Westview vs McKenzie (make-up game)

sportslover88

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

They look at three’s. Reason I say they better watch a team like North Green if they make state with a huge dominant post that will stop them from getting to the rim like Westview did and if the three’s aren’t falling they better be creating TO’s.

This was my exact thought as well as what @dmm88 said about attacking Barr who was in early foul trouble. McKenzie's guard play is ok, but they are in trouble if a team has a good inside game. I don't think they were rattled, but Westview's defense didn't give them many open looks. 

1 hour ago, BallIsLife1 said:

This was my exact thought as well as what @dmm88 said about attacking Barr who was in early foul trouble. McKenzie's guard play is ok, but they are in trouble if a team has a good inside game. I don't think they were rattled, but Westview's defense didn't give them many open looks. 

They had opportunities but like I said they didn’t do it. Your not going to force Westview out of their comfort zone throwing the ball around the perimeter. Need to be in attack mode and McKenzie I thought was just looking to shoot theee’s. 

• Like 1

Westview is the best team in west this year. We could beat them in a game, but I like the makeup of this Westview team. The 2-3 zone with Barr in the middle completely takes away the paint for opposing teams. You also have Jada on the right side of the floor on that 2-3 zone which takes away any opportunity for teams to get comfortable on the right side of the floor. If Westview is at full strength with no one in foul trouble, the only way to beat them is to shoot a high percentage from 3 as most teams won’t be able to match with their zone.

As for McKenzie, they will be fine. There are not many Single A teams that run like they do. Also, North Greene’s big hasn’t exactly gotten back to where she was last season. McKenzie may or may not win it all, but they’re the best team in Single A.

2 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Westview is the best team in west this year. We could beat them in a game, but I like the makeup of this Westview team. The 2-3 zone with Barr in the middle completely takes away the paint for opposing teams. You also have Jada on the right side of the floor on that 2-3 zone which takes away any opportunity for teams to get comfortable on the right side of the floor. If Westview is at full strength with no one in foul trouble, the only way to beat them is to shoot a high percentage from 3 as most teams won’t be able to match with their zone.

As for McKenzie, they will be fine. There are not many Single A teams that run like they do. Also, North Greene’s big hasn’t exactly gotten back to where she was last season. McKenzie may or may not win it all, but they’re the best team in Single A.

Westview has proved that they are hard to press against. They got lots of open looks against GC’s and McKenzie’s press and Jada just hasn’t turned it over. Westview’s players always with their hands up and very fundamental in their 2-3 zone GC is a man to man team but they got to keep Jada from penetrating in the paint or they may have to do something different. Don’t know that they will but they may not have much choice if they have problems with her. And this is all speculation. But “if” and only “if” these two meet for a 4th time and a home substate matchup is on the line never know what you might see from either squad as both teams will pull out all stops. McKenzie is the best team in Single A. Gleason has proved by beating Clay County by 17 or so that Single A is down state wide across the river, IMO. We don’t know yet if they are the second best team in West TN yet.We played North Green this summer without the big post and another guard that got hurt playing us and they are still a dangerous team. Yeah they turn it over some but McKenzie shoots the ball like they did against Westview they are apt to lose to anyone late in the year even though Single A is down. It has been a long season because they have no depth. They get 30 point leads and starters are still on the floor. They are an outstanding shooting team and create a lot of offense with their defense but their lack of post play scares me a little.

Edited by pioneer42

6 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Westview has proved that they are hard to press against. They got lots of open looks against GC’s and McKenzie’s press and Jada just hasn’t turned it over. Westview’s players always with their hands up and very fundamental in their 2-3 zone GC is a man to man team but they got to keep Jada from penetrating in the paint or they may have to do something different. Don’t know that they will but they may not have much choice if they have problems with her. And this is all speculation. But “if” and only “if” these two meet for a 4th time and a home substate matchup is on the line never know what you might see from either squad as both teams will pull out all stops. McKenzie is the best team in Single A. Gleason has proved by beating Clay County by 17 or so that Single A is down state wide across the river, IMO. We don’t know yet if they are the second best team in West TN yet.We played North Green this summer without the big post and another guard that got hurt playing us and they are still a dangerous team. Yeah they turn it over some but McKenzie shoots the ball like they did against Westview they are apt to lose to anyone late in the year even though Single A is down. It has been a long season because they have no depth. They get 30 point leads and starters are still on the floor. They are an outstanding shooting team and create a lot of offense with their defense but their lack of post play scares me a little.

spot on assessment the one thing I would mention is foul trouble. They have been pretty fortunate so far this year. There has only been a couple games where I noticed a couple of players had to go soft on defense in the 4th quarter to keep from fouling out.  The biggest thing the Lady Rebels will have going for them come post season tournaments is confidence they have played a pretty good schedule and wont be intimidated by anyone.

1 hour ago, GTG901 said:

spot on assessment the one thing I would mention is foul trouble. They have been pretty fortunate so far this year. There has only been a couple games where I noticed a couple of players had to go soft on defense in the 4th quarter to keep from fouling out.  The biggest thing the Lady Rebels will have going for them come post season tournaments is confidence they have played a pretty good schedule and wont be intimidated by anyone.

I agree. A parent with a kid on the fence about playing basketball might want to give it a try in McKenzie especially if they are pretty athletic. They need bodies in a bad way. They are pretty disciplined and don’t get into foul trouble that often but I agree. Good luck moving forward. I think McKenzie will be fine. Just have to hit a few shots and stay disciplined.