Volunteer at Dobyns-Bennett August 27

TribalEmpire

Game one out of the way.  D-B still has a lot of work to do to be considered a contender to the Hilltoppers or possibly even West Ridge.

Speaking of West Ridge, Volunteer is coming off a spanking to the new Wolves on the prowl.

Volunteer likes to air it out, so I expect they get at least 2 scores on the suspect Tribe pass defense before 48 minutes is played next Friday in the friendly confines of JFJ.  I'll go with a final of 42-14 Tribe to get to 2-0 before more challenging opponents come a'callin.

9 hours ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

Game one out of the way.  D-B still has a lot of work to do to be considered a contender to the Hilltoppers or possibly even West Ridge.

Speaking of West Ridge, Volunteer is coming off a spanking to the new Wolves on the prowl.

Volunteer likes to air it out, so I expect they get at least 2 scores on the suspect Tribe pass defense before 48 minutes is played next Friday in the friendly confines of JFJ.  I'll go with a final of 42-14 Tribe to get to 2-0 before more challenging opponents come a'callin.

I agree with your score prediction except that will be the halftime score

I thought DB settled in a little after getting lost in coverage a few times last night.Kicking game was huge for the Tribe.I aslo watched volunteer and immediately thought that DB will have to do what WR done or get Burt like WR did a few times and that is put a lot of pressure on their QB.If DB can do that,the old Indian coaching  for Volunteer will be pizzed again at the half and the old Volunteer boy will be happy at the half on the DB sideline heading for victory when the smoke clears. 

43 minutes ago, BatmanDB said:

I thought DB settled in a little after getting lost in coverage a few times last night.Kicking game was huge for the Tribe.I aslo watched volunteer and immediately thought that DB will have to do what WR done or get Burt like WR did a few times and that is put a lot of pressure on their QB.If DB can do that,the old Indian coaching  for Volunteer will be pizzed again at the half and the old Volunteer boy will be happy at the half on the DB sideline heading for victory when the smoke clears. 

You are 100% correct. It's all about DB getting in the QB's face. Volunteer has a good QB and and a guy or two that can get open. Well, they'll be open. There was one play that sticks out to me from the Vol-WR game last night. When the Vol. quarterback threw the interception and WR ran it back for a TD. Looked to me like the QB could of made a tackle there but instead he was running down field looking back at his teammates with his arms out. That was not a good look. Could be easy to get him frustrated. 

I know it was the first game and DB has a young inexperienced team. Tennessee High is decent and I guess DB was playing it safe somewhat. I just hope they have more weapons on offense than what they showed last night. I see four teams on the schedule that could put 30+ points on the board. DB needs to be able to counter on offense. Need to get the ball in Gillespie's hands 10+ times a game. Two touches ain't gonna' cut it. That's ridiculous. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

D-B will name the score on Volunteer. Last night went about the way I thought it would. As Batman said, the kicking game was huge as DB gave THS a long field for most of the night, and got 7 points off the botched punt snap in the end zone that resulted in the THS punter kicking a really low, short line drive that was returned for a TD. They were able to get good pressure on the QB, which was a good thing because THS had guys running open much of the evening. 

You DB guys are concerned about this game.... seriously?

2014: DB 62-7
2013: DB 48-6
2012: DB 43-0
2011: DB 63-0
2010: DB 42-0
2009: DB 37-0
1994: DB 55-8
1993: DB 49-7
1992: DB 28-18
1991: DB 31-8
1990: DB 45-12
1989: DB 48-0
1988: DB 28-0
1987: DB 41-18
1986: DB 43-16
1985: Volunteer 23-10
1984: DB 21-0
1983: DB 26-14
1982: Volunteer 13-9
1981: Volunteer 14-0

On 8/21/2021 at 12:38 AM, SWVAHavokFan said:

Must be a boring time if you post a Volunteer game thread.

• Sad 1

On 8/21/2021 at 5:46 PM, blazer1set said:

You DB guys are concerned about this game.... seriously?

2014: DB 62-7
2013: DB 48-6
2012: DB 43-0
2011: DB 63-0
2010: DB 42-0
2009: DB 37-0
1994: DB 55-8
1993: DB 49-7
1992: DB 28-18
1991: DB 31-8
1990: DB 45-12
1989: DB 48-0
1988: DB 28-0
1987: DB 41-18
1986: DB 43-16
1985: Volunteer 23-10
1984: DB 21-0
1983: DB 26-14
1982: Volunteer 13-9
1981: Volunteer 14-0

I'm 99.99999 percent sure that Volunteer fans won't have to worry about losing their coach to DB, like when  coach Watson beat the Indians four decades ago.

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

56-14 DB. That's all the analysis needed for this game. 

Just judging from the fact that DB has such a young team and after seeing them play against a way down Tennessee High team I don't see DB scoring in the 50's in any game this year. I guess their playing it close to the vest to cut down on mistakes but the offense looked predictable and boring against Tn. High.  The 6'6 quarterback has a good arm but sometimes has a little trouble finding the receiver. He's not very mobile and the O-line is young and still learning. As soon as DB goes up against a team with a good D-line their going to be in big trouble. Best be getting that #2 QB some playing time. He's mobile and can be a threat to run. Would keep the defense honest. 

As for Volunteer they could surprise DB Friday night.  They looked fairly good against WR at times. The QB is good and has a couple of guys that can catch. And I'm 100% sure they'll be running wide open all night. If DB can't get a lot of pressure on him up front he will have a big night.  I think it will be a 30-14 or 30-21 type of game.