Powell @ Walker Valley 1st Round

Rhea Co.

5 minutes ago, guthook said:

Well Powell is never over-confident, so watch out...

All teams suffer from over-confidence at times and can be influenced by their fan base into thinking ... piece of cake.  Just reading through this ... I see most folks are saying this should be a piece of cake for Powell.  I doubt the football team is oblivious to that thought.

49 minutes ago, TNVolFan2000 said:

All teams suffer from over-confidence at times and can be influenced by their fan base into thinking ... piece of cake.  Just reading through this ... I see most folks are saying this should be a piece of cake for Powell.  I doubt the football team is oblivious to that thought.

Not likely.  They generally don't go out of Knox County to do games at locations where they don't cover the home school.  

Besides, once the playoffs begin there is a fee to be paid to the TSSAA for doing the games, and DCM hasn't been able to foot that bill financially in the past.  Some schools in Knox County where they do the games regularly have footed that bill for them, but with the limited ticket sale revenue that programs have been able to generate this year because of the pandemic I seriously doubt that too many programs are in a financial position to do that in 2020,  

49 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

Not sure how many Powell fans are on here exactly. I know nut, HTV, and Pops. Most of the folks in this thread are not Powell fans tho. 

I haven't seen as much as one play on video of Walker Valley, so I really can't tell much about them.  Looking at the schedule I see that they beat a decent East Hamilton team, and played Bradley Central and Rhea County close, both on the road, which is all I have to go by.  

Powell has been really inconsistent since about mid season on.  They are still very explosive offensively, but most inconsistent on the defensive side of the ball.  Opposing defenses have a book on the young sophomore QB, now, and are bringing more pressure.  The kid is an awesome talent, but he's still a young QB.  His upside is that he can pull it down and get yards.  

All of that said, I believe Powell will score points this week.  Walker Valley gave up points against the aforementioned two teams that they lost close games to, and I have seen those two teams quite a bit on video.  Powell's offense is every bit as good as those two teams, if not better, from what I observe.  

Powell is going to score unless they pull a turnover fest like they did in the first half at Oak Ridge.  I'd be surprised if they don't win by a couple of scores.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TNVolFan2000 said:

Definitely not a piece of cake, in my book. It's not like Powell ended up drawing Soddy or LC. Everyone knew how big the Oak Ridge game would be because the loser was going to end up getting this really talented WV team on the road to open the playoffs. Powell still has a lot to prove, thanks in part to that inconsistency that HTV mentioned, and I think Matt Lowe is well aware of the challenge that lies before them. I would be shocked if anyone close to this program is taking WV lightly.

I think Powell wins a close one, much like last week's game against South Doyle.

30 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Definitely not a piece of cake, in my book. It's not like Powell ended up drawing Soddy or LC. Everyone knew how big the Oak Ridge game would be because the loser was going to end up getting this really talented WV team on the road to open the playoffs. Powell still has a lot to prove, thanks in part to that inconsistency that HTV mentioned, and I think Matt Lowe is well aware of the challenge that lies before them. I would be shocked if anyone close to this program is taking WV lightly.

I think Powell wins a close one, much like last week's game against South Doyle.

As long as I have known Matt Lowe, I've never known him to allow his coaching staff or team to take anybody lightly.  He gets his team prepared as well as any coach I have ever been around, and I've been around some really good ones.