  You can say whatever you want that he doesn’t know how to win or whatever blah blah.  The fact that it was late in 2nd half was bc WB got the ball to start the half and finally moved the ball past midfield only to crap the bed again with a running clock.  It is what it is, but I’m sure you’re the best “coach” on the message boards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

I've never understood the argument that you should pull your starters because of injury risk. Like there's no risk in a close game. I know, I know, don't explain it to me. But if you can't leave your starters in for three quarters the other team should of just stayed at home. If you want to know what running up the score looks like just look at the Greeneville-Sullivan Central game last night. Starters in or not thats flat out running up the score. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BetsyCyclones16 said:

He has always let the starters play the first possession of the second half.  You can say whatever you want that he doesn’t know how to win or whatever blah blah.  The fact that it was late in 2nd half was bc WB got the ball to start the half and finally moved the ball past midfield only to crap the bed again with a running clock.  It is what it is, but I’m sure you’re the best “coach” on the message boards.

Nothing wrong with one series in the 2nd half to “set the tone”. What was the halftime score? Did the 2nd team play the last half of the 2nd qtr? Or were they scoring all they could with the starters as the first half wrapped up. Thx for the compliment but I don’t coach anymore-just pay the taxes that pays the coaches.