Bearden open

HTV

Just now, RPohnO said:

Do you really believe this? I think there is far more pressure on a principal to hire a quality math position, regardless of their coaching ability/willingness, than a PE position. Those who can't do, teach, and those who can't teach, teach gym is a funny old quote for a reason. PE teachers who don't coach are not good for a school. 

That is what I am saying. The only teachers that really matter are Math, Science and English in a growth/achievement standpoint. "By golly the rest better be coachin"!!"

1 minute ago, RPohnO said:

My bad, yes, we are on the same page. 

Unfortunate case in KCS, is that the pay for coaching is so little... why would you want to coach there? And they don't help coaches out in the classroom with their teaching load either from what I have been told. So you end up having the same responsibility as the teacher next door during the day but work 20+ hours a week. I think that is why schools wont touch "moving people" from their teaching position when they quit coaching.

1 minute ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Unfortunate case in KCS, is that the pay for coaching is so little... why would you want to coach there? And they don't help coaches out in the classroom with their teaching load either from what I have been told. So you end up having the same responsibility as the teacher next door during the day but work 20+ hours a week. I think that is why schools wont touch "moving people" from their teaching position when they quit coaching.

Makes sense. So why can't someone who isn't in education at all be a Head Coach? Some guy who played back in 85' and approves loans from 7-3? Separation of powers. Let your teachers teach and your coaches coach. 

1 minute ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Some admins. do accommodate head coaches best they can on teaching responsibilities.  Some give the HC an extra planning period (usually 4th block so their teaching is over at 2:00), meaning they teach 2 blocks a day instead of 3.  Some also allow in school weight training classes so that athletes can weight train during the school day.  I have seen situations where neither of these accommodations are granted to the HC.  It all depends on the admin and if and how much they make athletics a priority.  

Just now, RPohnO said:

Makes sense. So why can't someone who isn't in education at all be a Head Coach? Some guy who played back in 85' and approves loans from 7-3? Separation of powers. Let your teachers teach and your coaches coach. 

I don't think there is a policy to keep that from happening and may happen at Bearden in this cycle. No teaching positions to work with but have a need for a football coach, they may be hamstrung into hiring someone that does not work in the school building. It is done in other sports and has been done at another school in KCS, recently.

Just now, oridgecat said:

Some admins. do accommodate head coaches best they can on teaching responsibilities.  Some give the HC an extra planning period (usually 4th block so their teaching is over at 2:00), meaning they teach 2 blocks a day instead of 3.  Some also allow in school weight training classes so that athletes can weight train during the school day.  I have seen situations where neither of these accommodations are granted to the HC.  It all depends on the admin and if and how much they make athletics a priority.  

Agreed, ORC. I apologize for the blanket statement. I imagine that is the case in most KCS schools though. Teach 3 classes, no football period, good luck!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

I don't think there is a policy to keep that from happening and may happen at Bearden in this cycle. No teaching positions to work with but have a need for a football coach, they may be hamstrung into hiring someone that does not work in the school building. It is done in other sports and has been done at another school in KCS, recently.

Well hellfire... guess I should dust off the old playbooks and throw my non-teaching self in there. I had assumed HC was never a possibility.

2 minutes ago, RPohnO said:

Well hellfire... guess I should dust off the old playbooks and throw my non-teaching self in there. I had assumed HC was never a possibility.

I am just saying that there is not a policy keeping that from happening. @HTV would know better than me. But, I think it would take a special administrator willing to do something like that.

Edited by FHSAlum12
spelling error

4 hours ago, RPohnO said:

Reading all of the comments about how the administration doesn't care about football, why did the old HC resign? Isn't Bearden always right around .500 and in playoff contention? Was the community getting restless? Was the HC just over it? Anyways, wouldn't the DC be a prime option as a replacement? Don't know him or anything about him, but just looking at the performance of the defense, seems like he probably knows what he's doing. And if the school has no positions to offer external hires, wouldn't this make sense? First order of business would be fixing that god awful offense. 

Interesting. The current DC would be a great choice. He's young, but his defense did a great job. He's also a fine young man. My son played with Mickey at West many years ago and we thought highly of him.

Speaking of West, Scott Cummings should also be a top prospect. He knows how to build up a program and has tremendous success in multiple schools.

The two of them on the same staff would be dynamite!