Way too early 1A favorites 2022-2023

Mottomotto

Just now, BooYah3x said:

Good point…Prime example last year substate we (Middleton) was the #1 ranked team in Single A and had to play the #2 ranked team (MAHS) 

Rankings mean nothing. You know how many times I’ve seen 32-0 teams come to Murfreesboro and get waxed by a 22-10 team?  Way too many to count I can tell you that. It’s about competition not records or “polls”

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

Rankings mean nothing. You know how many times I’ve seen 32-0 teams come to Murfreesboro and get waxed by a 22-10 team?  Way too many to count I can tell you that. It’s about competition not records or “polls”

I would agree it is about competition and matchups. But, the only time Clay County has ever beaten a team from the west at the state tournament was in 2021. I would say that last years Peabody team was the 3rd best team from the west, but got hot at the right time. Going through Memphis is extremely tough in basketball and teams that don't have to do that do not understand how truly hard it is. 

1 minute ago, thunderbolts said:

I would agree it is about competition and matchups. But, the only time Clay County has ever beaten a team from the west at the state tournament was in 2021. I would say that last years Peabody team was the 3rd best team from the west, but got hot at the right time. Going through Memphis is extremely tough in basketball and teams that don't have to do that do not understand how truly hard it is. 

I remember a few years ago during a substate game the lights went out at the school that was hosting in Memphis. To complete the game they moved the game to another gym. The team from rural West TN. was up by a few points at the point of interruption, but when they resumed it at the new location the Memphis team absolutely blew the rural team out. I believe it ended near a 25-30 point game. When you go into Memphis you have no idea what will happen.

1 hour ago, thunderbolts said:

I remember a few years ago during a substate game the lights went out at the school that was hosting in Memphis. To complete the game they moved the game to another gym. The team from rural West TN. was up by a few points at the point of interruption, but when they resumed it at the new location the Memphis team absolutely blew the rural team out. I believe it ended near a 25-30 point game. When you go into Memphis you have no idea what will happen.

Competition not the same in East Tennessee…It’s always hard to go to Memphis and win!!! 

1 hour ago, BooYah3x said:

Competition not the same in East Tennessee…It’s always hard to go to Memphis and win!!! 

On that I will agree. The problem is you have kids switching teams even during post season. You may play a Memphis school during the regular season and they have 2-3 different players come post season. I know this to be a fact!

• Like 1