Halls vs Knox West

edwardblake

This game will end up having huge playoff implications for both teams due to their region being pretty competitive. West opened up with a convincing win against Bearden and followed up by finding a way to win against Farragut. Halls lost a tight one to a gritty Gibbs team and handled Morristown-East fairly easily. Just curious to see what you all think about this contest, Coach Brown is one of my buddies and he seems pretty confident about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the first time Coach Cummings will be back at his old stadium?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LEFTYKNOX said:

I agree this will be a big game but I'm pretty sure Cummings came back and played West his first year at Cleveland. @HTV can you help us out with this one?

Nope, first time back to West.  Rebels have too much talent, speed, and depth for Halls.  Rebs by several trickles. 

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread for this game. Coach Cummings will have a bead on the predictable play calling at West. Halls is going to steal some possessions on defense to keep this tight. I could see West winning by 10 points and finishing the game early in the fourth quarter.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, thefox said:

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread for this game. Coach Cummings will have a bead on the predictable play calling at West. Halls is going to steal some possessions on defense to keep this tight. I could see West winning by 10 points and finishing the game early in the fourth quarter.

Are you saying Coach Brown's offense is predictable or their defense? Coach Cummings only calls offense....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

Are you saying Coach Brown's offense is predictable or their defense? Coach Cummings only calls offense....

I like Halls chances either way. The HC always has input on both ends of the program regardless of what side he calls. Nothing against your friend Coach Brown but how many times can they just run it up the gut of the defense until a strong defensive team gets wise?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, thefox said:

I like Halls chances either way. The HC always has input on both ends of the program regardless of what side he calls. Nothing against your friend Coach Brown but how many times can they just run it up the gut of the defense until a strong defensive team gets wise?

Haven't played a strong defensive team yet.  Probably won't see one this week either. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, thefox said:

Coach Cummings will have a bead on the predictable play calling at West.

How so?  Different offensive scheme, different offensive coaches at West now from when Scott was there.  As a matter of fact, pretty much everything has changed at West since then, coaches and Administration.  

And I like Scott very much as a coach and as a person, but here's my thought on the game:

If Halls couldn't go to Gibbs and win, they aren't going to go to West and win.  

And that's not a slight at Gibbs in any way.  Gibbs flat out beat them.  Have a feeling that West will, too.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, thefox said:

Nothing against your friend Coach Brown but how many times can they just run it up the gut of the defense until a strong defensive team gets wise?

Interesting.  Bearden and Farragut were both "wise" to it, but they never could stop it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

And you do it until you can't, then you adjust and do something different.  Lamar and his offensive staff aren't stupid they are "wise" to things, too.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, HTV said:

Interesting.  Bearden and Farragut were both "wise" to it, but they never could stop it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

And you do it until you can't, then you adjust and do something different.  Lamar and his offensive staff aren't stupid they are "wise" to things, too.  

This is what makes me think that Coach Brown is right to be confident. We know in this area you have to do two things to win games; run the ball and stop the other team from running the ball. West is good at both and the Red Devils are going to have a tall order Friday night. @thefox has to realize that both things can be true: Halls can be well coached and Cummings can 'have a bead' but they still have to execute on the field. From the last two games West is doing more of the exectution

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

This is what makes me think that Coach Brown is right to be confident. We know in this area you have to do two things to win games; run the ball and stop the other team from running the ball. West is good at both and the Red Devils are going to have a tall order Friday night. @thefox has to realize that both things can be true: Halls can be well coached and Cummings can 'have a bead' but they still have to execute on the field. From the last two games West is doing more of the exectution

West has to do some adjusting on defense. Giving up that many points to a Farragut team that isn't as good or deep offensively as they have been wasn't good.  Work to do there.  

But offensively they are scoring points.  That side of the ball doesn't seem to be an issue right now.