Bearden open

HTV

11 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

Why no confidence friend? From what I hear on my perch at West high they are working around the staffing issues in a creative way. West doesn't have any PE teachers that don't coach. How many does Bearden have?

Would have to check the staff directory against tssaa coaching site. would take some time to do 

13 minutes ago, RPohnO said:

I am confused. I didn't realize people taught PE that didn't coach a sport. I am all for schools focusing on academic rigor, and ensuring qualified candidates in the academic setting, but PE should be reserved for coaches. Period. Does Bearden really have a bunch of PE teachers not coaching? That seems to be the easy solution there...

Teaching and coaching responsibilities are not connected in KCS. If they choose to coach, then great. If not, that's fine too. Honestly, I don't think that is a bad model to follow when they compensate coaches so poorly in KCS. Admin will have to be creative when they hire to either hire someone in a TA type role or hire someone who does not need a position at the school. This could be done because they have assistant coaches in the building that could handle the academic side for an HC that was not involved at the school.

2 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Teaching and coaching responsibilities are not connected in KCS. If they choose to coach, then great. If not, that's fine too. Honestly, I don't think that is a bad model to follow when they compensate coaches so poorly in KCS. Admin will have to be creative when they hire to either hire someone in a TA type role or hire someone who does not need a position at the school. This could be done because they have assistant coaches in the building that could handle the academic side for an HC that was not involved at the school.

FHSA gonna have to disagree here, HC who isnt at the school would be at a major disadvantage and would not be viewed positively by the community imo. And any principal worth anything is going to want to have their HC in the building. Football is the front porch of your school and if the HC isn't even there during the day then what are you even doing with the culture of your high school? "academic side of things" is a pretty large facet of a program and includes discipline, relationships with teachers, recruiting the hallways, etc. One of the assistant coaches would end up being de facto HC from 8:00-3:45 and that wouldn't end well IMO JMO TIFWIW

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Although it "could" be done, I don't think it's a good look when your HC isn't in the building. I cannot imagine this happening. Also, I understand coaching and teaching not being linked in all of the other teaching positions in the building, but think it would be perfectly reasonable, and understandable, for high school PE teachers to be expected to coach something. PE teachers aren't pushing the growth & achievement needle. 

2 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

I'm sure an FHS guy doesn't mind there being staff congestion at Bearden. If what I'm hearing is true they have had to work around teachers not coaching. To me that is abhorrent. You look at West and see a common sense approach to running a school. They have made athletics a priority and hired solid men and women that build relationships in the classroom and coach their rear ends off.

1 minute ago, RPohnO said:

Although it "could" be done, I don't think it's a good look when your HC isn't in the building. I cannot imagine this happening. Also, I understand coaching and teaching not being linked in all of the other teaching positions in the building, but think it would be perfectly reasonable, and understandable, for high school PE teachers to be expected to coach something. PE teachers aren't pushing the growth & achievement needle. 

I just don't see PE and coaching to ever be a package deal in KCS. That's just the way the world works right now on that system.

3 minutes ago, PostingGawd39 said:

FHSA gonna have to disagree here, HC who isnt at the school would be at a major disadvantage and would not be viewed positively by the community imo. And any principal worth anything is going to want to have their HC in the building. Football is the front porch of your school and if the HC isn't even there during the day then what are you even doing with the culture of your high school? "academic side of things" is a pretty large facet of a program and includes discipline, relationships with teachers, recruiting the hallways, etc. One of the assistant coaches would end up being de facto HC from 8:00-3:45 and that wouldn't end well IMO JMO TIFWIW

I imagine that once this transition is over and the new HC gets rid of the dead weight assistants that his new assistant coaches will be more than equipped to take care of the academic side of things in the building.

1 minute ago, edwardblake said:

I'm sure an FHS guy doesn't mind there being staff congestion at Bearden. If what I'm hearing is true they have had to work around teachers not coaching. To me that is abhorrent. You look at West and see a common sense approach to running a school. They have made athletics a priority and hired solid men and women that build relationships in the classroom and coach their rear ends off.

FHS is Fairley.

5 minutes ago, RPohnO said:

Same could be said for all teachers outside of Math, Science, English, IMO.

5 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Every teacher in that department coaches at the school.

I don't think this is true. There was a former OC that still teaches at Bearden, the HC that just stepped down, and I think a former track or girls basketball assistant? that is no longer coaching but still in PE. These all in addition to the supply PE job that just posted. 

Just now, FHSAlum12 said:

Same could be said for all teachers outside of Math, Science, English, IMO.

Do you really believe this? I think there is far more pressure on a principal to hire a quality math position, regardless of their coaching ability/willingness, than a PE position. Those who can't do, teach, and those who can't teach, teach gym is a funny old quote for a reason. PE teachers who don't coach are not good for a school. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RPohnO said:

I don't think this is true. There was a former OC that still teaches at Bearden, the HC that just stepped down, and I think a former track or girls basketball assistant? that is no longer coaching but still in PE. These all in addition to the supply PE job that just posted. 

Sounds like less of a staffing issue and more of a lack of administrative support. I have not heard of that many coaches resigning at the same place to pursue other opportunities.