Covington @ Munford - 8/19/21

CHARGERFAN

Well, the final score tonight was

Covington 41

Munford 8

Coach Kirby surprised us by starting Tanner Stewart at QB. He came out in a T-formation with Jaylen Fayne, Jamarion Dowell, and freshman Skylan Smith at running back. As expected, the Chargers ran the ball very effectively. I’ll publish rushing stats here when I can get them. Dowell had a ton of yards, and so did the other backs. 

I was impressed.

Edited by CHARGERFAN
  • Like 1

Official stats from last night's game include:

Covington had 50 rushes for 468 yards. Tanner Stewart was 1 for 2 passing - 23 yards and a TD (to Jalen Fayne).

Individual rushing stats:

Jamarion Dowell - 23 for 202 yards, 2 TDs

Jalen Fayne - 10 for 120 yards, 1 rush TD

Skylan Smith 8 for 64 yards

Anthony Mason 4 for 58, 1 TD

On defense, the Chargers held Munford to 146 total yards. The Chargers had 22 first downs to 10 for Munford

Edited by CHARGERFAN

10 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Can’t wait for that Haywood vs Covington matchup 

I like the fact that Covington and Haywood have resumed playing each other.  This year, I'm glad it's late in the season. That gives us a chance to jell and get some new players acclimated before our game. Stewart started his first game at QB last night and did well, but I'm still glad that he will get some reps under his belt before we meet.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I like the fact that Covington and Haywood have resumed playing each other.  This year, I'm glad it's late in the season. That gives us a chance to jell and get some new players acclimated before our game. Stewart started his first game at QB last night and did well, but I'm still glad that he will get some reps under his belt before we meet.

Our sophmore QB made his first start in the jamboree against Henry County, he was sacked twice but was impressive going 9/12 for 235 and 2 tds. He’s gonna be a stud with time 

20 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Our sophmore QB made his first start in the jamboree against Henry County, he was sacked twice but was impressive going 9/12 for 235 and 2 tds. He’s gonna be a stud with time 

Sounds like Covington also needs time to solidify our pass defense before we play. Y’all passed 12 times in a jamboree. We may not pass that much all season.

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Y’all are gonna be a force in 7-4A. Milan and SGC had better be ready when they face you. My farm is over half in Haywood, and my dad was a Haywood grad, so I like the Tomcats, even though they are rivals.

Y'all should have jumped up to 4A and joined the party! Can you imagine what kind of battle we would have with Covington, Haywood, Milan, and SGC in the same district.