Birth of a new rivalry: West Ridge at Dobyns-Bennett

TribalEmpire

On 9/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, blazer1set said:

Everyone thought DB would be significantly down this year because of having graduated 20-something starters, but at this point they are way better than anybody thought they would be.    Now granted they have played a fairly cupcake schedule thus far but still.....         I would venture to say WR has way more incentive to win this than DB does and you can't dismiss that.               I know it's not technically South 2.0 but.... does anyone remember the very first DB/South game?       It was South's first year and I remember my father saying "DB blows them out of the water".     If I'm not mistaken DB won something like 21-14 and both teams had a long TD called back due to a penalty, but it went down to the wire.      Somebody correct this if it's wrong, that was 41 years ago....

I heard Forrest that DB wasn't going to bring the team out till the 2nd quarter.Cause DB just doesn't have any incentive to win.And I also heard DB was going to fill WR water coolers with Dr Pepper!!!

On 9/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, blazer1set said:

Everyone thought DB would be significantly down this year because of having graduated 20-something starters, but at this point they are way better than anybody thought they would be.    Now granted they have played a fairly cupcake schedule thus far but still.....         I would venture to say WR has way more incentive to win this than DB does and you can't dismiss that.               I know it's not technically South 2.0 but.... does anyone remember the very first DB/South game?       It was South's first year and I remember my father saying "DB blows them out of the water".     If I'm not mistaken DB won something like 21-14 and both teams had a long TD called back due to a penalty, but it went down to the wire.      Somebody correct this if it's wrong, that was 41 years ago....

The last part of you're post only proves you're dad is horrible at picking scores!I corrected you!

14 hours ago, 83SouthRebel said:

According to the West Ridge Facebook page, WR and DB are partnering to do a black out at J Fred Friday night to show solidarity with TN. High school. Shirts that state "We stand with TNHigh" will be sold at WR but will also be available at Gametime Sports in Kingsport. Cost of the shirt is $12 and all proceeds will go directly to the Montgomery family. FYI, I just read on the Gametime website that if you want a shirt for this Friday you must buy thru West Ridge after noon on Thursday otherwise shirts purchased at Gametime will be available Sept. 22nd. Very classy move by these two fine high schools and the entire community.

Https://montgomeryfundraiser.itemorder.com

Very classy move for sure.I didn't post on the thread about the young man for this reason .I'm not a wordsmith and wouldn't want anything I wrote to be taken in the wrong way because there is nothing more important to myself then our children on this earth. I only have heartfelt sympathy for any family going through a time like that.I truly hope that  young mans family and loved ones can find peace soon .

• Like 3

From the Johnson City Press:

West Ridge at Dobyns-Bennett: History speaks for itself in terms of the Indians’ dominance against Sullivan Central (29-3 with the Cougars winning in 1975, 1981 and 1985), Sullivan South (26-5 with the Rebels earning victories in 1981, 1982, 1984, 1991 and 1993) and Sullivan North (14-1 with the Raiders winning the first-ever meeting in overtime in 1980).

That adds up to a record of 69-9 and D-B finished it off with a 48-game winning streak against the Sullivan County schools.

But that was then, and this is now a 2,000-student school that has the numbers and resources to compete with the Indians in what should be a fierce rivalry.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/powell-invaded-tipton-stadium-with-talent/article_84874688-14c3-11ec-9351-43173a0799d3.html

There is no doubt that when you take the best athletes from three different areas ,it's probably going to be a much stronger sports program.That's not always the case and the best example I can think of is when both of DB's middle schools beat Greeneville's one middle school .Four years later,DB couldn't beat those same players at Greeneville.Holston would beat a lot of middle schools but many of those players wouldn't stay in the Central system,I look for the WR coaches to really reach out to their younger kids over the coming years and become a very strong program to contend with.

1 hour ago, BatmanDB said:

There is no doubt that when you take the best athletes from three different areas ,it's probably going to be a much stronger sports program.That's not always the case and the best example I can think of is when both of DB's middle schools beat Greeneville's one middle school .Four years later,DB couldn't beat those same players at Greeneville.Holston would beat a lot of middle schools but many of those players wouldn't stay in the Central system,I look for the WR coaches to really reach out to their younger kids over the coming years and become a very strong program to contend with.

My whole life I have seen parents from all three county school systems opt to send their children to DB because they were not satisfied with the sports programs at their schools. I’ve also seen how the nicer neighborhoods that develop within the county end up being able to send their children to DB because somehow Kingsport pulls some strings and gets city taxes from these nicer neighborhoods. Even though these newly developed neighborhoods are geographically located in the county schools zones. For years students have been pulled from the county and sent to DB as long as their parents paid city taxes. Pull up Kingsport City School zone on the internet and see how erratic Kingsport’s City limits are. The City loves getting them taxes from neighborhoods in Orebank, Crown Colony, Preston Forest, Sullivan Gardens, and neighborhoods out by the airport.It’s no wonder West Ridge had to be built. Because KCS kept pulling students from schools that once had 1500 students a piece roaming the halls. 
 Now the playing field is even. And it will be a heck of a game. West Ridge is a decent team now, but once they get to all train together at the same facility all year long, and after one four year rotation from freshman to seniors, DB will no longer be able to brag about beating small time, cup cake county schools(Wording of some DB fans) They will have to REALLY earn their bragging rights.

33 minutes ago, Gunner0331 said:

My whole life I have seen parents from all three county school systems opt to send their children to DB because they were not satisfied with the sports programs at their schools. I’ve also seen how the nicer neighborhoods that develop within the county end up being able to send their children to DB because somehow Kingsport pulls some strings and gets city taxes from these nicer neighborhoods. Even though these newly developed neighborhoods are geographically located in the county schools zones. For years students have been pulled from the county and sent to DB as long as their parents paid city taxes. Pull up Kingsport City School zone on the internet and see how erratic Kingsport’s City limits are. The City loves getting them taxes from neighborhoods in Orebank, Crown Colony, Preston Forest, Sullivan Gardens, and neighborhoods out by the airport.It’s no wonder West Ridge had to be built. Because KCS kept pulling students from schools that once had 1500 students a piece roaming the halls. 
 Now the playing field is even. And it will be a heck of a game. West Ridge is a decent team now, but once they get to all train together at the same facility all year long, and after one four year rotation from freshman to seniors, DB will no longer be able to brag about beating small time, cup cake county schools(Wording of some DB fans) They will have to REALLY earn their bragging rights.

I can tell you first hand what a great deal the city of Kingsport made Batman.First they said we are going to give you a few hundred dollars and take 15 feet of your land. I said I don't want to sale but they said it wasn't an option.Then they cut down three of my beautiful large trees at the back of my land,including a walnut tree . Then they gave me a pipe line with everyones waste running through it .Then they said I now have to pay them 2000 plus back and five times what my water bill use to be for as long as I live.I'd like to shove that pipeline up a few of those city leaders backside.

• Like 1