Powell @ Walker Valley 1st Round

Rhea Co.

49 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

Walker Valley has a much improved team over last year's team. They could easily be 9-0. It should be one of the best matchups around.
Powell fans will benefit from seeing one of the biggest and best high school bands in the state.

That is true. If anything everyone will probably be entertained by WV band. They really are better than a lot of college bands I’ve seen. 

Powell has played a brutal schedule this year. We're going to find out if that has prepared them for November. Outside of East Hamilton, I'm not sure that WV has a "quality" win. Right now, they look like the top team in Region 4. Both teams can put up points, and I'm expecting a Powell-South Doyle-like game with plenty of offense.

I'm thinking the team with the least number of turnovers wins a close one.

37 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Powell has played a brutal schedule this year. We're going to find out if that has prepared them for November. Outside of East Hamilton, I'm not sure that WV has a "quality" win. Right now, they look like the top team in Region 4. Both teams can put up points, and I'm expecting a Powell-South Doyle-like game with plenty of offense.

I honestly think Powell cruises but schedules are out the window at this point. Win or go home. Strength of Schedule can only be used for so long. Time for you and Pops to let it die.

3 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

South Doyle is probably the only team Powell has played that compares to Walker Valley's firepower. Tucker Pope is exceptional, and they do not make many mistakes. They are averaging almost 42 points per game, and their defense has played lights out since they imploded in the 4th quarter against Rhea back in September. Powell very well might win this game, but they better be ready for a shootout. 

1 minute ago, guthook said:

I'm not sure what this means...

Offensively speaking, Walker Valley will at least be the second best offense Powell has seen this year. They score on anyone and can score a ton in a hurry. They have only scored under 30 once this season, and haven't given up more than 14 since they gave 31 to Rhea. Powell should win because they are more talented, but a turnover or two and Walker Valley could cause some serious problems for their title hopes.

18 minutes ago, gulloern74 said:

South Doyle is probably the only team Powell has played that compares to Walker Valley's firepower. Tucker Pope is exceptional, and they do not make many mistakes. They are averaging almost 42 points per game, and their defense has played lights out since they imploded in the 4th quarter against Rhea back in September. Powell very well might win this game, but they better be ready for a shootout. 

Offensively, I'd put Anderson County right there with SD. I think Powell knows that they aren't going to shut down an offense like WV. They just aren't good enough on the defensive line to disrupt an explosive offense like that. They've had to resort to outscoring teams, and that can be a dangerous game plan especially when turnovers/penalties come in to play.

WV is a very good team, no question. But outside of East Hamilton, WV hasn't played anyone since that Rhea County debacle.

Edited by osunut2

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Offensively, I'd put Anderson County right there with SD. I think Powell knows that they aren't going to shut down an offense like WV. They just aren't good enough on the defensive line to disrupt an explosive offense like that. They've had to resort to outscoring teams, and that can be a dangerous game plan especially when turnovers/penalties come in to play.

WV is a very good team, no question. But outside of East Hamilton, WV hasn't played anyone since that Rhea County debacle.

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Then Powell obviously wins.  I guess it's the "Low-powered" offensive teams like Oak Ridge and West they need to be afeered of.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Very true. Just an offensive guy myself and have been intrigued with Walker Valley's offense this season. Best of luck to Powell! I am nervous to see any of the top 3 from that Region 3 in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, guthook said:

Then Powell obviously wins.  I guess it's the "Low-powered" offensive teams like Oak Ridge and West they need to be afeered of.

Never said West or Oak Ridge were low powered offenses. They are both great in their own right, and West should represent the East in Cookeville. However, I really think Walker Valley is poised to cause some issues in the playoffs. Even if they lose a tight one to Powell, it will show that Region 4 is not just a doormat for Region 3 and maybe some on here will respect WV. I am not a Mustang fan by any means, but I can appreciate a solid team when I see one.