Willis|Ward 1A Mr. Football

Chakra20

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care about Willis, but Healy deserved it more then Ward did. Boyd shut Ward down in the preseason. Healy has proven himself by putting up big numbers against big schools unlike Ward who played smaller schools and was put out in I think it was the second round.

very well said Link. Compare the two posts before yours. robjim is from CPA and is congratulating Jonathon while the prior post is a Boyd man and preaching about how everyone else in the state of Tennessee is wrong. THEN they have the nerve to ask the question.....why is everyone pulling for CPA Friday? Congratulations Jonathon AND Patrick. OBVIOUSLY the most deserving candidates won out. Kick em hard Friday CPA!!!!!

T

Don't have dog in this one but..

Ward qb'd his team to 7 wins over losing teams and 4 winning (barely) teams. The fifth winning team (CPA) hammered 'em. I know Ward doesn't set the schedule but it was particularly weak.

All the wins were against DI A teams.

Healy qb's his team to 10 wins over winning teams including two DI AAAA teams. Only 3 teams on schedule had losing record. Only loss was to Ezell.

Ward is probably a good qb but how cam you tell based on this year's competition? I'm sure he has great stats which the selectors looked at but they were earned against some lousy competition.

can healy match the production ward gets on defense? if he can then you have an arguement about healy but if not, well you are out of luck. the ward kid can flat out play, i have seen film of him, he can dominate a game on offense and defense. i know healy sin't upset either that he didn't get the award. he rather be in the boro friday night than sitting at home like ward is doing. so healy might get to take home some of his own hardware friday afternoon if he can beat the stingy CPA defense.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it like that. I was doing several different things at that time and didn't chose the words like I probly should have. One thing that I thought and meant to put on there was that they don't need to just look at stats to make the decision. It needs to be a look at what teams the person has played and how the person did against them. If it's all weak teams, there's no reason why a quarterback shouldn't put up unbelievable numbers. I just know that Collinwood looked good going into the playoffs and then got blown out second round. Healy played against extremely good teams and had only one loss and set the city passing record very early in the season. I'm sure Ward is very deserving of the award, but I just think there's a better way to select the winner.

Congrats to Ward. I'm sure he is a good football player.

im sorry guys but some of these post are kinda silly......if healy had played behind the kinda weak offensive line that ward did.......healy would be in a nuring home on life support..........ward was also a great punter and had SEVERAL HUNDRED TACKLES NOT TO MENTION OVER 13000 YARDS OF TOTAL OFFENSE DURING HIS CAREER....i recall him playing against some pretty good teams like cpa twice, ezell harding, usj, and dca....those programs are decent....he also had good games against moore co when that program was on top.......the dude rocks but he should have been playing tailback.....that would have been unstoppable.....cause he sent a lot of tacklers back to the huddle with wobbly legs and a fuzzy head

I'm not trying to take anything away from Ward, but there are several people on this thread who have mentioned how good of a punter he is and how good his defensive production is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he won Class 1A Mr. Football for backs. The fact that he punts and plays defense doesn't factor into it in any way, shape or form. Id also like to say that there were two other candidates, both of whom could have had a good argument for winning Mr. Football, so please quit trying to bring them down in your arguments.