Who is worthy of stepping on the field with Greeneville?

ETN423

On 9/11/2021 at 12:50 PM, ETN423 said:

Oakland

Maryville

Alcoa

-

-

Alrighty then.I will not read all the comments since this has been posted but will give my own lengthy opinion.All three of these teams on any given day could take most any public school football team to the woodshed and yes that includes our very fine Devil team.Could Greeneville beat them on any given day as well, I'll say yes but either question doesn't matter this year because the Devils don't play any of them.Mainly to all the fans around the state and beyond that are not Devil fans.I love the Devils but understand that on any given day,not just the best teams around the state but with a combination of Greeneville mistakes and a fired up opponent,the Devils could be beat and had better prepare and play that way every week.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Alrighty then.I will not read all the comments since this has been posted but will give my own lengthy opinion.All three of these teams on any given day could take most any public school football team to the woodshed and yes that includes our very fine Devil team.Could Greeneville beat them on any given day as well, I'll say yes but either question doesn't matter this year because the Devils don't play any of them.Mainly to all the fans around the state and beyond that are not Devil fans.I love the Devils but understand that on any given day,not just the best teams around the state but with a combination of Greeneville mistakes and a fired up opponent,the Devils could be beat and had better prepare and play that way every week.

Obviously Alcoa is an exception, but the issue with most schools under 5A classification is depth and roster numbers when they play larger schools.  Like the saying goes, on any given day, but not having to play as many guys both ways most of the time is real bonus and advantage for the bigger schools.  

9 minutes ago, HTV said:

Obviously Alcoa is an exception, but the issue with most schools under 5A classification is depth and roster numbers when they play larger schools.  Like the saying goes, on any given day, but not having to play as many guys both ways most of the time is real bonus and advantage for the bigger schools.  

Alcoa even if  playing guys on both sides is going to be more then most schools can match because of their great talent most years.That is huge for a lot of 6A teams with big numbers but I'd still take a well conditioned player who runs a 4.5 over a fresh player who runs a 4.8 most times. No matter what class your in,you had better have a number 2 and 3 guy ready to go into a game at every position,even if you don't have great numbers.I know a guy who played on a team that had 13 players total back years ago and they had to go right side against left in practice and so on.I don't know what the outcome was but they actually played against Science Hill one year . Even back in the early years when the university of Tennessee was undefeated and unscored on in 1939,those guys played both ways.I knew one of those players  when he was an older man and  he could still whip most young guys. Maybe like a lot of things,those guy were just tougher and meaner then but just not as fast.

15 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Alcoa even if  playing guys on both sides is going to be more then most schools can match because of their great talent most years.That is huge for a lot of 6A teams with big numbers but I'd still take a well conditioned player who runs a 4.5 over a fresh player who runs a 4.8 most times. No matter what class your in,you had better have a number 2 and 3 guy ready to go into a game at every position,even if you don't have great numbers.I know a guy who played on a team that had 13 players total back years ago and they had to go right side against left in practice and so on.I don't know what the outcome was but they actually played against Science Hill one year . Even back in the early years when the university of Tennessee was undefeated and unscored on in 1939,those guys played both ways.I knew one of those players  when he was an older man and  he could still whip most young guys. Maybe like a lot of things,those guy were just tougher and meaner then but just not as fast.

15 years ago I wouldn't have disagreed with you at all.  But the reality is that the game has significantly changed from then. 

When my son was playing high school football (he graduated in 2005) most offenses ran around 40 plays per game on a good night.  So even if a player went both ways the entire game, he was getting about 80 snaps.  

With today's fast offenses, that number can easily get to 70 snaps on each side.  

And that's not counting kicking snaps.  Got to add those, too, if guy are playing special teams, as well.  

Even for well conditioned athletes, an unmatured teenage body just can't stay full speed for that many plays, and especially bigger bodied kids playing up front.  And as the season wears on and especially in to the playoffs legs get tired and performance drops if a player is asked to go full bore ever play both ways.  That's just human body reaction.  

So, from what I have seen as the game has changed over the last 15 years or so, the schools that don't have to play as many guys both ways seem to perform better as we get late in to the season and in to the playoffs, and by sheer numbers and depth, the bigger schools do have an advantage there.  

And that's not a slight against the smaller classifications.  Just the reality of numbers.  

41 minutes ago, HTV said:

15 years ago I wouldn't have disagreed with you at all.  But the reality is that the game has significantly changed from then. 

When my son was playing high school football (he graduated in 2005) most offenses ran around 40 plays per game on a good night.  So even if a player went both ways the entire game, he was getting about 80 snaps.  

With today's fast offenses, that number can easily get to 70 snaps on each side.  

And that's not counting kicking snaps.  Got to add those, too, if guy are playing special teams, as well.  

Even for well conditioned athletes, an unmatured teenage body just can't stay full speed for that many plays, and especially bigger bodied kids playing up front.  And as the season wears on and especially in to the playoffs legs get tired and performance drops if a player is asked to go full bore ever play both ways.  That's just human body reaction.  

So, from what I have seen as the game has changed over the last 15 years or so, the schools that don't have to play as many guys both ways seem to perform better as we get late in to the season and in to the playoffs, and by sheer numbers and depth, the bigger schools do have an advantage there.  

And that's not a slight against the smaller classifications.  Just the reality of numbers.  

No doubt it better to have quality depth and those numbers are one of the reasons we have so many public classifications these days.Yes there are smaller 3a and 4a schools like Alcoa, Greeneville and Elizabethton who have handed to the bigger 5a and 6a teams  with more depth but there is more then numbers at play there.Just because a hundred or more kids come out for some of those big schools,it doesn't matter because some of those coaches couldn't carry  many of the Greeneville coaches jock strap.I seen it first hand with a 6a programs weight training a few years ago.A coach punished the whole team because it took his strongest player longer to get his weights on and off. I would have challenged the whole team to get stronger instead of belittling the strongest player.Four of his top lineman quit that team and one of them  will soon be in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

No doubt it better to have quality depth and those numbers are one of the reasons we have so many public classifications these days.Yes there are smaller 3a and 4a schools like Alcoa, Greeneville and Elizabethton who have handed to the bigger 5a and 6a teams  with more depth but there is more then numbers at play there.Just because a hundred or more kids come out for some of those big schools,it doesn't matter because some of those coaches couldn't carry  many of the Greeneville coaches jock strap.I seen it first hand with a 6a programs weight training a few years ago.A coach punished the whole team because it took his strongest player longer to get his weights on and off. I would have challenged the whole team to get stronger instead of belittling the strongest player.Four of his top lineman quit that team and one of them  will soon be in the NFL.

Look.  I'm not dogging Greeneville here. I said as much.  And Eddie Spradlen is a very good friend.  His father is a good friend, my son played with his younger brother coming up.  I watched Eddie play from the time he was about 8 years old and still talk with him often.   He and his staff are as good as any out there.  Not at all speaking negatively about that program.  

My point was that smaller schools who don't have as many players and have to rely on too many kids both ways are at a disadvantage.  Greeneville is an exception, not the rule.  You can disagree with me, but don't point fingers about something that wasn't ever inferred.  

On 9/11/2021 at 1:34 PM, HTV said:

Keep in mind that South Doyle is now in 4A.  Have a feeling those two will see each other in the playoffs.  

South Doyle is a very physical defensive team, and they have one of the best running backs in the state.  

I'm sure my good friend, Eddie Spradlen, isn't looking past anybody at this point.  Greeneville fans would be wise not to, either.  

They did that back in 2007 I think it was and MARYVILLE handed it to them.

40 minutes ago, HTV said:

Look.  I'm not dogging Greeneville here. I said as much.  And Eddie Spradlen is a very good friend.  His father is a good friend, my son played with his younger brother coming up.  I watched Eddie play from the time he was about 8 years old and still talk with him often.   He and his staff are as good as any out there.  Not at all speaking negatively about that program.  

My point was that smaller schools who don't have as many players and have to rely on too many kids both ways are at a disadvantage.  Greeneville is an exception, not the rule.  You can disagree with me, but don't point fingers about something that wasn't ever inferred.  

I think we are saying the exact same thing. I'm not in disagreement or taking it as an Attack on the Devils.Your right and yes there are a few exceptions as we both mentioned.I was also saying that even with the advantages of numbers,some big schools just don't have the coaching and weight training that they should have with the money that has been thrown at the programs.

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

I think we are saying the exact same thing. I'm not in disagreement or taking it as an Attack on the Devils.Your right and yes there are a few exceptions as we both mentioned.I was also saying that even with the advantages of numbers,some big schools just don't have the coaching and weight training that they should have with the money that has been thrown at the programs.

Batman it still baffles me that all the great teams that DB has had the last 25 years and they never won a State Championship.